Author Topic: The ultimate rogue  (Read 5568 times)

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
The ultimate rogue
« on: August 25, 2009, 03:06:07 AM »
Let's see it. I might be playing this in a game, so not too rediculous, but I'd love to see the best rogue you people can come up with. Completes, Core, and probably some other stuff would be available on demand, but I'd prefer to stay in core for races. Currently, I have absolutely no actual plans for this character, so whatever level 20 builds you guys can come up with.
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
Re: The ultimate rogue
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 03:13:38 AM »
Let's see it. I might be playing this in a game, so not too rediculous, but I'd love to see the best rogue you people can come up with. Completes, Core, and probably some other stuff would be available on demand, but I'd prefer to stay in core for races. Currently, I have absolutely no actual plans for this character, so whatever level 20 builds you guys can come up with.

Factotem 1/Wizard 4/Unseen Seer 4/Abjurant Champion 5/Eldritch Knight 6 selecting Hunter's Eye as your US spell.  Changeling or Human recommended, with Able Learner and Jack of All Trades.  Get's BAB 16 with CL 18, good skills (from high Int if nothing else, and access to all of them), at least 7d6 SA, Iaijutsu Focus if it's allowed, 9th level arcane spells with trapfinding (and improved uncanny dodge if you're tricky about it), plenty of melee capability, all the sneakiness you could ever want, and nice defenses from both the spell access and the stuff from AC.  It's the product of zergling on 339, from the thread "The Ultimate Assassin."
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 03:15:56 AM »
Human, maxed out Int and Cha, decent Dex and Con, dump the other two, UMD at max ranks...  You know, the usual!  :p
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 03:31:27 AM »
This sure looks like a rogue to me!

Human Factotum 1/Cloistered Cleric 19. Able Learner. (6+int sp at each level)

Actually, since spells become more important later on, perhaps something like

Female Human Factotum 1/Cloistered Cleric 7/Hathran 10/Divine Oracle 2 (6+int sp for first 8 levels, then 2+int)

Or this one. Sneak Attack!

Whisper Gnome Beguiler 5/Mindbender 1/Unseen Seer 10/Beguiler +2/Wyrm Wizard 2 (6+int sp for Beguiler and US, 2+int for the mindbender dip, 4+int for WW dip)
Mindsight, Arcane Preparation, Practiced Spellcaster (Beguiler)
Grab Shades with Advanced Learning, and Shapechange through Wyrm Wizard. Win.

edit:
Human, maxed out Int and Cha, decent Dex and Con, dump the other two, UMD at max ranks...  You know, the usual!  :p
Thanks for reminding me! I forgot one: Monk 20, max cross-class UMD. Purchase partially charged wands.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 03:35:19 AM by Emy »

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 03:42:35 AM »
druid 20?

no really..

actually after hanging out on these boards for long enough, i dont know that i can define what a 'rogue' is anymore..

i think its a wizard or some other full caster that is hard to detect, opens locks, detects traps, is nimble, otherwise hard to hit, and hit hard in sensitive places.. but like i said im not sure...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 03:45:10 AM by altpersona »
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 03:50:37 AM »
druid 20?

no really..

actually after hanging out on these boards for long enough, i dont know that i can define what a 'rogue' is anymore..

i think its a wizard or some other full caster that is hard to detect, opens locks, detects traps, is nimble, otherwise hard to hit, and hit hard in sensitive places.. but like i said im not sure...

Rogue
n.

1. An unprincipled, deceitful, and unreliable person; a scoundrel or rascal.

Nongood, nonlawful face man with high bluff?

2. One who is playfully mischievous; a scamp.

Wizard with prestidigitation making everyone's food taste of arsenic and become bright pink?

3. A wandering beggar; a vagrant.

Vow of Poverty Cleric of Fharlanghn?

4. A vicious and solitary animal, especially an elephant that has separated itself from its herd.

Magebred Warbeast Horrid Elephant?

5. An organism, especially a plant, that shows an undesirable variation from a standard.

Blighter.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 03:59:04 AM »
There's always my Iconic...a dragonborn Bozak draconian with LA bought off.  20 racial HD (all dragon HD mind you), and a Tome of Ancient Lore for NI arcane spells known (which is also any <any> ANY[/i][/u] spell that has ever been on an arcane list by any means, ever).

