Author Topic: Potion Throwing Rogues: It's a Trap!  (Read 28740 times)

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
Potion Throwing Rogues: It's a Trap!
« on: August 08, 2009, 05:54:42 PM »
This is something that's come up a lot of times in debates on the forums, and I wanted to address it: potion throwing Rogues are not realistic.  For those who don't know, a potion throwing Rogue is a Rogue who specializes in using Acid Flasks and Alchemist's Fire flasks at enemies (both found in the PHB).  And in a lot of cases, I've seen people bringing up potion throwing Rogues as the super powered example of how absolutely jaw droppingly powerful Rogues can be in combat.  Now, I'd love to hear from someone who's actually played one of these in a real game, because as far as I can tell everyone who's suggested them has never actually played one.  On paper they're a good idea, but in practice... not so much.  Let's go over why, starting with the pros:

Pros: 
*All your attacks are touch attacks, which is obviously a good thing, especially at higher levels (not so much at low levels where the difference between standard and touch AC is two points, but when you're fighting a dragon, it REALLY matters).
*You bypass DR automatically.  Not too shabby.
*Ranged attacks mean you don't have to get your squishy d6 HD light armored butt quite so close to the arc of discipline created by the enemy's sword/claw/jaw/tentacle.
*You don't need a feat to use Dex to hit with these things, and as a Rogue being able to dump strength is awfully nice.
*Dual wielding is perfectly viable.

Cons... and here's where it gets ugly.
*First of all, cost is a factor.  Your ammo costs 20gp per shot for fire damage, 10 gp for acid damage.  At low levels, this is a bank breaker.  Obviously at even lower mid levels it's fine.  But this just isn't viable at level 1.  Consider that when throwing Acid flasks (which you should be doing any time someone's not immune to that, as they're cheaper than Alchemists' Fire) with TWF, you're going through 20gp a round.  Now consider that a Rogue on average starts with 125gp, total.  That's one sixth of your wealth by level destroyed every round.  There's a reason Sunder based Fighters aren't a good plan, and that same reason applies to lower level potion throwers.  Even a level 2 Rogue with a WBL of 900gp who averages 4 rounds of combat in a fight (which I think is reasonable at this level) is losing about 1/10th his WBL with each fight.  If you actually follow the recommended 13 encounters per level (even assuming some of those aren't combat encounters), you can't even afford to do that, even if you didn't buy armor or tools.  And if you were optimizing a bit and had flaws so you could get Point Blank Shot and Rapid Shot at this level?  You're screwed even faster.

*Second, carrying is a problem.  Any flask you plan to throw in this combat can't be in extradimensional space (since you couldn't draw it fast enough) so you're going to need to have a bunch of explosives all over you all the time.  This is a bad thing when you're the trap detector... fall into a pit and the DM might just notice all those flammable things in fragile flasks that you're wearing.  Don't even get me started on what happens when you get hit by a fireball.  This could seriously suck.  And with a weight of 1lb each, your Rogue could have a lot of trouble carrying these things... remember that a Halfling Rogue with an Str of 10 (you wanted Int, Dex, and Con high, right?) takes penalties to skills that REALLY matter to him if he tries to carry more than 25 lbs of stuff on him at once.  10 pounds of that for your Masterwork Studded Armor means a low level Rogue has just 15lbs left for his weapons and all of his gear in his backpack, so weight is going to be a crippling issue.  Even if you've got a donkey or something carrying your extra gear, you'll be hard pressed to have your armor, your scouting gear, and a decent supply of potions all at once.  Normal Rogues using Kukris or Rapiers just don't have this issue nearly as badly.  Even at higher levels when you've got your handy Haversack (which clocks in at 5lbs on its own) this is a problem... 6.25lbs for your Mithral Chain Shirt, 5lbs for your Haversack, plus the weight of any other magic gear means you won't have room for very many potions that are out and ready to use in a given fight.

*Third, there's the supply issue.  Where are you buying all these potions?  If you've got a Wizard who can teleport you to a nice metropolis (or even a large city) and then bring you back that's fine, but I always worry about any build that includes the line "as long as a Wizard will spend high level spell slots to make me stronger, I'll kick ass!"  After all, I can make some incredibly potent Commoners if I can just get a Wizard to Haunt Shift me into a nearly invincible body... but that doesn't mean Commoners are a strong class.  But if you're strolling through a dungeon like WLD or off in the boonies somewhere, you may not have a place to go shopping, certainly not for the bulk amounts of Acid and whatnot that you need.  Is there a flask factory next to every town?  Remember, a TWF Rogue fires a LOT of these things.  By 9th level with Rapid Shot, TWF and GTWF you're launching 5 of these a round, with an average of about (5 shots per round, 4 rounds per combat, 13 encounters per level) 260 of these things per level.  That's quite a bit, and that's assuming you haven't figured out a way to fire more shots.

