Author Topic: Mounted rogue build concept  (Read 6751 times)

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Mounted rogue build concept
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2009, 05:19:17 PM »
Won't work. Need Martial Study first, which you can't take at 1HD since you lack an IL. Then you need Martial Stance. The horse needs 6HD minimum.

I guess that wouldn't work for a Horse, specifically... but Warbeast animals are rather cheap, so a Magebred Tyrannosaurus Rex or Dire Horse is able to take Martial Study/Martial Stance just fine.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 05:28:50 PM by Emy »

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2009, 05:19:44 PM »
Smiley Request thread. :P

Jawohl! *clicks heels*

And now back to your regular scheduled program :)
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2009, 05:21:14 PM »
Won't work. Need Martial Study first, which you can't take at 1HD since you lack an IL. Then you need Martial Stance. The horse needs 6HD minimum.

I guess that wouldn't work for a Horse, specifically... but Warbeast animals are rather cheap, so a Magebred Tyrannosaurus Rex or Dire Horse be able to take Martial Study/Martial Stance just fine.
I've never seen a price for a dire horse or T-Rex...
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2009, 05:22:33 PM »

I guess that wouldn't work for a Horse, specifically... but Warbeast animals are rather cheap, so a Magebred Tyrannosaurus Rex or Dire Horse be able to take Martial Study/Martial Stance just fine.
I've never seen a price for a dire horse or T-Rex...
The Warbeast template (MM II) gives them one. Pretty cheap too.
EDIT: For creatures above 4 HD, it's 100+75*HD, so Big T would be 1,450 gp.
EDIT 2: 1,525 actually, since Warbeast adds a hit die.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 05:30:00 PM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2009, 05:28:59 PM »
Touche. That's the way to do it, then.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2009, 05:32:37 PM »
Speaking of Warbeast dinosaurs, I just had an idea for halfling antagonists in an Eberron campaign... :D
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2009, 05:46:02 AM »
Don't forget Battletitans ;)
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2009, 12:46:29 PM »
Whats the rule with cohort levels and monsters? at 18hd is that the same as ecl 18? because they aren't nearly the same level of power...

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2009, 12:47:48 PM »
Whats the rule with cohort levels and monsters? at 18hd is that the same as ecl 18? because they aren't nearly the same level of power...
If it doesn't have a Level Adjustment you can't take it as a cohort (note: "LA: -" is not the same thing as an LA of +0).
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 12:49:45 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2009, 12:50:18 PM »
No love for advanced awakened fleshrakers with levels of Druidic Avenger casting venomfire?

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2009, 12:52:50 PM »
No love for advanced awakened fleshrakers with levels of Druidic Avenger casting venomfire?
Better off getting a standard druid to share it with him - he'll have a higher caster level.
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2009, 04:15:27 PM »
Better off getting a standard druid to share it with him - he'll have a higher caster level.
And you can get two Fleshrakers that way :D

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2009, 07:02:13 PM »
If it doesn't have a Level Adjustment you can't take it as a cohort (note: "LA: -" is not the same thing as an LA of +0).

Wild Cohort then!

Cavalry_Medic

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2009, 03:59:41 PM »
I just wanted to point out, the OP concept probably won't work with a lance, as it has reach, thereby probably making your mount non-adjacent to the foe at the time of striking.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2009, 04:19:35 PM »
I just wanted to point out, the OP concept probably won't work with a lance, as it has reach, thereby probably making your mount non-adjacent to the foe at the time of striking.

Won't most mounts be large size anyways? Or does flanking require adjacent, not threatened? Either way; you could be tiny sized...

But the issue I see here is that the majority of charge damage comes from multipliers and huge Power Attack ratios. But neither of those are very useful when it comes to sneak attacking.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2009, 08:32:06 PM »
But the issue I see here is that the majority of charge damage comes from multipliers and huge Power Attack ratios. But neither of those are very useful when it comes to sneak attacking.
Except that this rogue doesn't have to invest in sneaky stuff, so he has room for the feats and items normally used by barbarians (and, well, some weapon crystals of course).

Is there a good Tiny race without a massive Str penalty? Put one on a Small or Medium flying mount with a sky lance.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 08:34:16 PM by Prime32 »
My work