Author Topic: A new tier system  (Read 15933 times)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: A new tier system
« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2009, 03:08:21 PM »
So yeah...
The rogue is going to spend one of his very few feats on being able to create potions?

Or being a gnome?!?

Seriously, if that is the only way the Rogue can create his own potions its not even worth considering...

And also, lets say the Rogue can create a couple of potions per day, how long amount of downtime would the rogue actually need to create the potions he spends on one day? If that is long, thats another problem with that build in addition to all the other things...
If I could, with a single feat, increase my damage output that much, I'd definitely consider taking it.

The Mad Linguist: The SLAs don't count?
I believe SLAs don't qualify as you being a spellcaster.  

Anyway, I think that everything here and here should be on the available sources list by default (with the exception of variant rules), just because everyone can access them.  Thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 03:10:38 PM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2009, 03:23:18 PM »
Does anyone have high objections for the two book system?

I decided to use it after any thread about fighters or wizards where the builds went into a dozen splatbooks,  and an old dm talked about a campaign where he had each of  us choose a book.

There was also the issue of highly optimized characters versus lowly optimized ones. Keeping people to the same amount of sources keeps this on a more even field.

And then there is the assumptions of what is and isn't allowed as books, I wanted this system to be the answer to that.
I find that the base classes shuold probbably have one more book than everything else.
The way it stands now, each class gets the srd(phb), the book that the class appears in , plus 2 books relavant to the class (optimization~wise) well if your class appears in the Srd you're missing one book i'd think.
I mean its minor but I think you'll get what I'm saying.
A barbarian gets 3 books (Srd, Complete XX, Races of ??) the Crusader gets 4. (Srd, Complete XX, races of ?? + Tob). Which honestly I'm not sure where that matters exactly but I'm just saying. Though it is cool that you get to use the books your party uses.

[quote = SorO_Lost] generally knowing his shit.  [/quote] Bravo. People do express a large amount of personal bias and its hard not to I'd imagine. Reiterating what was said earlier, we each are better with certain classes because we're in that class "for the love" so to speak, that doesn't mean an individual class is much stronger objectively.

I'd also been looking at the Factotums damage a bit since this came up. I looked at level 5 (which I find a good bench mark, as no-ones prc'd yet, and yet your character is doing some of his schitck by then)
I find that You can consitently Get + 5d6 iujutsu focus, ... Mw: Sheathe +2 150gp? , Focus wpn ability from Oa +4 insight bonus 640gp, 8 ranks, = +14 on the check.
Thats kinda without trying, and without charisma. + 1d6 on the roll, roll a 10 on a d20 and its 24 so 3d6. spend an inpiration point adding your factotum level. 4d6 oh okay so its 4d6, but only cause I'm not going to insult you and say "take skill focus" but there's an item based way to get a few more points too. Whose the resident skill increasing master?
  In anycase on top of that you're getting some damage from Knowledge devotion, and what amazes me is....
cunning strike... which doesn't seem to take and action or have a descriptor so our factotum can jolly well spend more points right there to get sneak attack + X (x being his remaining inspiration points) and kill shit. all in all somewhere around 5-7d6 + weapon damage per encounter. Without using gltterdust or (whatever spells screw dexterity bonuses) which he can totally do later that day.... twice.
All while being better at the minigames... (I like that term for them by the way).
All thats without resorting to shennigans. (like taping acidflasks together or whatever...)

\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: August 07, 2009, 08:24:03 PM »
It's all one-attack damage unless you do the quickrazor thing or (mw) katana juggling. How does it scale?

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #83 on: August 07, 2009, 08:49:17 PM »
I like the core+book its in+two-book idea personally, at least more than JaronK's nebulous "It has whatever books I think it has" style, where the Healer doesn't have the BoED for consecrated spells, but the factotum has Oriental Adventures, Races of Stone, and web enhancements.