*Fourth, immunity is now an even bigger problem for you.  Rogues already have to deal with immunity to sneak attack from Undead, Constructs, Plants, Oozes, Elementals (they're not named in the description, but they rarely have any descernable anatomy), things immune to critical hits, Incorporeal creatures, and so on.  Now we've just added Demons to the list at lower levels (they all come with Fire and Acid resistance 10) and Fire and Acid Immunes become a bigger pain (if you fight a bunch of them in a row, you could easily run out of one kind of potion or the other).  Ignoring DR is all fine and well, but Immunity to melee Damage is very rare, while immunity to Fire is pretty darn common.  Immunity to Acid is less so, but it happens.  And let's face it, by the time touch attacks actually matter, Fire and Acid Immunity are getting pretty darn common.  Plus, as an extra bonus the best way for Rogues to deal with undead sneak attack immunity was Truedeath Crystals, but you can't use those with potions.  Sure, you could have a backup +3 Shortbow with a Truedeath Crystal on it just in case, but when you need a 28kgp weapon as a backup weapon just to be able to deal with undead (and it's no help vs the other immunes) I start to worry.  And no, Wands of Gravestrike probably won't help... I've ranted about those a few times, but the fact is it's VERY rare for those to actually be a viable option.  Penetrating Strike helps, but halving your damage sucks.

*Fifth, you can't flank with throwing weapons.  There goes the easiest way to use Sneak Attack, and we start to wonder why you're not playing a CA Ninja anyway (whose invisibility powers make thrown weapons work a bit better).  Now you can land sneak attacks only if the enemy has Dex denied to AC, which means in the first round of combat if you can win initiative, or if they can't see you.  Sure, you can ask the Wizard for Greater Invisibility, but then we're back to the old "I kick ass if a Wizard helps me do so" issue.  And what's the usual solution we hear for this?  Ring of Blinking!  Yeah, I always love striker builds that automatically miss 20% of their shots.  That fills me with confidence, doesn't it do the same for you?  So now we've made it much harder to actually trigger our sneak attacks, and that's a big problem for a class that only does damage with sneak attacks.

*Sixth, that splash damage hits anyone fighting your target.  This is only a minor annoyance at all but the lowest levels, but it's still an annoyance nonetheless... and if a Frenzied Berserker is in your party, this could be a very bad thing indeed.  Also, some people just don't like having their character splashed with Acid all the time.  It's a thing some people have.

*Seventh, are you sure you can even sneak attack with these?  Sneak Attacking require precisely hitting vitals.  Now, that's fine with a rapier, or even a big axe... I personally love the idea of a Rogue with a Fullblade sneakily hitting people in the neck.  But you're lobbing AoE weapons here.  This one is up to your DM, but a lot of DMs will balk at the idea of claiming you totally hit him with a splash of acid in the kidney.

*Eighth, with a 10' Range Increment you're awfully close.  Even assuming you take Far Shot (which I'd highly recommend!) you still take penalties for being more than 20' away, so you're still within strike range of bigger enemies.  Of course, this is always an issue for Rogues who can't go more than 30' away, but it's worth considering.

*Ninth, it's awfully feat intensive.  Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Far Shot, Precise Shot, TWF, ITWF, GTWF... without flaws on a Halfling (who are the best race for this) that's every feat you have.  No Dark Stalker for you, unless you spend some of the Rogue special abilities on it, and that seems like a waste to me.  If you're playing below level 15 or so, you'll have a tough time getting all the feats you need.

All that for Touch Attacks?  Really?  I don't see it as a useful idea.  I think I'd rather just buy a Rapier of Blurstriking and get a similar benefit a LOT easier.

