Author Topic: Factotum for 4th-level party  (Read 4733 times)

Mushroom Ninja

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
Factotum for 4th-level party
« on: August 22, 2009, 03:40:57 PM »
I'm joining a 4th level party consisting of a cleric/wizard (heading for theurge), Wizard/Psion (heading for cerebremancer), Cleric/Healer (planning to do god knows what), some sort of up front guy, and some sort of Half-Ogre Warhulk monstrosity heading for hulking hurler.   I've wanted to make a factotum for a long time and now seems a perfect opportunity.

Books:
All 3.5 books are available (I may be able to talk the DM into allowing some 3.0, but I'm not sure).  WotC web enhancements are probably good too.  Dungeon/Dragon are probably a no-go.

Houserules:
I think the DM's convinced that trip attempts can't be used to replace AoOs (even with Improved Trip)
Ability generation[spoiler]The DM is letting us shift 84 points around between stats at a 1-1 basis.  For example, Str 18, Dex 12, Con 18, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 12 could be generated.  So could Str 18, Dex 18, Con 18, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 10. 
HP

However, the DM says that, after race/age modifiers are applied, all stats must be at least 10[/spoiler]

My thoughts so far:
So far I was thinking of being a Venerable Dragonwrought kobold focusing on int and dex and playing either an archer or dipping 1 level of Master of Masks for proficiency in everything and using twf+quickdraw.
Beyond that my basic plan was to spam FoI.

I've never played Factotum before, so I don't know all the tricks.  I'd be interested to hear any suggestions.   :)

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
Re: Factotum for 4th-level party
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 05:49:41 PM »
You could try to take levels in chameleon which further enhances your versatility. And all it really costs you is one of your first level feats and your factotum levels. A factotum/chameleon is pretty powerful and allows you to do whatever you feel like to a decent degree of competence.

Mushroom Ninja

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 06:05:07 PM »
You could try to take levels in chameleon which further enhances your versatility. And all it really costs you is one of your first level feats and your factotum levels. A factotum/chameleon is pretty powerful and allows you to do whatever you feel like to a decent degree of competence.
How would you suggest prioritizing stats with chameleon?  Int first, obviously, but then what?

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 06:12:15 PM »
There's a handbook which might help.  I'm a fan of Master of Poisons, but that won't get really strong until about level 10.  One fun option is a dip into Swordsage, as your Factotum 3 ability means you can be a Dex and Int based tripper (using Swordsage manuevers like Mighty Throw).  Plus, Swordsage Shadow Hand manuevers provide excellent stealth options.  Another option is to use a Gnomish Quickrazor to use with Iajuitsu Focus for damage.

Really, Factotums are incredibly flexible, so you have to decide what you want to do, roughly.  But you can't go wrong with some Fonts of Inspiration.

JaronK

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 06:15:34 PM »
Yeah, getting Oriental Adventures for the Iaijutsu Focus skill is a great idea.  Even with only the bonus from skill ranks and a +2 for a masterwork sheath, it's still a good source of bonus dice.

Plus, you can karate chop through bricks and stuff.  How awesome is that?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 10:27:45 PM »
How would you suggest prioritizing stats with chameleon?  Int first, obviously, but then what?

Probably int-> wis (for the spells) = Con->dex-> str= cha

Charisma is greater then strength if you plan on using Iaijutsu Focus.

They are all usefully for your character though which could make a belt of magnificence a good investment. only 200,000 for a +6 to all stats, which is a good deal if you can make use of all those increases, which you can do.

The best distributions for the levels is factotum 11/ chameleon 9 which gives you most of the good features of chameleon and the ability to ignore spell resistance and damage reduction. The extra standard actions from factotum will also be excellent with your arcane and divine casting from chameleon.

The other distribution is factotum 8/ chameleon 10/ other 2 which gives you a bit more flexibility in what you can choose and the decent capstone from chameleon.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 10:56:55 PM »
And of course there's always Factotum 20... the Factotum level 19 ability is easily one of the strongest abilities in existance, if you dig around for really good Ex abilities.