You do realize I assume that Races of Stone and Oriental Adventures are pretty unlikely and are thus not factored hugely into the Factotum, for the same reason BoED isn't hugely factored in for the healer?  It's just one more thing in each class.  Factotums can do tons without iajuitsu focus, but if it's available they do quite well with it too so it's possible for them to use it.  I assure you, if Iajuitsu Focus was the only way for Factotums to function, they'd be MUCH lower.  But all you need is Core + Dungeonscape + Drow of the Underdark for poison based Factotums to be insanely good... or really just core + dungeonscape for all kinds of other tricks.  Heck, one of the Factotums I've seen absolutely rock in combat was a non combat Factotum played by someone who only had PHB, Dungeonscape, and the Monster Manuals.  No optimization for combat, but if he needed to he put those spells to darn good use... Healers, meanwhile, are downright screwed without BoED.

Don't get me wrong, I love using Iajuitsu Focus and if I want to play a better version of Rogue I want to play an Iajuitsu Factotum.  But that's not at all the only way to do it.  Man, I really need to get around to writing that handbook.

Just saying, I doubt there are many campaigns that actually have the rule "Core + Book + 2."  Having a system that only applies to that skews things a lot.  After all, Clerics need two books for DMM:Persist right there (Complete Divine for DMM and a different book for Persistant Spell), which means we're assuming DMM Clerics don't have spell compendium, PHBII, or a variety of other books.  Does that really make much sense?  These systems mean less and less the more assumptions you put into them.  If it turns into "if you disallow anything I consider broken, use exactly this many books, and use these house rules, then my system is perfect for you, but if you don't, it's worthless."

JaronK

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #84 on: August 07, 2009, 09:03:53 PM »
It's all one-attack damage unless you do the quickrazor thing or (mw) katana juggling. How does it scale?

At what I'd call "moderate optimization" Iajuitsu Focus damage will be just slightly higher than sneak attack at the lowest levels, roughly even to sneak attack at medium levels, and 1d6 lower at level 19+.  So, pretty darn comperable.  It's VERY easy to trigger in the first round (since Factotums have pumped up initiative) and once per day Grease makes it easy.  Quickrazors are of course pretty much expected if you want to use Iajuitsu Focus (so pray they're available) otherwise you'll be drawing and dropping daggers, which to me is extremely sketchy.  So really, Iajuitsu Factotums pretty much need access to Quickrazors if they want to do consistant damage output that way (of course, they've still got the ability to do Int to damage or sneak attack or buff themselves or whatever else, so there are other options).

At higher levels of optimization of course Iajuitsu Focus can be pumped up MUCH easier than sneak attack since it's a skill, though it still maxes at 9d6 without Iajuitsu Master.  With Iajuitsu Master, suddenly it's 9d6+9*Cha mod, which is just plain crazy.

JaronK

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: August 08, 2009, 03:13:48 AM »
I like the core+book its in+two-book idea personally, at least more than JaronK's nebulous "It has whatever books I think it has" style, where the Healer doesn't have the BoED for consecrated spells, but the factotum has Oriental Adventures, Races of Stone, and web enhancements.

You do realize I assume that Races of Stone and Oriental Adventures are pretty unlikely and are thus not factored hugely into the Factotum, for the same reason BoED isn't hugely factored in for the healer?  It's just one more thing in each class.  Factotums can do tons without iajuitsu focus, but if it's available they do quite well with it too so it's possible for them to use it.  I assure you, if Iajuitsu Focus was the only way for Factotums to function, they'd be MUCH lower.  But all you need is Core + Dungeonscape + Drow of the Underdark for poison based Factotums to be insanely good... or really just core + dungeonscape for all kinds of other tricks.  Heck, one of the Factotums I've seen absolutely rock in combat was a non combat Factotum played by someone who only had PHB, Dungeonscape, and the Monster Manuals.  No optimization for combat, but if he needed to he put those spells to darn good use... Healers, meanwhile, are downright screwed without BoED.

The problem is that when Exalted Deeds and VD are available then the healer is going to be having a much different level of effect than if its not. To the point where its at least a tier 4, maybe 3 in effect. Its an on/off switch. It either has it or it doesn't.
Don't get me wrong, I love using Iajuitsu Focus and if I want to play a better version of Rogue I want to play an Iajuitsu Factotum.  But that's not at all the only way to do it.  Man, I really need to get around to writing that handbook.

Just saying, I doubt there are many campaigns that actually have the rule "Core + Book + 2." 

