Author Topic: Trickster of legacy  (Read 2728 times)

Hijax

• Donkey Kong
  • Kobolds ate my cookies
Trickster of legacy
« on: August 20, 2009, 08:56:33 AM »
The legacy champion and uncanny trickster(weapons of legacy and complete scoundrel, respectively) both have the ability to advance the class features of other classes. There is a general disagreement if this can advance classes beyond their normal max level, but i believe it can.
normally, this is used to abuse classes like the hellfire warlock, gaining absurd amounts of bonus damage to your eldritch blast.

now, however, im going to abuse the fact that, beyond this nifty feat, they also have abilities of their own.

step 1: qualify for both uncanny trickster and legacy champion. trivial. i recommend rogue or factotum for this, since skills can be useful for this build.
step 2: take a level in uncanny trickster
step 3: take two levels in legacy champion, advancing uncanny trickster, advancing legacy champion, advancing UT, looping until LC 7, where they lack an advancement
step 3: take another level of legacy champion. loop until you know every skill trick in existence. pop the final advancement gained into factotum/rogue/whatever you used to qualify.

my build would look like factotum 10/UT 1/LC 3/Factotum 6
17th level factotum abilties, all free feats(FoI, WOOT), and all skill tricks known.

Nice?

"There's more to apocalypse than running around like a maniac you know"
-B. M. Evilwizardington.
blogging at disasters made in china

Amadi

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Re: Trickster of legacy
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 06:16:29 PM »
Could be better, I had a thread at wizards boards about a year ago about using Illithid Savant + Uncanny Trickster to gain unlimited Illithid Savant progression, which in turn leads to you having all possible abilities in the game, at effective infinite class level.

Not to speak of all creature abilities, and all feats, and all skills at infinite ranks. Basically you become pun-pun, but you must eat a few brains and do it later.

If you are going to abuse some mechanic, at least go all out on it.

Suzerain

• Bi-Curious George
  • is on extended leave
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 06:39:11 PM »
Show, don't tell.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 07:46:42 PM »
Illithid Savant, of course, is plenty broken without Uncanny Trickster =P

Anyhow, it's a nifty idea Hijax, though I think it's obvious that most sane DMs would rule against gaining multiple levels' worth of class abilities in 1 level though.  For a less broken idea, you could use CoL to advance UT to advance Factotum each time, which wouldn't result in any loops, but would be like playing a standard factotum with a ton of bonus skill tricks and a WoL.  Though doing it would give up cunning brilliance, which is too bad.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 11:53:12 AM »
Show, don't tell.

This is true but I hated when my English teacher would write that...
He can't show unless its separately indexed. Wizards is down.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Suzerain

• Bi-Curious George
  • is on extended leave
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 02:11:38 PM »
I know wizards is down. But instead of making condescending comments, he could have given a summary of his trick. Not what it does, but how it works. You can't brag without backing it up. My opinion, YMMV.

Amadi

• Email
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 08:22:41 PM »
Acquire Class ability as 10th level *Legacy Champion. Increase your effective Illithid Savant level by 8. Gain 2 more "Acquire Class Ability" abilities. Acquire the Legacy Champion's ability infinite times over, resulting in infinite progression of Illithid Savant, which results in you gaining everything of every thing whichs brain you've eaten. (The legacy champion must have at least 4 levels in his class.)

I kind of thought that once someone had read those two abilities, the way how it worked would be self-explanatory (Although I claimed it worked with Illithid Savant / Uncanny Trickster, which it does not.), and I just claimed that I figured it out first, which I cannot prove until wizards decides keeping down.

Suzerain

• Bi-Curious George
  • is on extended leave
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 09:09:34 AM »
So, you can eat an Alienist 10's brain to get 10 levels of spell progression?

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 09:20:45 AM »
And indigestion, presumably.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 09:39:30 AM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Amadi

• Email
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 10:59:30 AM »

Or Wizard 20's brain to get 20 levels. Or Wizard 30's brain to get 30 levels.

Hijax

• Donkey Kong
  • Kobolds ate my cookies
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 11:00:33 AM »
nah, for spellcasting, you only get one spell for each spell level the victim can cast.
"There's more to apocalypse than running around like a maniac you know"
-B. M. Evilwizardington.
blogging at disasters made in china

Amadi

• Email
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 05:46:22 PM »
nah, for spellcasting, you only get one spell for each spell level the victim can cast.

But if you are getting the abilities infinite times, you can actually just get infinite spells of each spell level the victim can cast. ;)

Suzerain

• Bi-Curious George
  • is on extended leave
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 08:08:19 PM »
That wasn't the question though. It was whether you could snatch the "+1 existing class" which is worded almost exactly the same in the descriptions of the Legacy Champion and the Alienist (replace 'spells' with 'class features'). So your build is relying on one more "exploit" on extremely shaky grounds concerning the Illithid Savant's abilities, on top of the assumptions the OP makes (which are not up for debate since the OP assumes that works).

If you meant to say "if you've broken the system this far, rip it another one", that's OK, but you implied that with the OP's assumptions it would be obvious to go the Illithid Savant route, which it is not.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 04:33:48 PM »
That wasn't the question though. It was whether you could snatch the "+1 existing class" which is worded almost exactly the same in the descriptions of the Legacy Champion and the Alienist (replace 'spells' with 'class features'). So your build is relying on one more "exploit" on extremely shaky grounds concerning the Illithid Savant's abilities, on top of the assumptions the OP makes (which are not up for debate since the OP assumes that works).

If you meant to say "if you've broken the system this far, rip it another one", that's OK, but you implied that with the OP's assumptions it would be obvious to go the Illithid Savant route, which it is not.
+1

And I'm surprised we haven't had "NAW-AW!" to the OP's assumptions. That almost always happens from people not fully reading...
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r