Author Topic: Help with gestalt Ur priest build please  (Read 2216 times)

Whiplord

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
Help with gestalt Ur priest build please
« on: July 10, 2009, 10:47:08 PM »
I'm going to be starting play in a gestalt campaign pretty soon, and would love some tips for my character. We'll be starting at level 13, and I have one side of the build settled on. However the other side of the build beyond some LA is kind of up in the air. I also am at a loss for feats.

What I do have looks like this:

Evolved (x2) Gravetouched Ghoul (Augmented Human)
LA 4/X 9//Hexblade 3/Paladin of Tyranny 2/Ur-Priest 7/Contemplative 1

The Ur priest side will continue into heirophant for a few levels after this point. I'm at a pretty big loss for what to put on the other side though. I played this dude in one other game and used Factotum, which was nice but I felt it could have been better. And, as I said earlier I'm at a loss for feats beyond what I need for prereqs.

Essentially any official wizard sources are allowed including Dragon. The one exception I can think of is no DMM (unforetunately).  Two flaws are allowed.

Thanks!

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
Re: Help with gestalt Ur priest build please
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 01:06:55 AM »
My short answer is Warblade.

My longer one, umm... What are you wanting to do/be?
How about LA 4/Binder 3/Rogue 1/Swordsage 12//Hexblade 4/Paladin of Tyranny 3/Ur-Priest 7/Contemplative 1/Hierophant 5?
Take the flaw Weak Will and pick up Iron Will then pick up Malign Spell Focus with another flaw, then pick up Improved Binding in your 6th feat slot to bind Focalor. Also, pick up Sickening and Terrifying Strike. Finally, worship an elder evil and pick up Insane Defiance.

Tranny nets Aura of Despair, binding Focalor nets Aura of Sadness, Hexblade nets Dark Companion, and finally SAing can add both Sickened and Frightened to your save debuffing. Then at the cost of taking one wisdom damage, cast a Dominate Monster spell on yourself and redirect it, your foe will have a -14 penalty to his save. You can even use the save or suck strikes from the swordsage levels while imposing up to a -10 penalty on their saves.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 01:11:59 AM »
I'd go with gray elf instead, and pick up faerie mysteries initiate for int to hp instead of con.

My standard advice for undead is to take a few levels of the ghost savage progression. (you are explicitly allowed to multiclass freely without completing it).  The alternate ghost variants on page 151 of LM allow for some interesting options as well - Sagacious ghost is probably best if combined with knowledge devotion.

You might also want to pick up the unseelie fey template (dragon compendium 223.)  It's LA+0, and grants some very sweet abilities.  One small note: oddly enough, the level adjustment is listed under the example character, before the class is actually listed.  

Unseelie fey lets you give your charisma bonus as a penalty to the saves of all living nonfey within 5'.  Yeah.  It's pretty badass.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Whiplord

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 03:06:05 AM »
My short answer is Warblade.

My longer one, umm... What are you wanting to do/be?
How about LA 4/Binder 3/Rogue 1/Swordsage 12//Hexblade 4/Paladin of Tyranny 3/Ur-Priest 7/Contemplative 1/Hierophant 5?
Take the flaw Weak Will and pick up Iron Will then pick up Malign Spell Focus with another flaw, then pick up Improved Binding in your 6th feat slot to bind Focalor. Also, pick up Sickening and Terrifying Strike. Finally, worship an elder evil and pick up Insane Defiance.

Tranny nets Aura of Despair, binding Focalor nets Aura of Sadness, Hexblade nets Dark Companion, and finally SAing can add both Sickened and Frightened to your save debuffing. Then at the cost of taking one wisdom damage, cast a Dominate Monster spell on yourself and redirect it, your foe will have a -14 penalty to his save. You can even use the save or suck strikes from the swordsage levels while imposing up to a -10 penalty on their saves.

That's definitely an interesting idea. One that hadn't occurred to me, and I admit it sounds cool. I do have one question on it though for starters. I understand the usage of most of that, but I'm not seeing the purpose of Dark Companion. Does it have a specific purpose neccessarily, or is it just a nice perk per say?