Its largely an arbitrary number and its partly to make an even playing field on what sources get allowed.
Also its SRD+ Book + 2.
Having a system that only applies to that skews things a lot.  After all, Clerics need two books for DMM:Persist right there (Complete Divine for DMM and a different book for Persistant Spell), which
Persistent spell is in the srd, two a cleric that is just core is still tier 1.

means we're assuming DMM Clerics don't have spell compendium, PHBII, or a variety of other books.  Does that really make much sense? 
Does assuming Healers don't have access to BoVD, BoED or a variety of other books really make much sense?

These systems mean less and less the more assumptions you put into them.  If it turns into "if you disallow anything I consider broken, use exactly this many books, and use these house rules, then my system is perfect for you, but if you don't, it's worthless."
Pretty much. The book limitation doesn't really matter, as long as classes don't get screwed on sources available. But I like it for the arbitrary line. Which works unless you have non-arbitrary reasons on what should or shouldn't be allowed.

JaronK
Lans
Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #86 on: August 08, 2009, 03:49:23 AM »
The problem is that when Exalted Deeds and VD are available then the healer is going to be having a much different level of effect than if its not. To the point where its at least a tier 4, maybe 3 in effect. Its an on/off switch. It either has it or it doesn't.

I think you're VASTLY overstating the power of Sanctified Spells (and I think the likelyhood of an evil healer in a game with BoVD is extremely low).  They're nice, but they're not THAT nice.  But as a rule, I think ranking the Healer as though they have access to BoED and Sanctified spells all the time (which is what you're effectively assuming here) results in a rather unreliable placement of the class.  Generally speaking, if you wanted to play a versitile healer, and knew the game well enough to know about BoED's spells, you're almost certainly playing a Cleric anyway.  Now, there might be a few rare games where someone actually does play a healer and actually does use Sanctified spells, but it's extremely rare, and it still doesn't put the Healer up much higher as the versitility in Consecrated spells still isn't that great.  Essentially, you're ranking the Healer based on an edge case that still doesn't do as much, I think, as you think it does.  That's why I didn't do it. 

I mean looking over the list of Sanctified Spells, there's not a single one in the same catagory as the really powerful Core spells.  Armageddon, for example, is a far less versitile version of gate that makes you lose a level with every casting.  There's a few blasty spells that are cute but nothing that would even impress a Warmage, a few utility spells that are worth considering (Celestial Aspect can get you a fly speed which is kind of nice).  Channel Celestial is like Polymorph's younger retarded cousin, and would be useful on someone with better spells but is wasted on a Healer.  But in the end, do you really think that any of it even brings you up to the level of Versitility that a Warmage who also works to get great spell access would have?  Remember, equivalent optimization: if you're using Sanctified Spells to get greater spell access, what's the Warmage doing?  Arcane Disciple for a few of the big power core spells?  Sandshaper?  Rainbow Servant?  Are you even sure that a Healer who is expanding his spell list with Sanctified Spells can compete with a Warmage who does something similar, that this edge case even gets it up to the level of a T4 class?  Certainly it's not up to the level of Beguilers and Dread Necromancers by a long shot.  There's a reason I didn't do with the Healer what I did with the Binder (classed it in two places with different given sources).

Its largely an arbitrary number and its partly to make an even playing field on what sources get allowed.
Also its SRD+ Book + 2.

Well, that's a problem.  You're trying to make the system fair but in doing so sacrificing the utility of the system.  The point isn't to make it fair or to make it so each class gets an even shot at winning something.  After all, if you go for fairness all you get is a system ranking roughly how well each class would do in a fair PvP fight or something.  But how often is that relevant?  I know when I made the system I did I made it to help promote intraparty balance because unbalanced parties is a serious problem in standard play much of the time.  Good DMs can solve this problem, but it's a tool to help with that.  The whole system is nothing more than a tool... it is NOT a ranking system for determining who wins. 

As such, it has to apply to as many games as possible.  How many games do you think have a Factotum with SRD + Online Article + Dungeonscape + OA (but not Races of Stone) playing with a Warblade who's got SRD + Tome of Battle + Complete Warrior + Complete Adventurer and a Bard with SRD + Races of the Dragon + Heroes of Horror, for example?  Because that's the kind of thing you're ranking now, and I doubt that comes up very often.  I'm sure the occasional DM might invoke the two books + rule, but it's rare, and as you say, arbitrary.

