Author Topic: CharOp Challenge, take out the BBEG from Age of Worms  (Read 6223 times)

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: CharOp Challenge, take out the BBEG from Age of Worms
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2009, 06:39:16 PM »
See now I want to go find this and run my players through it. :P

Don't suppose you'd be willing to run this here on this board as well? Promise to bring a non incantatrix.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2009, 06:41:33 PM »
if possible i would be interested as well.
Anyone know about any easy upload-sites? We're talking 134 MB here...
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2009, 06:48:38 PM »
i don't know about upload sites but i might be able to make some temporary arrangements through a data center i have full access to. A regular file sharing site would be preferable though, but just saying i could make arrangements with some effort.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2009, 07:05:58 PM »
Quantity has a quality all its own.

I teleport and drop my stronghold on him, hit him with that one spell that temporarily removes spell resistance, and then fire all five hundred spell turrets simultaneously.

Is 500d4 + 500 force damage and 20d6 falling damage enough?  I only have space for 500 turrets more before I have to actually start spending from my WBL.

Or, if I don't want to deal with spell resistance at all, I believe that sonic snap doesn't allow SR.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 07:10:51 PM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2009, 07:09:59 PM »
i don't know about upload sites but i might be able to make some temporary arrangements through a data center i have full access to. A regular file sharing site would be preferable though, but just saying i could make arrangements with some effort.
Lemme know what you want then :)

Quantity has a quality all its own.

I teleport and drop my stronghold on him, hit him with that one spell that temporarily removes spell resistance, and then fire all five hundred spell turrets simultaneously.

Is 500d4 + 500 force damage and 20d6 falling damage enough?  I only have space for 500 turrets more before I have to actually start spending from my WBL.

I love it :D
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2009, 07:15:08 PM »
Ack, sonic snap does allow SR.  I guess I'll have to use arcane thesis shenanigans for some cantrip level consecrated scorching rays instead.  Not an issue, really - I'd have to spend 825000 gp to get all 1650 of them installed - in other words, 12500 gp of real money, plus a bit of overhead to make the castle teleporty.

Damage = 4d6, half is consecrated, half is subject to fire resistance 6.  Average damage is 7, so have to hit with 82.5 rays. 

Hit only on natural 20, so I'll need 1650 rays.  Shenanigans render these cantrip level scorching rays, so I'm buying them as magic traps/spell turrets for 500 gp a pop.  If I wanted, I could buy the whole stronghold as a single item with merchantile background for 25% off, and there's a whole bundle of stronghold discounts I can throw on, but... no need to go into detail.

Oh, and uncanny forethought mark of justice him.  Just because.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 07:22:58 PM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Planetouched Handbook

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2009, 07:19:43 PM »
I could have sworn Kyuss had quickened harm as a 3/day SLA
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2009, 07:23:50 PM »
I could have sworn Kyuss had quickened harm as a 3/day SLA

He said he was going to skip a page of spells and SLAs.

The not acting for the first round of combat makes this a pretty cakewalky encounter.
Planetouched Handbook

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2009, 07:32:32 PM »
The not acting for the first round of combat makes this a pretty cakewalky encounter.
That may have been the reward for destroying one of the things powering his rebirth - I can't remember. I think another sidequest could reduce his Divine Rank to 0.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2009, 07:36:18 PM »
Well, a lyre of building makes anything he tries to do against the stronghold moot anyway.
Planetouched Handbook

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2009, 08:16:35 PM »
TML: 1) Arcane Thesis Errata number 12 prevents you from actually making a Scorching ray cantrip. And Scorching Ray has SR too.

But it's okay, because Acid Splash is SR no, and from that you'll need more attack rolls.

Naldor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2009, 08:23:53 PM »
While not as nasty as Nalthain, I would suggest an uber-charger lite with a Wizard co-hort to serve as shape-changed mount / defensive buffer.  Just do ~1,000 damage to him with a single attack (wraithstrike to make sure you hit) and then be ready to keep him dead via wish / destruction of his body / cast the bits into the abyss / etc.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2009, 08:51:52 PM »
Why I'd bring the king of smack of course.  :lol

THE KING OF SMACK.

Capable of dishing out 72d6 in a single round, and healing half of that back. Use karmic strike with impunity because you are healing 6d6 hp for each hit you score, further cranking up your damage total.

Further abuse: I heard there is an item that increases your natural attacks one step. I don't know what 12d6 increases to, but I imagine it will make your DM cry. Add in an amulet of natural attacks to get whatever additional bonuses you want (+s to hit, energy damage, keen, etc... saves you rounds and PSPs otherwise spent manifesting additional claw powers). To borrow from CompleteSatori's FB build, take an item of sadism to crank your luck bonuses through the roof.

