Author Topic: Dash Jump!  (Read 3272 times)

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Dash Jump!
« on: July 16, 2009, 02:51:47 PM »
I just read Up The Walls, and I came to this revelation: nothing in the RAW says that you can't end your movement by standing on the ceiling. It just says that you need a Horizontal Surface.

Anyway I came up with that when trying to find a way to Air Dash. Basically my idea was Wind Walk + Skate + Up the Walls means that you can run through the air however you please. Anyone have a better idea on how to do it? And yes, I do know about the fly spell.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: Dash Jump!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 02:54:39 PM »
Anyway I came up with that when trying to find a way to Air Dash. Basically my idea was Wind Walk + Skate + Up the Walls means that you can run through the air however you please. Anyone have a better idea on how to do it? And yes, I do know about the fly spell.
There's a soulmeld (airstep sandals, I think) which grants you a fly speed for the duration of a move action. The sudden leap manouver can be used in midair.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 02:57:20 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 02:55:29 PM »
Ah, excellent catch on Sudden Leap.

The base for this will be either a Neraph of a Thri-Kreen. Both get a racial bonus on jump.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 03:04:58 PM »
There are a couple movement skill tricks in Complete Scoundrel that may give you some additional options.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 03:05:21 PM »
"Use-activated or continuous" boots of wall of ectoplasm which require 5 ranks in Jump would cost 101,000gp - expensive, sure, but you can create a small platform beneath your feet to stand on as a free action whenever you want. :D

You might be able to get away with an ML 1 version for 14,400gp. If the boots require a psicrystal to be attached to function, you could get them as low as 9,600gp. :smirk

EDIT: Corrected prices - wall of ectoplasm is 1 min/level, not 1 round/level like wall of force.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 08:26:00 PM by Prime32 »
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 03:20:53 PM »
"Use-activated or continuous" boots of wall of ectoplasm which require 5 ranks in Jump would cost 202,000gp - expensive, sure, but you can create a small platform beneath your feet to stand on as a free action whenever you want. :D

You might be able to get away with an ML 1 version for 28,800gp. If it requires a psicrystal to be attached to function, you could get it as low as 19,200gp. :smirk
Add Artificer shenanigans to bring that down by a crapload :D
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 03:24:02 PM »
Combining the cheapest version with boots of skating comes to 15,900gp by the way.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 08:24:24 PM by Prime32 »
My work

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 02:29:27 AM »
These are good suggestions. I'm looking for a way around the restriction of air walk that says you can't fall. Sudden Leap is good, as are the boots (though that's not quite how they work, i'd imagine).

If this works out well, I'll have fun throwing this at my players.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 09:02:54 AM »
These are good suggestions. I'm looking for a way around the restriction of air walk that says you can't fall. Sudden Leap is good, as are the boots (though that's not quite how they work, i'd imagine).
Well, wall of ectoplasm is dismissable.

Try giving them to a warforged with the Unarmoured Body feat - have them store them with a brutal surge battlefist and a suit of armour in a ring of arming which is held by the psicrsytal.

*sigh* No-one pointed out the reference. :pout
My work

telehax

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 11:29:34 AM »
Ah, excellent catch on Sudden Leap.

The base for this will be either a Neraph of a Thri-Kreen. Both get a racial bonus on jump.

...Raptoran?

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 12:41:05 PM »
Well, wall of ectoplasm is dismissable.

Try giving them to a warforged with the Unarmoured Body feat - have them store them with a brutal surge battlefist and a suit of armour in a ring of arming which is held by the psicrsytal.

*sigh* No-one pointed out the reference. :pout
I would have commented except my ISP is total rubbish and I could barely access the web for the past few days.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 11:26:32 PM »
Can I do a double jump by jumping normally and activating Sudden Leap?
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

telehax

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 08:07:02 AM »

Technically, you can activate swift actions at any time during your turn, including during spellcasting, and since according to Rules Compendium swift actions don't interrupt spells, I think it would be a safe bet to say this applies to maneuvers and jumping too.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 12:00:09 PM »
:) Double Jump. It makes every other game better! Why not DnD?
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 06:32:06 PM »

Only because the rules don't specifically mention you needing anything other than a running start to effectively jump (and even so there are ways around that).
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 07:06:10 PM »

Only because the rules don't specifically mention you needing anything other than a running start to effectively jump (and even so there are ways around that).
And because Sudden Leap says that you move the distance indicated by your Jump check. It doesn't say you actually have to jump. Heck, you could jump straight down.
My work

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 11:00:21 PM »

And because Sudden Leap says that you move the distance indicated by your Jump check. It doesn't say you actually have to jump. Heck, you could jump straight down.

Burrowing speed!
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 07:02:53 PM »

Burrowing speed!
Ah, Mario, you crazy plumber you!