20/20, every feat free, any class ability you want available if you snoop long enough, a functional breath weapon with Ex flight and built in Nat Armor, and did I mention full casting with 20 BAB?  Since someone has made it arcane at some point in time (and if they haven't...make it ironclad with Leadership and take a mystic theurge cohort to shut up the DM), throw up a greater consumptive field, start pwning the mooks, and then cast hunter's eye for bookoo SA :P
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 03:59:32 AM »
put all that in one build and you have something..

its ugly, but its something..
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 04:04:50 AM »
I had a Shadow-Walker Dark Whisper Gnome Rogue 5 / Spellthief 1 / Swordsage 2 build I used.
44 HP, 25 AC, +8d6+10 SA (without using hunter's eye), ddoor 2/day, primary attack was an at will scorching ray (+12/+12 ranged touch 4d6 fire) and a massive +47 to hide and +37 to move silently.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

DimitriX

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Don't mess with The Gardener!
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 07:45:07 AM »
I used to play Changeling Rogue 5 / Monk 2 / Warshaper 4 / Exemplar 8 / Nightsong Enforcer 1 (or something like that) and Epic Contemplative 2 so I could have Dexterous Fortitude / Will. But, this build is very feat hungry. My DM has pointed out that if you want a Prestige Class with many requirements and you don't have one of them, you can take the prestige class if you find and in-game way to do so. For example I tried very hard in order to be a Warshaper..
Quote from: Kuroimaken
Women and RPGs are very similar in one respect - it's all in how you play them.
Quote from: Ieniemienie
If it fits in crabs, it fits in books too.

Looking For Group, probably the funniest online comic together with Order of the Stick

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 12:06:27 PM »
It's really sad how many of these use little or no actual "Rogue" and none use all Rogue.  Not saying it's wrong from an ops point of view, but it's really sad.  Rogues were my first class!

Anyway, I'll throw in Whispergnome Factotum 19/Mindbender 1 with Mindsight, Darkstalker, EWP: Quickrazor, Create Wonderous Item, and three Fonts of Inspiration.  Invisible, can see almost all enemies, can make necessary tools, and then can bust out all the crazy Factotum 19 abilities...

JaronK

Khorus

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • TPK FTW!
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 12:19:10 PM »
Factotum/Chamelon

Artificer 20 :)

Soda

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 12:58:07 PM »
How about a simple daring outlaw?

Rogue 4 / Barbarian 1 / Swordsage 2-4 / Swashbuckler 11-13

I mean, it's not a caster or anything...   :(

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 03:03:10 PM »
Actually, so far, the Factotum is my favourite. Because... It is.

Hathran is from FR, correct?

I like the Factotum 1/Wizard 4 build alot, though I don't see the point of taking factotum at all.

I think staying away from casting is a good idea for this one, at least, 9th level casting. In the game (or, the main game) I'm playing, everyone is playing Wizards, Clerics and Druids, and I'm a little sick of them. The worst part is how we still aren't decimating encounters, because the rest of my group is idiots. (We have an Evoker, an Enchanter and my Conjurer, along with a Cleric of Kord and a Druid. Also a Ranger and a Rogue, but they show up rarely.)
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

DimitriX

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 09:56:17 AM »
A nice one I always wanted to play is Rogue 3 / Swashbuckler 3 / Master Thrower 5 / Invisible Blade 5 or something like that

Looking For Group, probably the funniest online comic together with Order of the Stick

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2009, 11:13:21 AM »
Swashbuckler +4 afterward?

I wouldn't mind an Invisible Blade build for fun if they hadn't nerfed their feint ability to near-uselessness.  If they had just limited it to either one check per attack or one check for all attacks for one round, it would still have prevented the unlimited checks cheese and at least kept the class viable... :nonono
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2009, 12:59:57 PM »
Actually, there's a feat in DotU (IIRC) that lets your feint last all round, and apply to the rest of your party too.  So it's okay.

JaronK

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2009, 01:38:46 PM »
A nice one I always wanted to play is Rogue 3 / Swashbuckler 3 / Master Thrower 5 / Invisible Blade 5 or something like that

I once played a Rogue/Master Thrower/Invisible Blade in a 3.5e Dark Sun game.  It's an alright build until you come up against something with any amount of DR.
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

DimitriX

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2009, 02:47:04 PM »
I once played a Rogue/Master Thrower/Invisible Blade in a 3.5e Dark Sun game.  It's an alright build until you come up against something with any amount of DR.

You are more than right about this one!  :P
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 07:29:51 PM by DimitriX »

keyes2k4

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2009, 02:55:51 PM »
How about something like this...
Rogue x/shadowdancer 1
Max slight of hand (I.E. good dex, skill focus, boosts from other classes such as marshal)

Use slight of hand as a free action to steal all the small objects off of your opponent while taking a -20 to each check for them to notice your thieving.  Then use hide in plain sight to disappear from their sight.     ;)