Author Topic: the true arcane dilliante  (Read 49908 times)

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
the true arcane dilliante
« on: August 14, 2009, 11:11:57 PM »
no, this post has nothing to do with factotums. instead, it abuses the master spellthief feat.

build:
[spoiler]build:   bard1/wiz2/spellthief1/trapsmith1/assasin1/UM3/sublime chord2/UM+5/mindbender1/UM+2
race:   human   alignment: any non-good non-lawful
ACFs:   martial wizard

lvl:    class:          feats:
lvl1   bard1        able learner; melodic casting;
lvl2   wizard1        improved initative;
lvl3   wizard2     extend spell;
lvl4   wizard3      
lvl5   spellthief1   
lvl6   trapsmith1     master spellthief;
lvl7   assasin1   
lvl8   ult magus1                    +bard;
lvl9   ult magus2     PS*(trapsmith);      +wizard and trapsmith;
lvl10   ult magus3                    +wizard and trapsmith;
lvl11   sublime chord1            
lvl12   sublime chord2   persist spell;   
lvl13   ult magus4                    +sublime chord;
lvl14   ult magus5   sculpt spell;      +sublime chord and trapsmith;
lvl15   ult magus6   PS*(sublime chord);   +sublime chord and trapsmith;
lvl16   ult magus7                    +sublime chord;
lvl17   ult magus8                    +sublime chord and assasin;
lvl18   mindbender1**   mindsight**;   +sublime chord;
lvl19   ult magus9     invisible spell;      +sublime chord and assasin;
lvl20   ult magus10            +sublime chord and bard(or any other, really);
*practiced spellcaster: can be dropped for other feats if needed.
**one of the options. others include touchstone+sandshaper, combat casting+abjurant champion, or co-op
spell+guildmage.  hell, ever +1 level of assasin+ability focus would work, giving +3 to the death attack
DC and fourth level assasin spells. an other option is beguiler+PS(beguiler), for +8 to CL. or, even
better, bump it forward, shuffle feats for spring attack, and grab a level of telf shadowlord... screw the
assasin and wiz casting, advance shadowlord!
[/spoiler]
caster levels:
[spoiler]
spells known caster levels:   pre master spellthief CL
bard:              3      6
assasin:           3      7
trapsmith:           5      13
wizard:      5      10
sublime chord:   10      21
spellthief:           0      5

total CL for all spells:   62
+ maxed song of arc power:   82
[/spoiler]

fun tactics:
[spoiler]
casting in light armor (cause we can)
persist cloud of knives (each one has +82 to hit)
abuse fire shuriken   (makes 22 per casting, 28 with song)
abuse explosive runes (cause everyone else does)
wings of flurry(82d6)
maw of chaos (82d6 for eight minutes)
persisted shield (because we can, thats why)
persisted invisible spell obscuring mist (to screw with people who use true seeing)
chained(rod) hour/level buffs, lasting more than three days.
improvisation, gain 186 improv points, up to +41 on any skill check.... hahahahaha[/spoiler]

so, what else can we do with this abuse?  :D
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
Re: the true arcane dilliante
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 11:41:00 PM »
Have you gone through this?

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 11:58:59 PM »
I did it better  :P

they boast CL 45, I get 62 (82 with song of arcane power, which you WILL get max effect on due to improvization)

my trick is to use many different types of spellcasting, which then all get +4, and then add together.  sure, you could boost it higher, but at this point.... it hardly needs it.  in addition, you get bardic knowledge, abrupt jaunt or a familiar, a death attack(do it with a cloud of knives, yuk yuk yuk), mindsight, and a few free persists by blowing 6th level slots.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 12:50:00 AM »
The thing is, Master Spellthief gives you the ability to steal higher level spells, but not store them.  So if you want to actually use the spells you steal, you need 9 levels of Spellthief or 6 levels and a Major Bloodline.

JaronK

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 03:26:24 AM »
who cares about stealing spells? its two actions per spell! it's really only good when abusing your friend's SLAs.  the main point is the stacking CL.

Hijax

• Donkey Kong
  • Kobolds ate my cookies
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 05:31:27 AM »
question: how are you going to put this monstrous Cl to use? its not like there's anything you cant kill with an intensified maw of chaos, and BC/buff spells typically doesn't call for CL.
"There's more to apocalypse than running around like a maniac you know"
-B. M. Evilwizardington.
blogging at disasters made in china

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »
mainly buffing and blasting, although a few BC spells work out really well.  how about evard's black tentacles with +90 to the grapple check? it stops the bloody terrasque for 82 rounds.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 03:48:59 PM »
question: how are you going to put this monstrous Cl to use? its not like there's anything you cant kill with an intensified maw of chaos, and BC/buff spells typically doesn't call for CL.
Gate in something with 164 HD?
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 05:01:43 PM »
Gate in something with 164 HD?
AND actually be able to control it.....  :D

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 07:47:59 PM »
I'm just finishing a version of this monster using Ur-Priest/PrC Pally/SotAO shenanigans, and initial testing is showing a CL of 110 by all remotely sensible interpretations (because all other interpretations lead to infinite loops...which are bad).  Feel like a divine blast, anyone?  You know their buffs will fail from the quickened GDM (reserves of strength endowed, of course).