So seriously, I'm not saying Rogues are the worst class ever or something, only that when we discuss how strong a Rogue can be, we should be talking about how a Rogue with Darkstalker can get nearly anywhere or how effective Crippling Strike can be, not potion throwing Rogues.  Potion Throwing Rogues are like Grappling Fighters and Sunder Fighters and defensive oriented Sword and Board Fighters... they're a fun image, but they're not really viable once you start considering actual play.  If you want to be a potion thrower, play a Factotum with Master of Poisons and use Minor Creation to get nearly endless supplies of Black Lotus Poison (and maybe cast Mending or Fabricate to fix up the broken already used vials) and just lob those around.  You'll still need something for poison immunes, but that's far more viable, especially since you only needed to spend one feat and enough money for a single hit of poison to get things started.

But I'm still curious to know if anyone has ever actually tried playing one of these guys.

JaronK

Aliment

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Illithid Zombies
Re: Potion Throwing Rogues: It's a Trap!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 08:18:17 PM »
On number two I'd like the spell shatter added.

But yeah the whole "Alchemist Fire Rogue" never made sense to me.  The set in stone damage along with residual (which definetly doesn't get SA) and of course the touch attack didn't seem like a big enough seller for such costly ammunition.
True Sign of Player Paranoia:
Player:"I look out of the keep"
DM:"There are no visible armies"
Player:"Aw crap theres an Invisible army!"

Chaos josh

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 08:44:38 PM »
Additional minor pro: You not only ignore DR, but acid flasks also ignore hardness. Though I can't think of anything that has hardness that's not already immune to precision damage.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 08:44:49 PM »
*Second, carrying is a problem.  Any flask you plan to throw in this combat can't be in extradimensional space (since you couldn't draw it fast enough) so you're going to need to have a bunch of explosives all over you all the time.  This is a bad thing when you're the trap detector... fall into a pit and the DM might just notice all those flammable things in fragile flasks that you're wearing.  Don't even get me started on what happens when you get hit by a fireball.  This could seriously suck.  And with a weight of 1lb each, your Rogue could have a lot of trouble carrying these things... remember that a Halfling Rogue with an Str of 10 (you wanted Int, Dex, and Con high, right?) takes penalties to skills that REALLY matter to him if he tries to carry more than 25 lbs of stuff on him at once.  10 pounds of that for your Masterwork Studded Armor means a low level Rogue has just 15lbs left for his weapons and all of his gear in his backpack, so weight is going to be a crippling issue.  Even if you've got a donkey or something carrying your extra gear, you'll be hard pressed to have your armor, your scouting gear, and a decent supply of potions all at once.  Normal Rogues using Kukris or Rapiers just don't have this issue nearly as badly.  Even at higher levels when you've got your handy Haversack (which clocks in at 5lbs on its own) this is a problem... 6.25lbs for your Mithral Chain Shirt, 5lbs for your Haversack, plus the weight of any other magic gear means you won't have room for very many potions that are out and ready to use in a given fight.
Stuff a bag of holding with flasks of alchemist's fire, then place it upside-down over a small frame large enough to hold a single flask. Now you always have one at hand. For fun, build it into a crossbow along with a wand of launch item, and say it's something like a grenade launcher attachment. :p
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 08:53:24 PM »

*Ninth, it's awfully feat intensive.  Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Far Shot, Precise Shot, TWF, ITWF, GTWF... without flaws on a Halfling (who are the best race for this) that's every feat you have.  No Dark Stalker for you, unless you spend some of the Rogue special abilities on it, and that seems like a waste to me.  If you're playing below level 15 or so, you'll have a tough time getting all the feats you need.

Don't forget about quick draw.

You pretty much have to dip into fighter and/or psi warrior to make it semi-viable.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 09:24:13 PM »
It could be made slightly more viable with a shaper psion to create plant based acids via minor creation. But that is still something requiring another party member to expend resources on your behalf. But it is less resources then teleport and the flasks would be free.  Still the other cons are still in effect.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 09:37:11 PM »
I've actually played this in a gestal game Rogue and Alchemist.

The thing is you can use a sling to toss the vials, making the build more viable
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Optimator

• Bi-Curious George
  • Made Man
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 09:57:50 PM »
How would a sling help?  You still need to be 30 feet away to get the sneak attack damage.  Also, shouldn't a Handy Haversack and Quickdraw completely negate the carrying problem?  Seems like a no-brainer to me. 

Braithwaite

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 09:59:34 PM »
Does having built one for a friend and then played in a game where said rogue was used count?