That said I'm not entirely sure if it fits the idea I had for the character, which granted I didn't express at all. I don't even know if this is feasibly possible without DMM, but I pictured him as more of a heavy hitter melee type than the sneaky type. I suppose that above build doesn't have to be sneaky, but it seems to like it. That is definitely a cool idea though.

I'd go with gray elf instead, and pick up faerie mysteries initiate for int to hp instead of con.

My standard advice for undead is to take a few levels of the ghost savage progression. (you are explicitly allowed to multiclass freely without completing it).  The alternate ghost variants on page 151 of LM allow for some interesting options as well - Sagacious ghost is probably best if combined with knowledge devotion.

You might also want to pick up the unseelie fey template (dragon compendium 223.)  It's LA+0, and grants some very sweet abilities.  One small note: oddly enough, the level adjustment is listed under the example character, before the class is actually listed. 

Unseelie fey lets you give your charisma bonus as a penalty to the saves of all living nonfey within 5'.  Yeah.  It's pretty badass.

Another very interesting suggestion. Particularly Grey Elf. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks also for pointing out Unseelie Fey. I remember reading about it, but it hadn't occurred to me in this case.

As for the ghost, I'll agree it's really nice, but I'm not sure if I like the idea of this character being one. I'll still consider it though I think.

Thanks for all the ideas. I'd love some more though. I apologize for not being able to be more specific as to what I want. Hopefully I can get a better idea and help out.

Paradox

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 10:21:04 AM »
Tranny nets Aura of Despair...

Ya I bet they do..

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 11:30:36 AM »
I understand the usage of most of that, but I'm not seeing the purpose of Dark Companion. Does it have a specific purpose neccessarily, or is it just a nice perk per say?
Overkill? Any enamy standing next to it has a -2 unnamed penalty imposed on their saves and AC.

You can always go with Crusader over Swordsage. It fits the flavor and your melee desires but crusaders are not wisdom based.
You could also try for RKV using something like Dread Necromancer to net Turning if your DM lets you over look the Wee Jas requirement.
Maybe you can get away with saying you stole the powers of RKV from her. :D

[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
[/spoiler]

Whiplord

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 04:48:53 AM »
I'm liking the debuff idea more and more actually. Would you mind breaking down where all the save penalties are coming from though?

I see...

-2 from dark companion
-2 from aura of despair
-2 from aura of sadness
-2 sickening strike
-2 terrifying strike

For a total of -10. Where was the extra -4 coming from?

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 02:03:16 PM »
-2 unnamed from dark companion
-2 unnamed from aura of despair
-2 unnamed from aura of sadness
-2 from being sickened (sickening strike)
-2 from being shakened (terrifying strike)
-4 from Insane Defiance (elder evils feat, take 1 wis damage to redirect a mind affecting spell you cast on you self to someone else)

And on the other side of Saves, theres DC boosting as well.
Snowcast (frostburn): Adds the [Cold] descriptor to all spells you cast if you have snow.
Eschew Materials (core): Never run out of snow, even in the desert.
Draconic Heritage (dragon magic): Take any dragon that is [Cold] based for the other draconic feats.
Draconic Aura (dragon magic): Up to +4 to the save DC of any [Cold] spell (scales by level).
Draconic Power (complete arcane): +1 to the save DC of any [Cold] spell you cast.
Cold Focus (frostburn): +1 to the save DC of any [Cold] spell you cast, stacks with all the other focuses.
Greater Cold Focus (frostburn): +1 to the save DC of any [Cold] spell you cast, stacks with all the other focuses.
Icemail Armor (item, online): +2 to the save DC of [Cold] spells you cast.
Of course you have no feat room with the above. In fact you'll have to take two flaws and dip into sorcerer to get them all and still have room for a metamagic feat but you don't really need them all. Well, maybe you don't...

-10 on their save, +9 on your DCs, assuming 34 wisdom that's like trying to beat DC 41 + spell level (45 if mind affecting).
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 04:28:02 PM »
And another -3 to -6 from unseelie fey, if you go that route.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.