Author Topic: Checking the feasibility of a homebrew Casting PRC  (Read 1065 times)

Paradox

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Checking the feasibility of a homebrew Casting PRC
« on: August 27, 2009, 02:52:42 AM »
I've just joined a game and the DM has a few homebrews.  I tend to stay away from those, but this caught my eye:

Quote from: mjrbatou
Witch

Prereqs:
-Spellcraft 9 ranks, Perform (any) 4 ranks
-Ability to cast 4th level spells
-Special: Must have at least 1 ounce of Rhodochrosite (Inca Rose) on their person to use abilities from this class.

BAB, saves, and Skills as Wizard

1-Free Metamagic 1 3/day : (can apply a 1-slot metamagic, such as still spell, to a spell without spending a higher level slot or increasing casting time)
2-add Target 1/day : (can affect one additional target with spells such as vampiric touch and charm person)
2- +1 caster level
3-Free Metamagic 2 2/day : (can apply a 2-slot metamagic, such as empower spell, to a spell without spending a higher level slot or increasing casting time)
4-Reshape Spell 1/day : (Spells that cover an area can be cast in any shape, so long as the area does not exceed normal)
4- +1 caster level
5-add target 2/day
6-Free Metamagic 3 1/day : (can apply a 3-slot metamagic, such as Maximize spell, to a spell without spending a higher level slot or increasing casting time)
6- +1 caster level
7-Reshape spell 2/day
8-add target 3/day
8- +1 caster level
9-Free Metamagic 4 1/day : (can apply a 4-slot metamagic, such as Quicken spell, to a spell without spending a higher level slot or increasing casting time)
10-Supernatural Magic : (all spells cast are considered Supernatural effects that do not provoke attacks of opportunity)
10-reshape spell 3/day
10- +1caster level

For easy reading, here is the points of the build,
  • +1 to caster level every even level (big no no which makes me want to ignore the class
  • every three levels you get the equivalent of sudden metamagic for 1-4 spell slots for any metamagic (though it doesn't say you have to KNOW the metamagic, I'd like to stay away from semantical cheese like that)
  • Here is part one of what caught my eye. You get to create additional targets for spells that normally have only one target.  Polymorph you AND the fighter so it's not just a big piece of sad? Usable up to three per day.
  • Reshape spell: blagh, archmage does this better
  • And the feature that made me seriously consider this, all spells become supernatural at the 10th level of this

Now, be aware that with most homebrew thingys, the Dm can swoop down and errata the bastard, like that magic koopa that still pisses me off when I'm right about to get to bowser.

The parts of the class I like is the additional targets for the spells, and the supernatural sexyspell at 10th.  Only thing is we probably will cap out at level 16ish so the only way I think this will work is with sublime chord.

Any thoughts?

Also the sources for the game, which will impact opinions, is
Any books are OK so long as i have the source material, or you provide it.

Characters start at ECL12 and can be any race.

90,000g start, no item valued over 25,000g allowed.

PB 35 only.

Characters (and monsters) will recieve max HP for all HD.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Checking the feasibility of a homebrew Casting PRC
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 04:59:29 AM »
I seriously doubt he's going to let the spells ignore components with that supernatural spell ability.  Ask him that first.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Paradox

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Re: Checking the feasibility of a homebrew Casting PRC
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 06:48:56 AM »
Ya, he's not gonna go for that.  :( :( :(