It worked GREAT. He ran it for Cheesgrinder, a game in a local con where you build the strongest character possible at allowed ECL and run it through heavily optimized ECL +2 encounters without rest until you die. As a 13 ECL build I think it was Rogue 3, Swashbuckler 4, Assassin 1, Spellthief 1 Marrulurk (+8d6 sneak attack). He had 2 potion belts, filled with flasks, and a hewards haversack filled with loaded potion belts. A wand of Greater Invisibility, something for flight, and the MIC gloves that generate +1 force javelins (for things with fire and acid DR, or anything with low enough flat footed ac that he could hit it) were most of the rest of his gear. He could reliably do 32-40 d6 damage per round, practically indefinately. I think he also had a buffing wand of some kind that he used when there was no sneak attack, probably haste.

Yes, he was weak v. undead and constructs. I don't think we hit any oozes or elementals. But the fights where he had to be carried by his team were more than outweighed by the fights that he utterly dominated. This was a game where monsters did sometimes have stupidly high AC + SR, so casters and fighter types also had fights where their cheese was ineffective.

Oh, and if he got into combat, he would just quick draw 2 daggers and TWF with them. So if throwing didn't work, he still poured on the damage.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 10:06:58 PM by Braithwaite »

Nuntius Mortis

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 10:11:49 PM »
As a 13 ECL build I think it was Rogue 3, Swashbuckler 4, Assassin 1, Spellthief 1 Marrulurk (+8d6 sneak attack).

He was a Marrulurk, however. Believe me, being a Marrulurk reduces your Attribute Dependency greatly and with that +6 to Dex I bet that he had a great attack bonus ;)
Never underestimate a halfling!

Sepehr Anvari - Chaos Monk

Velnius Agonista - Halfling Thrower (needs repair)

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 11:33:19 PM »

Don't forget about quick draw.

You pretty much have to dip into fighter and/or psi warrior to make it semi-viable.
I was going to mention Quick Draw too, and with a prereq of BAB +1, you're waiting until 3rd level to pull off a TWF build without multiclassing.  And of course, multiclassing slows down your SA progression.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 11:57:05 PM »

The thing is you can use a sling to toss the vials, making the build more viable

How does a weapon that requires a move action to load more viable?
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 12:19:05 AM »

The only way I can see this being better is with Aptitude abuse.

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 12:27:43 AM »
Potion throwing is a good tactic to use against certain foes (namely those with high ACs I would normally have trouble hitting, but crap touch ACs, such as dragons, even moreso if you are hurling alchemist fires at a white dragon), but I wouldn't say that it is that great a tactic that I would consistently use it against every foe I encounter. As mentioned earlier, they are subject to a fair number of restrictions, and as such would be fairly suboptimal against certain foes.

This also brings me to the issue of immunity, since I assume the player in question has some understanding of the rules, and knows well enough not to hurl fire flasks at devils (naturally immune to fire) or acid at demons (naturally immune to acid). I expect he should have something in his repertoire to cater to various resistances/immunities.

Splash damage shouldn't be that great an issue. It is just 1 damage per shot (SA does not apply), so your resistances should more than take care of it.

Qualifying for SA shouldn't even be an issue. By the rules, so long as you can meet the requirements (denying the foes their dex to AC), SA damage would apply. The DM ruling otherwise is really that individual group's own problem.

But all in all, I would say that it remains useful enough that I would lug around a few to use in a pinch, were I playing a rogue.  :)
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2009, 02:00:12 AM »

The only way I can see this being better is with Aptitude abuse.

You do realize that with only 1 attack per round  (regardless of BAB, TWF, Quickdraw, and so on) that slings really aren't very good at this, right?
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2009, 02:04:39 AM »
Additional minor pro: You not only ignore DR, but acid flasks also ignore hardness. Though I can't think of anything that has hardness that's not already immune to precision damage.

Not true at all, actually.  Generally speaking, energy damage is halved against objects, but that's not the case for Acid and Sonic.  But they don't ignore hardness, they just ignore the half damage penalty.

@Havok:  As for using poisons, sure, that works, but then we don't care about the fact that you're a Rogue... all we care about is that you can hit with the poisons.  After all, sneak attacking with Black Lotus Poison doesn't actually do anything.

@Prime:  Sounds too fiat-ish a solution to me.  After all, how do we even know that turning a bag of holding upside down makes stuff fall out?  It's extradimensional after all... just because the bag turns upside down doesn't mean the stuff inside is upside down.  It's not even in this dimension, you know?

@Ninja:  Good point on Quickdraw, I'd forgotten the things don't actually count as ammunition.  Ouch.  Then again, the DM may rule it does... I dunno.