EDIT : Here's the stub -
[spoiler]Spellthief 1/Duskblade 1/Wizard 1/Sanctified One 1/Bard 1/Ur-Priest 1/PrC Pally of Freedom (CG) 1/Ultimate Magus 10/Sublime Chord 2/Spellwarp Sniper 1[/spoiler]

Progression -
[spoiler]Spellthief 1
Duskblade 1
Wizard 1
Sanctified 1
Bard 1
Ur-Priest 1
Prestige Paladin of Freedom 1
Ultimate Mage 1 - adding to Ur-Priest*
Ultimate Mage 2 - adding to Ur-Priest and Bard
Ultimate Mage 3 - adding to Ur-Priest and Bard
Sublime Chord 1
Sublime Chord 2
Ultimate Mage 4 - adding to SC
Ultimate Mage 5 - adding to Ur/SC
Ultimate Mage 6 - adding to Ur/SC
Ultimate Mage 7 - adding to SC
Ultimate Mage 8 - adding to Ur/SC
Spellwarp Sniper 1 - adding to Bard
Ultimate Mage 9 - adding to Ur/SC
Ultimate Mage 10 - adding to Ur/SC[/spoiler]

CL Breakdown
[spoiler]
Spellthief      4
Duskblade   5
Wizard      5
Bard      8
Ur-Priest      14+1/2 other
Sublime Chord   10+Ur-Priest

Spellthief      1+4      =   5
Duskblade   1+4      =   5
Wizard       1+4      =   5
Bard      1+4      =   5
Ur-Priest      14+10+14   =   38
Sublime Chord   14+38      =   52
                      -------
               110 CL
[/spoiler]

That's what sense I can make of it.  *Uses the Dragonblood Pool to get in, self-fulfilling once he's got Sword of the Arcane Order.  After being marooned away from his beloved Kord, he siphons power from the cosmos, growing even stronger than ever before.  By denying the gods of FR, he overcomes their paltry pantheons, mastering magicks that make even the most learned Dweomerkeeper weary.  For the record...imagine a chained spell with that CL.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 07:59:24 PM by KellKheraptis »
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 08:06:04 PM »
I'm just finishing a version of this monster using Ur-Priest/PrC Pally/SotAO shenanigans, and initial testing is showing a CL of 110 by all remotely sensible interpretations (because all other interpretations lead to infinite loops...which are bad).  Feel like a divine blast, anyone?  You know their buffs will fail from the quickened GDM (reserves of strength endowed, of course).

That's what sense I can make of it.  *Uses the Dragonblood Pool to get in, self-fulfilling once he's got Sword of the Arcane Order.  After being marooned away from his beloved Kord, he siphons power from the cosmos, growing even stronger than ever before.  By denying the gods of FR, he overcomes their paltry pantheons, mastering magicks that make even the most learned Dweomerkeeper weary.  For the record...imagine a chained spell with that CL.

Use blasphemy if you really want to make your DM hate you and you really need to kill everyone who opposes you in a 60 foot radius.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 08:08:24 PM »
I'm just finishing a version of this monster using Ur-Priest/PrC Pally/SotAO shenanigans, and initial testing is showing a CL of 110 by all remotely sensible interpretations (because all other interpretations lead to infinite loops...which are bad).  Feel like a divine blast, anyone?  You know their buffs will fail from the quickened GDM (reserves of strength endowed, of course).

That's what sense I can make of it.  *Uses the Dragonblood Pool to get in, self-fulfilling once he's got Sword of the Arcane Order.  After being marooned away from his beloved Kord, he siphons power from the cosmos, growing even stronger than ever before.  By denying the gods of FR, he overcomes their paltry pantheons, mastering magicks that make even the most learned Dweomerkeeper weary.  For the record...imagine a chained spell with that CL.

Use blasphemy if you really want to make your DM hate you and you really need to kill everyone who opposes you in a 60 foot radius.