Persistent spell is in the srd, two a cleric that is just core is still tier 1.

Not really the point, is it?

Does assuming Healers don't have access to BoVD, BoED or a variety of other books really make much sense?

I didn't assume that.  I assumed it's unlikely that Healers have access to BoED or a variety of other 3.0 books.  You know why?  Because it is.  Some will have it, some won't, but it's best to assume that most Healers don't have it and a few do.  Does that make sense?  And thus, if a class requires rarer books to function in a campaign, that class is weaker than a class that can be quite strong with just core, because the class will more likely be less effective.

Certainly, assuming that BoED is only used in some campaigns makes a lot more sense than that every class gets access to exactly two books, any two books they want, beyond what's necessary to play the class.

Pretty much. The book limitation doesn't really matter, as long as classes don't get screwed on sources available. But I like it for the arbitrary line. Which works unless you have non-arbitrary reasons on what should or shouldn't be allowed.

It doesn't really work, that's the problem.  Arbitrary assumptions are just that, arbitrary, and they serve to distance the system from the games it's supposed to help with.  I understand that you want fairness and all that but I think fairness is not what the goal should be.  It's applicability to real campaigns that matters, and real campaigns rarely have any one specific arbitrary rule.  By choosing one such rule, you distance the system from its purpose, even if you think you're promoting fairness with your rule.

JaronK
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 04:04:51 AM by JaronK »

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: August 08, 2009, 11:07:42 AM »
I agree that the book system doesn't really make much sense. At least you have to assume Core + Completes + Spc + MIC + Campaign setting + the book as a base, and then maybe decide that players are likely to want to introduce one or two more. And that makes it so you have rankings and other rankings for different settings.

Perhaps there should be tiers and sub-tiers, and +0.x ratings for each book that adds considerably to a class. So, maybe:

Druid, Tier 1.0,
Serpent Kingdoms +.1

DN: Tier 3
Fiend Folio: +0.1
BoVD: +0.5 (due to corpse and bone creatures)

Healer: Tier 5
BoED: +1

Factotum: Tier 3
OA: +0.1 or 0.2

Of course when you reach over x.9 you go to the next higher Tier.

Seems like lots of work, but it's IMHO the only sensible way once you start getting into that much detail.

Freshums

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #88 on: August 08, 2009, 02:17:05 PM »
A cool idea

I'd suggest that this be taken one step further and having actual builds and tricks of classes modify their existing placements on a tier system.
(Does the Druid's placement still increase if she uses Serpent Kingdoms for its monster races (?) and skips over the Venomfire spell?)
Then again, this is a min/max board.

My imagining of an agreeable tier system would include a base skeletal system for tiers (Just the class' source book and SRD), expanded by add-ons to this skeleton including stronger (or maybe even weaker) builds that would modify the class' existing placement on the tier system (Similar to how the Prestige Class tiering system works, except that this would actually have some context to it.)

The downside of course being such a thing would take an extreme abundance of work and would probably span across dozens of threads (I'm imagining a base tier-thread and then a bunch of referenced threads organizing collections of builds for each class).
The fatness of the individual class threads could probably be significantly decreased by just listing powerful combos and tricks that a class can use.

Otherwise, a DM will probably be fine seeing characters organized in just two tiers.
[Tier 3-] = Probably tough to challenge.
[Tier 4+] = Probably easy to challenge.

Which these two three threads have been doing pretty well.
Keep up the nice work!

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: August 17, 2009, 11:21:02 PM »
What you say about each book being its own modifier makes sense. I am using this system essentially to represent that each player gets decent access to splat books that help with their class. It is a lot easier to do than go through and rate each class based on each book that may be available.