JaronK

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 11:11:07 PM »
It is very powerful but you do not gain access to it until that very high level while the factotum chameleon is more powerful and versatile until that point, primarily due to its amazing spell casting and other chameleon goodies. I think the best setup for the factotum chameleons progression is probably something like fact5/cham3/fact3/cham2/fact3/cham4.

The best part is that chameleons can effectively cast any spell that is below level 6, from any list in any book, which makes things like the trap smith (conveniently from the same book as the factotum) incredible classes to take spells from due to the spells that can be gained at lower levels then normal. And you can access all those spells without dm help via use of the floating feat being used to acquire the extra spell feat to gain the spell and then prepare it, then just scribe it into your spell book by expending the spell. You then select a different spell the next day and scribe it as well, and all of them are still in the spell book. For the divine side it is even easier as you can just access all divine spells like a cleric does for its spell list. Even domains are not unavailable due to the divine crusade prestige class which treats a domains spell list as a class spell list.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 11:15:24 PM »
True.  I was just putting out options... the Chameleon one is certainly a strong one.  However, if he wants to do a Dragonwrought Kobold (which he said in the OP) Chameleon is not an option.

JaronK

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 11:28:40 PM »
Goliath factotum3

Feats: combat expertise, improved trip

Even with the nerfed trip rules you'll end up with a trip modifer of 8 (4 from powerful build, 4 from improved trip) + str modifer + int modifer due to brains over brawn. Factotums are proficient with martial weapons so you can get a reach trip weapon in the guisarme with armor spikes.

Mushroom Ninja

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 11:53:20 PM »
True.  I was just putting out options... the Chameleon one is certainly a strong one.  However, if he wants to do a Dragonwrought Kobold (which he said in the OP) Chameleon is not an option.

JaronK
Actually, I'm not set on Kobold.  I'm pretty much cool with any race.

If I were to go the Chameleon rout, would Zen Archery/Intuitive Attack be worth the feat?

Also, if I were to play a Kobold, would I be better off going with Iaijutsu Focused quickblades or Archery?

Oh, by the way, I just remembered -- I can take 2 flaws.  I should have mentioned it earlier.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 12:21:03 AM »
Don't forget to snag Planar Touchstone and Extra Slot twice, along with Sanctum Spell.  It will net you double 9's.  If you're really tricky about it and/or can use fractional BAB, shoot for 16 BAB pre-epic without using spells (or start into Cleric for Initiate of Mystra).  Snag Academic Priest to make the divine side also Int based, grab the spell Ability Enhancer for a free +2 on all your buffs, and save 200k on the belt (or make a Monk's Belt of Battle, for still WAY less than a +6 MagBelt).  Hell, you can probably still squeeze Persistent Spell in there.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 01:27:09 AM »
And of course there's always Factotum 20... the Factotum level 19 ability is easily one of the strongest abilities in existance, if you dig around for really good Ex abilities.

JaronK
I thought it was limited to the standard classes, which is defined as the PHB classes only. Do class subs work?
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 02:04:57 AM »
I thought it was limited to the standard classes, which is defined as the PHB classes only. Do class subs work?

It just says "standard character class."  That's not a perfectly defined term, but it most likely means base class, as opposed to Prestige Classes.  Certainly, there's nothing to suggest it's PHB only anywhere I've seen.

Some of the more amusing abilities to duplicate are the feats of a Fighter (which in the Fighter entry is one ability, and feats are defined as being Ex unless otherwise noted) or the spellcasting of a Sorcerer (spellcasting itself is also Ex, see MMV or the definitions of ability types on PHB 180) or the manuevers of a Warblade (also defined as Ex except where noted).  There's no sense getting Wizard casting, since you won't have time to load up on spells.

JaronK

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2009, 10:52:42 AM »
It just says "standard character class."  That's not a perfectly defined term, but it most likely means base class, as opposed to Prestige Classes.  Certainly, there's nothing to suggest it's PHB only anywhere I've seen.