That was a silent tactic, given access to the Cleric list, but I'm fully aware of the reaming capability should I be so inclined :P  Main thing is making sure the math is right on the CL.  I know it's going to be retardedly high, and if it is indeed 110, that might be a new non-infinite record.
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 08:12:17 PM »
I've tried this with Wizard 3/Spelltheif 1/Knight of the Weave 1/Ultimate Magus 10/Exalted Arcanist 5 or something like that. Wasn't super optimized but I had a CL in the 40s pre-items, and Holy Word on my spell list.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 08:13:27 PM »
That was a silent tactic, given access to the Cleric list, but I'm fully aware of the reaming capability should I be so inclined :P  Main thing is making sure the math is right on the CL.  I know it's going to be retardedly high, and if it is indeed 110, that might be a new non-infinite record.

I understand this isn't a simple question to answer, but if you don't mind, could you show the numbers for CL 110?

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 08:15:30 PM »
That was a silent tactic, given access to the Cleric list, but I'm fully aware of the reaming capability should I be so inclined :P  Main thing is making sure the math is right on the CL.  I know it's going to be retardedly high, and if it is indeed 110, that might be a new non-infinite record.

I understand this isn't a simple question to answer, but if you don't mind, could you show the numbers for CL 110?

Check those spoilers.  The second third one I believe has the math leading up to 110.
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 08:21:10 PM »
In the third spoiler... why are you adding all those CLs together? And how is Ultimate Magus progressing Ur-Priest?

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 08:24:20 PM »
In the third spoiler... why are you adding all those CLs together? And how is Ultimate Magus progressing Ur-Priest?

Also noted in the build.  Dragonblood pool allows us to be considered an arcane caster (Doc Rock pioneered this trick on Algernon), and Master Spellthief adds all arcane CL's together.  As I said, it should be infinite by any other reading, as SC does roughly the same thing, and so does Ur-Priest, only at half for non-Ur levels.  Hopefully Anklebite will come on since he's far more elegant in explaining the MS trick, but the rest of it is easy enough to lay out (if rather cheesy...).
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2009, 08:31:21 PM »
Also noted in the build.  Dragonblood pool allows us to be considered an arcane caster (Doc Rock pioneered this trick on Algernon), and Master Spellthief adds all arcane CL's together.  As I said, it should be infinite by any other reading, as SC does roughly the same thing, and so does Ur-Priest, only at half for non-Ur levels.  Hopefully Anklebite will come on since he's far more elegant in explaining the MS trick, but the rest of it is easy enough to lay out (if rather cheesy...).

Oh I thought you were just using Dragonblood to qualify, that makes sense then. And know I see how you're adding them, I misunderstood the feat, it's even better then I thought.

EDIT: And note that much how Magus's +4 CL is applied to each, items/feats should apply the same way. So you could easily get 120 after those.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2009, 08:36:13 PM »
Also noted in the build.  Dragonblood pool allows us to be considered an arcane caster (Doc Rock pioneered this trick on Algernon), and Master Spellthief adds all arcane CL's together.  As I said, it should be infinite by any other reading, as SC does roughly the same thing, and so does Ur-Priest, only at half for non-Ur levels.  Hopefully Anklebite will come on since he's far more elegant in explaining the MS trick, but the rest of it is easy enough to lay out (if rather cheesy...).

Oh I thought you were just using Dragonblood to qualify, that makes sense then. And know I see how you're adding them, I misunderstood the feat, it's even better then I thought.

I only just this morning thought to add the blaster concept (Ur-Priest + Hellfire Warlock + Eldritch Disciple and Theurge) to Master Spellthief.  I knew anklebite had a really wicked one on here, and knowing I could get an Ur-Priest into UM and make it all mesh with the adaptations (including even Holy Fire on there), wanted to see how far I could take it.  The Ref on that thing will probably suck pre-buffing, but post buffing it will be retardedly high.  The Cleric buffs really go a long way towards adding versatility IMO, given that now he's also a fully functional gish and tank even.  When I finish it, I'll post up the feats.  There was another one from Dragonlance that converted casting to Cha IIRC, similar to Academic Priest, though failing that being only Cha and Int MAD isn't a bad thing...most clerics are Int/Cha/Con MAD anyhow, so no big change.  That and he'd have even nicer skill points.

By the way...with Song of Arcane Power active, his CL goes up to 146.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 08:49:48 PM by KellKheraptis »
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2009, 08:52:55 PM »
EDIT: And note that much how Magus's +4 CL is applied to each, items/feats should apply the same way. So you could easily get 120 after those.

Yeah...considering each +1 becomes like...+5.5 or so.  It's like a consumptive field, only doesn't use spell slots :P  I'd thought about throwing in Tainted Scholar, but with Echoing Spell in there somewhere he'd never run out of slots anyhow (and it's not like many things will be surviving his DD anyhow, especially if he leads off with a Quickened GDM from Battle Blessing and eats 1d6 to uncap it from Reserves of Strength).  And of course there's always the GDM ~> Blasphemy/Dictum/Word of Chaos/Holy Word option.
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!