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2009, 11:40:01 PM »

I think you're VASTLY overstating the power of Sanctified Spells (and I think the likelyhood of an evil healer in a game with BoVD is extremely low).  They're nice, but they're not THAT nice.  But as a rule, I think ranking the Healer as though they have access to BoED and Sanctified spells all the time (which is what you're effectively assuming here) results in a rather unreliable placement of the class.  Generally speaking, if you wanted to play a versitile healer, and knew the game well enough to know about BoED's spells, you're almost certainly playing a Cleric anyway.  Now, there might be a few rare games where someone actually does play a healer and actually does use Sanctified spells, but it's extremely rare, and it still doesn't put the Healer up much higher as the versitility in Consecrated spells still isn't that great.  Essentially, you're ranking the Healer based on an edge case that still doesn't do as much, I think, as you think it does.  That's why I didn't do it. 
I maybe overestimating the spells, and you don't have to be evil to use Vile spells. In the case of the cleric, it maybe banned or have a lower point buy or what ever the DM decides to use to balance the tiers.
I mean looking over the list of Sanctified Spells, there's not a single one in the same catagory as the really powerful Core spells.  Armageddon, for example, is a far less versitile version of gate that makes you lose a level with every casting.  There's a few blasty spells that are cute but nothing that would even impress a Warmage, a few utility spells that are worth considering (Celestial Aspect can get you a fly speed which is kind of nice).  Channel Celestial is like Polymorph's younger retarded cousin, and would be useful on someone with better spells but is wasted on a Healer. 
This is true that the spells are inferior to what core classes have available, but they are all on a higher tier. I may have to reevaluate because I am considering moving shugenja down a tier after a closer look at its spell list. Right now the warmage is its compitition.

But in the end, do you really think that any of it even brings you up to the level of Versitility that a Warmage who also works to get great spell access would have?  Remember, equivalent optimization: if you're using Sanctified Spells to get greater spell access, what's the Warmage doing?  Arcane Disciple for a few of the big power core spells?  Sandshaper?  Rainbow Servant? 
I don't consider preparing spells for a day to be on the same level of optimization as taking feats and prestige classes or using UMD to emulate class feature for a rune staff.

Are you even sure that a Healer who is expanding his spell list with Sanctified Spells can compete with a Warmage who does something similar, that this edge case even gets it up to the level of a T4 class?  Certainly it's not up to the level of Beguilers and Dread Necromancers by a long shot.  There's a reason I didn't do with the Healer what I did with the Binder (classed it in two places with different given sources).
You have our tier systems confused. I have warmage at tier 3 and the other two classes at tier 2. I think they are about on par with a sorcerer.

Also its SRD+ Book + 2.

Well, that's a problem.  You're trying to make the system fair but in doing so sacrificing the utility of the system.  The point isn't to make it fair or to make it so each class gets an even shot at winning something.  After all, if you go for fairness all you get is a system ranking roughly how well each class would do in a fair PvP fight or something.  But how often is that relevant?  I know when I made the system I did I made it to help promote intraparty balance because unbalanced parties is a serious problem in standard play much of the time.  Good DMs can solve this problem, but it's a tool to help with that.  The whole system is nothing more than a tool... it is NOT a ranking system for determining who wins. 
The tier system is for people that use the tier system. It makes some assumptions. I will post a note on this eventually explaining assumed access, how some classes get more powerful with more materials allowed and that sort of thing. I don't think many classes will shift much out side of healer and truenamer so I don't really don't have it a high priority.

As such, it has to apply to as many games as possible.  How many games do you think have a Factotum with SRD + Online Article + Dungeonscape + OA (but not Races of Stone) playing with a Warblade who's got SRD + Tome of Battle + Complete Warrior + Complete Adventurer and a Bard with SRD + Races of the Dragon + Heroes of Horror, for example?  Because that's the kind of thing you're ranking now, and I doubt that comes up very often.  I'm sure the occasional DM might invoke the two books + rule, but it's rare, and as you say, arbitrary.
I edited the post a little bit after I posted it, the players all have access to each others books. IF the DM doesn't follow the tenets of the thread then he shouldn't be using the tier system.

Certainly, assuming that BoED is only used in some campaigns makes a lot more sense than that every class gets access to exactly two books, any two books they want, beyond what's necessary to play the class.
It makes my tier system reliable if its followed. Maybe a DM reading my tier system will adopt the two book idea or maybe they allow every thing.

