Author Topic: Duoing a campaign. Druid and Artificer  (Read 6728 times)

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Duoing a campaign. Druid and Artificer
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2009, 11:37:25 AM »
Wildshaping is useful for NOT being in combat.

Shapechange into a direhawk and get 22 dex and the ability to fly!!!

Shapechange into any animal and gain ridiculous bonuses to natural armor, along with a host of other advantages.

DerWille

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2009, 12:02:14 PM »

I'm considering dropping the wildshape feats, because whoever said their friend didn't ever feel the need to head into melee, I can see why. The summons are so powerful that I would just pale by comparison. The only strategy at this point that would be worth a damn would be to have the fleshraker and I venomfired while I'm wildshaped into a fleshraker too. But I wouldn't want to put myself in danger while I can just sit back and let them do the work.

See, I told you. I was typically putting my friend against things that were CR 2+ above him. Eventually it came to the point where the only thing that could truly challenge without being ridiculous (Hi, I'm a Tarresque and you're level 10. Let's be friends!) was having him fight himself. Those creatures are immune and resistant to so much it's unbelievable.

As for summoning feats, what did you settle on for your build? Do you have the Greenbound + Ashbound + Augment Summon trinity? You might consider Summon Elemental from the Complete Mage. It lets you have a nifty Elemental that you can summon infinitely and it gives a +1 CL bonus whenever you're summoning. It might be a good idea to pair it up with that Rashimi Elemental Summoning or whatever it's called from Unapproachable East. It's more for utility though.

If you're not interested in Elemental fun, maybe Rapid Metamagic and its friends? Also if you got Spell Focus: Conjuration because of Augment Summon, Cloudy Conjuration could be useful. Not only could send something ridiculously powerful and broken at them, you can make them sickened too. Only problem is that you'll give your summon and it concealment. On the plus side, you could instead have the cloud pop up near you and give you concealment.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3140.0

That'll be helpful. It has a large list of creatures that already have their greenbound template on them. The only thing you'll have to do is adjust them for augment summon. When my friend was playing as his Druid, he referenced that alot.

Gr1lledcheese

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2009, 12:45:18 PM »
Man that list will be great for me, thanks! For my build I ended up going with Ashbound+Greenbound+Augment along with the required (SF: Conj) and rapid spell. At level 6 and 9 I'll be taking natural spell and Rashemi elemental summoning respectively, with quicken spell at 12th level. After that, I haven't decided yet. My original plan was to go with Dragon Wild Shape, leaving an 18th level feat open.

Now that I've seen these guys in action, I'm not sure what I should take. Dragon Wild Shape will definitely give me some great versatility. Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe my 18th level feat should be assume super natural ability so I can wildshape into something with a high fast healing for when I get targeted instead of my summons. Something to think about at least.

I'm not really interested in the summon elemental feat, small ones are just wimpy  :) and by the time I have the larger ones, I'll be popping out storm elementals instead. I'm going to have to go through a large search of books to find something I want.

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2009, 05:09:07 PM »
Man that list will be great for me, thanks! For my build I ended up going with Ashbound+Greenbound+Augment along with the required (SF: Conj) and rapid spell. At level 6 and 9 I'll be taking natural spell and Rashemi elemental summoning respectively, with quicken spell at 12th level. After that, I haven't decided yet. My original plan was to go with Dragon Wild Shape, leaving an 18th level feat open.

Now that I've seen these guys in action, I'm not sure what I should take. Dragon Wild Shape will definitely give me some great versatility. Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe my 18th level feat should be assume super natural ability so I can wildshape into something with a high fast healing for when I get targeted instead of my summons. Something to think about at least.

I'm not really interested in the summon elemental feat, small ones are just wimpy  :) and by the time I have the larger ones, I'll be popping out storm elementals instead. I'm going to have to go through a large search of books to find something I want.

You know what feat you should take? Flyby Attack. Being able to take a 250 ft. move and cast anywhere within that distance = ultimate safety.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

Gr1lledcheese

• Email
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2009, 06:57:53 PM »
Ok I think I've finally decided what feat I'll be taking. Sudden Maximize lets me maximize a spell once per day without increasing cast time or spell level. This will be incredibly useful for crucial moments when I need to get the most out of my spell. Getting 3 storm elementals, dire bears, or (at lower levels) dire wolves without having to roll is great. I'm not sure if this is legal, but I could also use it to turn my animal companion into a damage superstar by sudden maximizing Venomfire. Can that be done?

At any rate, I think that'll be my level 15 feat, pushing Dragon Wild Shape back to 18.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2009, 07:01:02 PM »
Yes, you are definitely able to cast a Sudden Maximized Venomfire. It's no less effective than you expect.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2009, 12:08:53 AM »
and a rod of maximize works too.... or can you even use a lesser one?  heh, cheap way to boost damage output through the roof....
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2009, 11:16:56 AM »
How bout empower?

1d3, you get a 2, that's 3, you get a 3, that's 4....

I dunno if it works thought...

Gr1lledcheese

• Email
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2009, 12:10:58 PM »
I thought about empower, but for those examples I specified it seemed like it would be better and easier to determine if I just stuck with maximize.

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2009, 12:57:20 PM »
For the sudden metamagic feat

Yes

For the metamagic rod, it's a 18000 gp difference.

Kinda worth tinking about ;)

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2009, 03:34:00 PM »
heh.... use both?
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2009, 04:10:40 PM »
A valid idea too :)

Gr1lledcheese

• Email
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2009, 09:00:27 PM »