Author Topic: Ask a simple question, get a simple answer, part IV, never gonna give you up...  (Read 150626 times)

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
Q84

I like the Holy Warrior reserve feat (from CChamp), but it requires access to the War domain. And I'd like to get it on an Arcane caster. Would using Arcane Disciple (War) allow me to use this feat? If not and I actually need the domain is there a way I could cast Magic Weapon as a divine spell, aside from highly dubious Southern Magician/Alternate Spell Source cheese? If I could do that then I could just pick up a level of Ordained Champion.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
Q84

I like the Holy Warrior reserve feat (from CChamp), but it requires access to the War domain. And I'd like to get it on an Arcane caster. Would using Arcane Disciple (War) allow me to use this feat? If not and I actually need the domain is there a way I could cast Magic Weapon as a divine spell, aside from highly dubious Southern Magician/Alternate Spell Source cheese? If I could do that then I could just pick up a level of Ordained Champion.

Don't see why you wouldn't be able to use Arcane Disciple for this. It's not as if the feat is based around the domain's benefit rather than its spells, after all.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

kalaskaagathas

• Bi-Curious George
  • "Seek Perfection of Character" - Gichin Funakoshi
Q85

Are there any builds/guides on the boards to creating an artillery type character (e.g. one who specializes in doing major harm to the opposition via direct damage and/or save-or-sucks and has back up utility capability)?  Using Psionics if at all possible?

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Q86 Which divine feats don't explicitly mention turn undead and can thus be powered by any domain turning ability?
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Archmage Joda

• Bi-Curious George
  • Parenchaaaaaaaaaannn!!!
    • Email
Q 87 Is there anything that a ranger can take (feats, alternate features, etc.) that functions like alacritous cogitation, allowing to swap a prepared spell for another available spell?
"My advanced brain is far too meaty to be swayed. Plus, it's practically dripping with genius sauce made from a special recipe of 11 herbs and spices" - Black Mage

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
Wow no one is giving answers... As a fairness elemental I guess I should give answers before my own question.

79: What is tomb of ancient lore? Citation?

85: Wow thats kind of specific. My best guess is psions. They have the most choices (hence the ability to do all those things). There are psion handbooks though. Pick and choose what you think best. Or make a build and ask for some hints.

86: Take a look at all the divine feats (search 'divine') here. Cross reference at your leisure. I have looked through them all and they usually aren't that great except about 4. They go back and forth between just a turn check and turn "undead".

87: not that I have ever heard of. I am familiar with the alternate class feautres though.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
Q88: Are there any seperate base cleric classes besides regular cleric and cloistered cleric? If I could find a third, it would rock.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
Currently playing:
Forte Lulz, Chaotic EVIL Bard bent on world domination;
Canere Potentia, to sing of power.
Aralaxax, Warforged Osteomancer, Machines are my people, I wield bones as other wield swords.
Randall Gray, she's not sexually confused, honest!
Zion "I can make followers, but why bother when people line up for me?"
Currently DMing: Real Men Use Their Hands, World's Largest Dungeon
"If you can pretend to be a half-orc barbarian or a dwarf wizard then you can pretend to be an alpha male."-Ninjarabbit
"The hotel shop only had two decent books, and I'd written both of them."-Douglas Adams
"It's funny how the Earth never opens up and swallows you when you want it to." Xander Harris, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
Wow no one is giving answers... As a fairness elemental I guess I should give answers before my own question.

79: What is tomb of ancient lore? Citation?

85: Wow thats kind of specific. My best guess is psions. They have the most choices (hence the ability to do all those things). There are psion handbooks though. Pick and choose what you think best. Or make a build and ask for some hints.

86: Take a look at all the divine feats (search 'divine') here. Cross reference at your leisure. I have looked through them all and they usually aren't that great except about 4. They go back and forth between just a turn check and turn "undead".

87: not that I have ever heard of. I am familiar with the alternate class feautres though.

The Tome of Ancient Lore is a relic item in both Complete Divine and MiC.  The relic power basically gives access to every arcane spell.  Like, all of them, ever (that means the converted ones too).
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
Q88: Are there any seperate base cleric classes besides regular cleric and cloistered cleric? If I could find a third, it would rock.
A88: Favored soul in a stretch
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Q 87 Is there anything that a ranger can take (feats, alternate features, etc.) that functions like alacritous cogitation, allowing to swap a prepared spell for another available spell?
Uncanny forethought?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Suzerain

• Bi-Curious George
  • is on extended leave
Also from UA, a cleric can swap turn undead for smite evil like a paladin, though that's probably not what you're looking for.

Q79 : What is the interraction between a Tome of Ancient Lore and someone capable of preparing arcane spells?  I.E. would a Wu-Jen benefit as a Wizard would, and may a divine caster if they have a means of converting it (either to divine, or by simply using it, as assumed by the above)?
You need two things: a) the ability to prepare arcane spells and b) a spellbook. So that means Factotums (they use spellbooks, right?), Chameleons, Wu-Jen, and Archivists using Alternative Source spell would work. A more RAI interpretation would mean that the designers didn't know of any way for an arcane caster to prepare spells without having a spellbook (the feat Spell Preparation could do it for all spontaneous casters, though). Using that interpretation, any caster can do it, if he has the right feats.