Soda

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2009, 12:12:35 AM »
I don't think the '2 books plus the rest of the party's 2 books' system makes any sense at all. If you want something out of Races of Stone, you just say "there's a dwarf in the party". If you want something out of ToB, you just say "there's a crusader in the party". It's basically just 8 books since you can justify the rest of the party using anything.

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: August 18, 2009, 02:44:03 AM »
I think there's an issue of flexibility within the 2 book system used here. It doesn't take into account niche books or more popular books. I mean I can say that my two books are Heroes of Horror & Lords of Madness but realistically did I purchase those two supplements over the four original completes?

I mean if we are going to use two books to estimate and assume, we should rightly assume that realistically a party is likely to possess:
Core+SRD (so everything located here as it's the easiest access).
Web-Based Material (as it's free and open to everyone)

Then let's move onto the more common and collected:
The Four Original Completes (These are foundational books)
Player's Handbook 2 (This is advertised to almost every player)
Spell Compendium (And this is vital in the eyes for any spell-casting player)

After these books a player's niche area & interest come into play (setting supplements, environmental supplements, racial supplements, campaign-style supplements, ect...)

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: August 18, 2009, 05:00:14 AM »
I don't think the '2 books plus the rest of the party's 2 books' system makes any sense at all. If you want something out of Races of Stone, you just say "there's a dwarf in the party". If you want something out of ToB, you just say "there's a crusader in the party". It's basically just 8 books since you can justify the rest of the party using anything.

I am not assuming a party for the tier systems sake for that reason. I don't think it will move the tiers around to a major degree.

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: August 18, 2009, 05:04:38 AM »
I think there's an issue of flexibility within the 2 book system used here. It doesn't take into account niche books or more popular books. I mean I can say that my two books are Heroes of Horror & Lords of Madness but realistically did I purchase those two supplements over the four original completes?

I mean if we are going to use two books to estimate and assume, we should rightly assume that realistically a party is likely to possess:

After these books a player's niche area & interest come into play (setting supplements, environmental supplements, racial supplements, campaign-style supplements, ect...)
  So are you suggesting a system with those books + one or two others? I think that might work.

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: August 18, 2009, 05:14:49 AM »
So are you suggesting a system with those books + one or two others? I think that might work.

Possibly but we'd have to come to general consensus about which books would be considered into our foundation list.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: August 18, 2009, 11:22:58 AM »

Well, how about going with that base list, and then just list books which offer a significant amount of additional power to JUST that class. What I mean is, if a book adds power to most classes then it won't need special consideration in the Tier system. However, if a book adds a considerable amount to very few classes then you should mention it specially, and represent the change in the tier system.

Like Complete Champion for a Barb, for instance.

And to stick with the "different" approach this Tier system takes, how about making two sets of Tiers: Dip and Progression. The trouble is really that none of the non-casting classes offer many reasons to take them for many levels, because they don't advance anything worth advancing for its own sake. Initiators are maybe the exception.

For example:

Fighter:
Tier 4
Dip: Tier 3, 2 levels

Significant additions:
Dungeonscape +0.2
CoV: +0.1 (because it's quite late)

Barbarian
Tier 4
Dip: Tier 3, 1 level or two levels if Totems can be mixed and matched

Significant additions:
Complete Champion +0.5

Monk
Tier 5
Dip: Tier 3, 2 levels,

Significant additions:
UA +.1  (deserves mention because it seems it's often not allowed even though the rest of the SRD is)

Ranger
Tier 4
Dip: Tier 3, 2 levels, 5 levels for Wildshape Ranger

Significant Additions:
UA

Hexblade:
Tier 5
Dip: Tier 4 with Dark Companion, 4 levels

Bard
Tier 3

BoeD: +0.5 (because doubling the effect via WoC can seriously unbalance the CR system.)
CoR: +0.1

etc.

I think this is a manageable effort because it only demands certain additions to be made to each class, but it also makes sure the Tier system can be used for mostly any campaign, without limiting books, for instance. lans without wanting to disparage your original idea, I think very few DMs are going to use the book limitations in order to use your system. However, they might impose their own limitations if they know what effects a certain book can have on the tiers.

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: August 19, 2009, 12:06:39 AM »
Seems like a decent  idea. It means scrapping my 2 book system which I liked, but I think this is workable.