Author Topic: Another CO Challenge : Making a 25 HD Steel Dragon/UE Dragon  (Read 1977 times)

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
So...the epic game I'm in is allowing LA buyoff, up to 3 LA.  Steel Dragon is LA 2, as is the Unearthed Arcana dragon.  And lo and behold, old catagory (aka 25 HD for a Steel) is the magic level for Epic Spells.  Now, going off the locational feats and Dark Chaos shuffle from the previous CO Challenge thread I made, what would be the most effective use of this Tech?  Also, a psionic dragon using either NI extra powers (i.e. erudite dragon) or a ton of PsyChir to achieve the same would be considered.  Let's build an Uberdragon!
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Another CO Challenge : Making a 25 HD Steel Dragon/UE Dragon
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 05:27:24 PM »
You want a wyrmling Steel Dragon, not an Old one.

It's only wyrmlings that have the LA of +2. Older versions have more level adjustment. In fact, I think the oldest age category that has a listed level adjustment is Young Adult.

Furthermore, those 25 HD you mentioned for an Old dragon? Yeah, those all have to be racial hit dice.

Also: Unearthed Arcana Dragon? What?

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 05:33:30 PM by Emy »

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 05:50:44 PM »
You want a wyrmling Steel Dragon, not an Old one.

It's only wyrmlings that have the LA of +2. Older versions have more level adjustment. In fact, I think the oldest age category that has a listed level adjustment is Young Adult.

Furthermore, those 25 HD you mentioned for an Old dragon? Yeah, those all have to be racial hit dice.

Also: Unearthed Arcana Dragon? What?

My bad, Arcana Evolved (formerly known as Arcana Unearthed).  Their dragons are more customizable.  As for racial HD, that's the point.  I can always Epic Spell in any Ex or Su I want, or an Ex or Su that emulates a spiffy class feature (looking at you, Swiftblade and Abjurant Champion), so the idea is giving all of that the sturdiest skeleton possible.  And for raw power, few things top a dragon, especially in regards to never, ever being without that power.  Even totally denied all it's magic and Su abilities (dead magic world), the damn thing can still fly and rip things to shreds :)  Granted, a Wizard or CoM can probably do all of this anyhow via shapechanging, but I wanna see what we can do with a real nonkobold dragon.  The Fucking Uberdragon (full title :P ).

EDIT : Also, ultimately the ideal dragon is one an archmage makes.  Once I find my Transform seed base, I'll post up what my Iconic turned himself into in a high epic game.  If anyone wants to play Epic Spellcaster, feel free.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 05:54:31 PM by KellKheraptis »
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Salt_Crow

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 08:31:22 PM »
The latest update of steel dragon (DR 339) lists its LA as +3 for a wyrmling up to +5 for Juvenile. Any higher you don't even have any LA.

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 09:51:14 PM »
The latest update of steel dragon (DR 339) lists its LA as +3 for a wyrmling up to +5 for Juvenile. Any higher you don't even have any LA.

Dragons of Faerun.

:)

edit: I mean that Dragons of Faerun is a more recent update of the Steel Dragon. It's a "real" book, too.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 09:54:15 PM by Emy »

Salt_Crow

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 10:24:44 PM »

Dragons of Faerun.

:)

edit: I mean that Dragons of Faerun is a more recent update of the Steel Dragon. It's a "real" book, too.

I stand corrected then. Thanks ;)