Which block of text is seen on page 31 of the PHBII?
A: "To complement the eleven standard classes presented in the Player's Handbook, supplements such as the Complete series have introduced additional classes. This chapter provides advice and insight on the eighteen classes that fit well within most D&D games and presents a set of options to enhance characters of that class."

B: "To complement the eleven standard classes presented in the Player's Handbook, supplements such as the Complete series have introduced additional standard classes. This chapter provides advice and insight on the eighteen standard classes that fit well within most D&D games and presents a set of options to enhance characters of that class."
Your answer here will point out when and where Standard Class is used and what it means when it is.

Question #2, what books use the words Standard Class?
A. Dungeonscape and PHB.
B. Complete Champion, Complete Mage, Dungeonscape, PHBII, and all the newer ones.
C. Dungeonscape and PHBII only.
The answer here will explain if Standard class is meant to replace Base Class

Given that dungeonscape defines Standard Classes as all the classes in the PHB as well as having class options printed in the PHBII are Standard classes does this mean
A. If it's not listed in the PHBII with a class option it's not a standard class.
B. It must have a class options, which means Warlocks, Spellthieves, and a host of other base classes are out.
C. What ever gives the most pluses is allowed.
The answer here will just serve as a highlight.

Can you give me a page number for spellcasting to be an EX based ability in the MMV while your at it? The glossary does not define spellcasting as either Ex, Sp, or Su. Nor can the claim that they forgot to mark it means it is Ex since Spell Resistance is right before it and clearly marked Ex. And further more the Ex entry once again maintains that EX abilities are nonmagical. In another view of things, the chanting of abrakadabra while doing the lawnmower to cast a spell may very well be an Ex thing but without the magical element your just standing there embarrassing your self.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2009, 12:18:53 PM »
There are monsters with spellcasting.  Spellcasting is listed as (ex) for those monsters.

Furthermore, all abilities are either (ex),(sp), or (su).  It's possible (I'm not digging up the topic) to prove that spellcasting isn't (su) or (sp), thus by process of elimination leaving (ex).

Furthermore, the fact that the spell "invoke magic" works means that spellcasting is (ex).  In an AMF, you still possess spellcasting, even if none of your spells are functional.
Planetouched Handbook

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2009, 12:39:57 PM »
The most compelling argument that I have heard for spell casting being Ex is the fact that it has somatic, verbal and material components so it is not Spell like, and it cannot be used without provoking attacks of opportunity normally and can be interrupted so it is not supernatural.

Also I always interpreted the standard class thing to mean base classes. As that terminology is not well defined it could cause some debate which might be interesting.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2009, 01:03:18 PM »
Standard class seems to mean base class in the DMG.
Planetouched Handbook

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2009, 01:09:42 PM »
Okay, that seems reasonable and allows the factotum to access any of the various classes made available in supplements. Also it could be considered to allow ACFs which allows even more options.

One the topic of the chameleon one of its best features is the floating feat, which allows for the character to acquire situational abilities as needed. Such as picking up sun devotion before going to fight a vampire. Whenever I think of a factotum/chameleon the phrase that they would say a lot is "Guess what I can do today!" before using a tactic the enemy is weak against.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 01:13:15 PM by Havok4 »

Aliment

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Illithid Zombies
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2009, 02:31:51 PM »
I'm joining a 4th level party consisting of a cleric/wizard (heading for theurge), Wizard/Psion (heading for cerebremancer), Cleric/Healer (planning to do god knows what), some sort of up front guy, and some sort of Half-Ogre Warhulk monstrosity heading for hulking hurler.   I've wanted to make a factotum for a long time and now seems a perfect opportunity.
Not to be off-topic but your party is obscene.  You have 2 dual casters, a dual caster who can't even take a dual casting PrC (He could have just gone Radiant Servant), a fighter type, and someone who if played right will be destroying castles in 6 seconds.  The only role not significantly filled is trapfinding which I'm guessing you will be responsible for.

I always liked the Factotum 9/Ur-Priest 10 but you may not be able to swing Ur-Priest in your party.
True Sign of Player Paranoia:
Player:"I look out of the keep"
DM:"There are no visible armies"
Player:"Aw crap theres an Invisible army!"