Edit: This is brilliant. I think I need to do a Sorcerer using this to gain spells known (effectively). Think of the possiblities! With enough downtime, you can do anything a Wizard can :P

Q89
Is there any way to turn targeted spells, ray spells, or touch spells into area spells for the purpose of royally screwing a swarm's immunity against spells with those effect types?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 12:00:50 AM by Suzerain »

SixthDeclension

• King Kong
  • "Wit is educated insolence."
    • Email
Q90 Is there a Dinosaur Rider PrC anywhere?
My choice place for buying Magic: the Gathering Singles: adventuresOn.com

Currently DMing a Solo PbP, Check it out here

Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green,
That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown,
That host on the morrow lay withered and strown.

Ribusprissin

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
First time reader, first time poster here (but I did search beforehand). Q 91: Does a familiar benefit from Speak Language? Are they literate? Can they speak (for command words)? Synergy bonuses? Skill tricks? Trapfinding?

SixthDeclension

• King Kong
  • "Wit is educated insolence."
    • Email
If they are a raven they can speak, and therefore activate command words, and would benefit from Speak Language.
My choice place for buying Magic: the Gathering Singles: adventuresOn.com

Currently DMing a Solo PbP, Check it out here

Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green,
That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown,
That host on the morrow lay withered and strown.

Suzerain

• Bi-Curious George
  • is on extended leave
First time reader, first time poster here (but I did search beforehand). Q 91: Does a familiar benefit from Speak Language? Are they literate? Can they speak (for command words)? Synergy bonuses? Skill tricks? Trapfinding?
SixthDeclension ninja'd me here - here's my post though:

You can't have 'ranks' in speak language per se, thus your familiar can't benefit from skillpoints you put there. It would work likewise for skill tricks. Everything that speaks is literate, though (excepting Barbarians, but their unintelligible rambling can hardly be called 'speaking'), so Ravens can read (and use command words). Synergy bonuses from master's skill ranks carry over. Trapfinding is a class feature and can't be used by the animal.

A way to teach your familiar skill tricks and speak languages, at least as long as its intelligence stays 3 or higher, would be to use psychic reformation on it. You can also give it a better feat while you're at it. They only get what skill points and feat slots their normal 1 HD-animal types get, though. That'd be 1 feat and 4 skill points. Their racial feats can be swapped using the chaos feat shuffle (this is a high-level technique, though).

There are also advanced familiars you can aquire with the "improved familiar" feat with lists in lots of books (search for "improved familiar" on the wizards feat index).
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 01:33:36 AM by Suzerain »

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
Trapfinding is a class feature and can't be used by the animal.
Not nessisarily true... some DMs (Most of those here in my home town) are willing to agree that any animal that can be taught sign languid, must have an INT score above 3, therefore must be able to take class levels...
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
Also from UA, a cleric can swap turn undead for smite evil like a paladin, though that's probably not what you're looking for.

Q79 : What is the interraction between a Tome of Ancient Lore and someone capable of preparing arcane spells?  I.E. would a Wu-Jen benefit as a Wizard would, and may a divine caster if they have a means of converting it (either to divine, or by simply using it, as assumed by the above)?
You need two things: a) the ability to prepare arcane spells and b) a spellbook. So that means Factotums (they use spellbooks, right?), Chameleons, Wu-Jen, and Archivists using Alternative Source spell would work. A more RAI interpretation would mean that the designers didn't know of any way for an arcane caster to prepare spells without having a spellbook (the feat Spell Preparation could do it for all spontaneous casters, though). Using that interpretation, any caster can do it, if he has the right feats.

Edit: This is brilliant. I think I need to do a Sorcerer using this to gain spells known (effectively). Think of the possiblities! With enough downtime, you can do anything a Wizard can :P

Q89
Is there any way to turn targeted spells, ray spells, or touch spells into area spells for the purpose of royally screwing a swarm's immunity against spells with those effect types?

Actually, it's for a Mystic Ranger with Sword of the Arcane Order, using the same trick Chameleons do to get dual nines (only just for ranger spells in this case).  Since they will have the slots to prepare spells in, they will effectively have full 9th level spell progression, plus Miracle (either 1/day or 3/day, I can't remember how many Catalogues of Enlightenment).  All without losing a lick of CL or BAB, with awesome skills, HiPS, Evasion, and since you max out spell progression from MR at 17, why not try and squeeze in 3 levels of Scout at the end for Swift Hunter to boot?
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Suzerain

• Bi-Curious George
  • is on extended leave

Actually, it's for a Mystic Ranger with Sword of the Arcane Order, using the same trick Chameleons do to get dual nines (only just for ranger spells in this case).  Since they will have the slots to prepare spells in, they will effectively have full 9th level spell progression, plus Miracle (either 1/day or 3/day, I can't remember how many Catalogues of Enlightenment).  All without losing a lick of CL or BAB, with awesome skills, HiPS, Evasion, and since you max out spell progression from MR at 17, why not try and squeeze in 3 levels of Scout at the end for Swift Hunter to boot?
Sword of the Arcane Order requires use of a spellbook and prepares spells as arcane spells iirc. Should work without additional feats :shrug

I'm curious about that trick Chameleons and other low-casters such as Mystic Ranger can use to get ninth-level spells. Please elaborate. The dirty tricks handbook is a good place for that.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Q85

Are there any builds/guides on the boards to creating an artillery type character (e.g. one who specializes in doing major harm to the opposition via direct damage and/or save-or-sucks and has back up utility capability)?  Using Psionics if at all possible?

There may be some builds in the psions handbook in char op. but i would suggest starting with the nova guide on wizards forums. that is a good start for blowing the hell out of your opponent.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren