Author Topic: Neutralizing the enemy  (Read 1975 times)

Marriclay

• Monkey bussiness
Neutralizing the enemy
« on: June 07, 2010, 06:43:01 PM »
A little while back I was playing in a Play-By-Post Arena game. All the players there are optimizers, and because my warshaper idea didn't fly (apparently in this game they only get one extra body part rather than an unlimited amount) I simply put together a glaivelock quickly and started to fight, and I can honestly say the only thing that kept him in that fight for so long was his damage reduction. This got me thinking, hey, wouldn't it be awesome if I had a character built around making my opponent useless?

Unfortunately, I'm not the best optimizer in the world, and that has prevented me from doing really well in the arena, and my characters keep dying. Thus, I'm asking here, could someone please tell me what a good way to make a build like this is? Essentially nullify the enemy - Damage reduction, unbeatable Spell Resistance, or anything that makes it so I'm almost unkillable/stops the enemy from doing anything

As far as my allowed sources go, pretty much everything except for the Fiendish codex books, Dragon Magazine, and BoVD are allowed, but I'm only allowed to use up to four books for a single character (6 books if he doesn't have a Level Adjustment). As a final note, all characters start at level 10, and are gestalt (with one side of their gestalt holding their LA if they have any)

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
Re: Neutralizing the enemy
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 06:57:46 PM »
Wizard/Cleric 20.  It doesn't matter which.  They both have tons of spells that make it so your opponent is useless in a staggering amount of ways (paralysis, Dex damage imobilizing, curses, imoboilization, sleep, etc.)
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 09:31:20 PM »
Was this my arena?  Your username doesn't sound familiar, but I know I recognize the rest of that.
Edit:  Nevermind, apparently my Alzheimers is acting up again...  :bigeye

If you want to make your foe feel useless, get incredibly high saves, spell resistance (or immunity), and a combo of great AC and DR.  Then gain abilities to make your foes take damage if they dare to actually attack you, there are plenty of spells that do just that, as well as a few items.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 09:35:27 PM by Ithamar »
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 09:32:57 PM »
Hellfire Glaivelock + Robiliar's Gambit + Karmic Strike + Hellfire Shield = Fun and profit to be had.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 09:41:07 PM »
Human Wizard 1/Cleric 3/Geomancer 7/full cleric casting 9 can do a pretty good job.  Take Troll Blooded and Percocious Apprentice as feats and be sure to pick up Ferocity as your level 7 Drift.  Throw up Energy Immunity to Fire and Acid, then just buff yourself as you see fit.

Now go to town in combat.  They can't kill you or get you to stop fighting with damage, and save-or-dies are easy enough to protect against with 19th level Cleric casting.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.