@Vinom:  There's no actual rule about being able to use a Sling with the potions... and even if there was, all that would do was mean you could fire from 20-30 feet without the -2 penalty.  Doesn't do all that much, though it would help a little.

@Optimator:  Haversacks specifically take a move action to draw anything, hence the problem.

@Braith:  I have to wonder if his race was doing more than the potions you know?  I mean, wouldn't he have been just as good going melee with it?  Also, multiclass penalties there.  But I'm surprised to hear someone actually tried this!

@Runestar:  Don't get me wrong, I don't think the entire concept is worthless.  It's nice to be able to get touch attacks once in a while when a dragon shows up.  I was writing this about specialists in the tactic, ones that planned on using it as a primary attack form.  And while I don't expect anyone to be stupid enough to throw Acid flasks at something that's Acid immune but vulnerable to Fire, I do think that dealing with a series of enemies immune to one type of damage could result in you running out of one weapon type or another.

Also, I just realized something... nothing in the rules says what kind of weapons they are.  They might be light weapons, but they're heavy enough for a throwing weapon that they might not be, which would be horrific.  Another ask your DM issue.

JaronK

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2009, 02:05:37 AM »
You do realize that with only 1 attack per round  (regardless of BAB, TWF, Quickdraw, and so on) that slings really aren't very good at this, right?

I assume that the aptitude abuse comment was assuming you used an Aptitude Sling to get the ability to use Hand Crossbow Mastery with the sling, thus allowing you to load the sling as a free action.  Clever really, but since the sling adds so little it's not actually terribly helpful.

JaronK

Nuntius Mortis

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2009, 02:39:28 AM »
Also, multiclass penalties there.  But I'm surprised to hear someone actually tried this!

Not really. Most parties do not use multiclass penalties anyways. But even those who do ignore other things like HD for example (my group does that). In said case ignoring those 3 HD would be quite nice and he still could easily go Rogue 1/Scout 1/Spell-Thief 1/Swashbuckler 2/Assasin (or Avenger if he has good alignment) 7 (if using fractional BAB) or Rogue 3/Spell-Thief 2/Assasin 7 (if not using fractional BAB).

@Braith:  I have to wonder if his race was doing more than the potions you know?  I mean, wouldn't he have been just as good going melee with it?

That's for sure.

+2 Str, +6 Dex, +4, +6 Wis, +4 Cha, +2 NA, +2d6 SA plus some bonuses to Listen (+4), Hide (+4), Move Silently (+4) and Small size. They're perfect rogues and even monks (with the high Wis bonus they can be better monks than the Githzerai if HD are ignored). Not good enough for going completely melee but it does make your rogue's Attribute Dependency far easier to cope with.

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2009, 02:52:25 AM »
If I'm reading/adding properly, the class you're describing has LA of +4.
At that point you can just use Pixie for always-invisible/flying and crazy dex.
Currently playing:
Forte Lulz, Chaotic EVIL Bard bent on world domination;
Canere Potentia, to sing of power.
Aralaxax, Warforged Osteomancer, Machines are my people, I wield bones as other wield swords.
Randall Gray, she's not sexually confused, honest!
Zion "I can make followers, but why bother when people line up for me?"
Currently DMing: Real Men Use Their Hands, World's Largest Dungeon
"If you can pretend to be a half-orc barbarian or a dwarf wizard then you can pretend to be an alpha male."-Ninjarabbit
"The hotel shop only had two decent books, and I'd written both of them."-Douglas Adams
"It's funny how the Earth never opens up and swallows you when you want it to." Xander Harris, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Nuntius Mortis

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2009, 03:07:32 AM »
If I'm reading/adding properly, the class you're describing has LA of +4.
At that point you can just use Pixie for always-invisible/flying and crazy dex.

If the party uses HD, then yes, it is ECL 4. If it ignores them, it's LA +1. If it ignores HD though you can just select a Cuprilach Rilmani at LA +5 and go to town.

Still, if the party uses HD there are reasons that one could take a Marrulurk over a Pixie. Pixies are great scouts and spell-casters but as a Pixie you'd never want to get caught in melee (the invisibility and the fly speed certainly help you not too). Marrulurks do not have such a great problem with getting caught in melee due to the +2 NA, +2 Str, +4 Con, Small size and +2d6 SA. It's just that Marrulurks have no cons at all.