Author Topic: Summoning Necromancer for campaign need advice.  (Read 1132 times)

Stormcrow

• Bi-Curious George
Summoning Necromancer for campaign need advice.
« on: August 30, 2009, 11:20:40 PM »

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
Re: Summoning Necromancer for campaign need advice.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 11:35:41 PM »
For all your necromantic needs.

I would replace one of those feats with Lord of the Uttercold (Complete Arcane)--Probably Spell Focus (conjuration), since you get Augment Summoning for free as a Thaumaturgist (and Augment Summoning is really the only reason to take Spell Focus (conjuration)). Also, you seem to be trying to focus more on summoning than necromancy--I'd take your character in one direction and not try to split your area of expertise. It can be quite a hassle to play a character with lots of minions.

Stormcrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 12:06:27 AM »
well like I said Optomiseing is not my strong suit

but i think you may be right about one area or the other.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 02:45:13 AM »
Thaumaturgist doesn't really mix very well with malconvoker in my opinion, since you want augment summoning much sooner than 9th level and the other abilities are only decent.  I'd replace it with another PrC personally.  One of the other possible issues with the build you had is that your level for rebuking undead will be very low after you start thaumaturgist and malconvoker.

I think you might really appreciate the Master of Shrouds PrC though - it's one that focuses on summoning incorporeal undead, and it also advances your rebuking level.  At the risk of being conceited, here's my guide to the PrC: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3310.0

As for feats, I'd trade out Nimble Bones and Spontaneous Summoner for something else, maybe some metamagic like Quicken or Extend/Persist.  A lot depends on how many CLs you sacrifice for PrC power though.

Good luck!