Even more abuse: This build takes advantage of every broken trick you can use with the Elan. With aberration+metamorphosis+metamorphic transfer, you can do a lot of other useful things, such as turning into a beholder or a choker... or a SHARN. Sharns are aberrations, and get 2 standard actions and (with hustle) 2 move actions in a round. They also have 9 arms. Now add in Form of Doom, Bite of the Wolf, and Rapidstrike, and you have a WHOLE LOTTA DAMAGE.

Assuming a strength of 33 (14 base, +4 morphic body, +6 item, +4 huge size from expansion, +5 inherent), a total str mod of +11.

13 claws +29/+29/+29/+29/+29/+29/+29/+29/+29/+24/+19/+19/+19 - 12d6+11 (x13), half returned as healing
1 bite +24 - 4d6+4d8+5
4 tentacles +24/+24/+24/+24 - 4d8+5 (x4)

for fullround damage of 156d6+20d8+168 = 804 damage.

Now assume 2 standard actions + 2 move actions = 2 fullround actions.

1608 damage. Now add in sadism... you get the idea.

THE KING OF SMACK.

Even without the Sharn/sadism abuse (which no sane DM would allow), the psiwar is still hitting pretty hard at 12d6 x6. The best thing about the character is that he's an Elan, and consequently extremely hard to kill. This guy is the ultimate in self-reliance, and a DM's nightmare, even without the damage. Even stripped naked in the middle of the desert, he'll survive. That's the beauty of psionics - psionicists don't need any gear, any spell components, or any other crutches. It doesn't matter if the Weave collapses or my god dies - with a thought, I can move mountains, travel through time, and bend the very fabric of reality. I AM a god. Elans don't even need food. He needs 1 round to set up his inertial armor and his claws, and he's ready to rock. Think about this:

* He can't starve to death.
* He's immortal, so he won't die of old age.
* He's only vulnerable for 4 hours a night, and even that is a trance, not sleep.
* Spot and Listen are class skills for the Illithid Slayer, so he is hard to surprise.
* His saves are decent, and he can add +4 on a critical save anytime.
* He's immune to scrying, so consequently almost impossible to ambush.
* He's immune to mind-affecting effects.
* If you want to kill him, you basically have to do it in one round - if you give him an action, he's going to heal all his damage back
with claws of the vampire. The problem is that you have to do a TON of damage. Anything that gets through his base HP and vigor HP can still be soaked with Elan's racial ability. If he has even 1 HP left, he's going to drain 36d6 from somebody next round. I have a mental image of a giant bashing this guy down to 1 hp with a critical hit - and then next round, this dude leaping at the giant, stabbing into his stomach with his claw, and then climbing his way up the giant's body by sinking his claws into the flesh, draining life all the way.

His only real weakness is death-type effects, and Elan's save bonus helps to deal with that. If you have a choice of magical items, get as much stuff as you can to improve defense and mobility - you have plenty of offense with the claws alone. Also get anything you can to increase your PSPs, as they are the core of your strength. This character is easily powerful enough to solo - he can tank, heal himself, and even blast (with expanded knowledge). Stealth can be a problem, but starting with a ranger level helps (but also gives you an XP penalty). If you get caught in an antimagic zone, well, you still have d8 hit dice and +18 attack bonus, so you can pick up any other good weapon and start bashing people with it.  

Course I'd modify it a bit maybe  I don't know buy an item or something *Shrug* Ultimately i'd be something in that vein.  Spend it all on making myself undetecable and what.

Alternatively maybe Shakuvms black octopus build.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2009, 09:36:02 PM »
guess its safe to assume the BBEG doesn't stand a chance against the charOp boards.....we can just pull out random premade builds created when people said "what if?".  personally, I'd go with either the twice betrayer of shar or possibly one of the combos set up to beat her.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2009, 02:36:05 AM »

Don't suppose you'd be willing to run this here on this board as well? Promise to bring a non incantatrix.
I'd have to get a copy and read through it before I agree anything. :)
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2009, 01:28:18 PM »
Okay, so I went looking for the specific text for the Deities are immune to AMF text, to see if Beholders could still AMF them. And I can't find any statement about being immune at all, I know it must exist, because I've heard it before. So anyone know where it says that so I can see if it applies only to AMF and not to Beholders?

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2009, 03:48:17 PM »
In the beholder monster description it states that the antimagic cone functions like an antimagic field and the spell states that mortal magic such as this has no effect on gods.

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2009, 05:26:44 PM »
In the beholder monster description it states that the antimagic cone functions like an antimagic field and the spell states that mortal magic such as this has no effect on gods.

Is that PHB only? because SRD says nothing like that.

Also, it depends on how the Beholder entry reads.

Immolo

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2009, 05:34:38 PM »

Taken directly from your link.
"Artifacts and deities are unaffected by mortal magic such as this."

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2009, 07:55:41 PM »

Taken directly from your link.
"Artifacts and deities are unaffected by mortal magic such as this."

That is exactly what I was referring to.