Author Topic: A tier system that you have been asking for  (Read 2124 times)

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
A tier system that you have been asking for
« on: August 21, 2009, 01:39:43 AM »
It was suggested that with a change of focus I should start a new thread. I didn't quite have the time to do my previous one until it was clear that while it was a nice concept it was quite niche.

The Goal of this tier system is to get down to where general builds are.

Credit to Jaronk for the tier system.
Class 1s these classes are powerful and flexible. They can swap out bad options almost on the fly. They can easily have many high powered options such as save or dies, battlefield control, buffing, and other options.

Wujen*,  Wizard,  Spirit Shaman*, Erudite+spell to power, Druid, Cleric, Artificer, Archivist

Tier 2 Like the tier ones they have a lot of powerful options, but are limited to set spell lists, which means that while they were awesome yesterday, the day before they were using third tier spells for the situation that they were in.

Ardent, Beguiler+Arcane Disciple, Dread Necromancer+Arcane Disciple, Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wilder*, Binder+summoning vestige, Erudite

Tier 3 These people are very competent, and can do their jobs quite well and are good at what they do, as well as being decent at other options. Or they can have good versatility and be able to do anything at a good level, but not great level.

Versatile  Factotum, Spell Thief, Rogue, Scout, Coutier, Bard, Binder, Incarnate,Totemist, Beguiler, Wildshape Ranger

Very competent
 Truenamer+Item Familiar+Truename item by 4th and 7th, Warmage+Arcane Disciple, Psychic Warrior, Duskblade,  Shadow Caster(levels 7+), Warblade, Sword sage, Crusader, Dragonfire Adept, Warlock*, Healer+ corrupt and sanctified spells and a liberal DM, Shugenja,  Dread Necromancer

Tier 4 these classes can do their one job, and that's damn near it.   They can do other things very badly if at all.
          Hexblade, Marshal, Dragonshaman, Knight, Fighter+good feat set up , Barbarian(Pouncing and whirlwind variants), Ranger, Ninja, Rokugan Ninja, Sohei, Adept, Warmage, Paladin with battle caster and a good mount. Healer+sanctified spells

Tier 5 These classes have an niche like running fast, or having a pet that might be better than me, but they are just plain bad at things that matter.

Monk, Inkyo, Samurai+imperious command, Paladin, Divine Mind, Expert, Soulborn*, Swashbuckler, Soulknife. Fighter Shadow caster levels 1-6. Healer 1-16. Truenamer. Barbarian

Junk- Can we leave him behind and split the loot 3 ways instead of 4.
Commoner, warrior, Noble, Samurai,

The basis for this tier system is to measure classes based on where they are by themselves and to put them on where they have a tier changing option.  For an example a couple arcane disciple gives access to a wide swath of spells, which normally bump the know it all casters up a tier. Alternatively a fighter that has only access to core is going to suck down a  tier. There are enough feats outside of core in over 6  different sources to make him a tier 4 in general, so its not a case of a specific source putting him up a tier, but its that denial of sources drops him a tier.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 03:47:49 AM by lans »
Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
Re: A tier system that you have been asking for
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 01:40:26 AM »
I might need a reserve, Things might get complicated.

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 01:52:37 AM »
What are the asterisks?

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 01:57:32 AM »
That I Feel that they are low in the tier that they are in.

Amadi

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 07:45:47 AM »
Class 1s these classes are powerful and flexible. They can swap out bad options almost on the fly. They can easily have many high powered options such as save or dies, battlefield control, buffing, and other options.

.. What?

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 11:23:50 AM »

.. What?

Save or dies are pretty good options, especially when you can use the right one for the right situation, and when you get them at every spell level. It is also only part of its power.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 11:44:48 AM »
How is this different from JaronK's very well documented and discussed system?

If this is another 'this is my opinion of the tiers' thread then I misunderstood and this seems mostly in line.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 07:12:34 PM »
How is this different from JaronK's very well documented and discussed system?

If this is another 'this is my opinion of the tiers' thread then I misunderstood and this seems mostly in line.
The difference is  that I am including classes as a base then taking into account of where they should be with the different sources available.

Suzerain

• Bi-Curious George
  • is on extended leave
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 07:55:01 PM »
So the OP is incomplete, as it is missing some of the methodology it is based on. Wait until he updates it.