Author Topic: CO Diary: The Simple Life of a Totemist  (Read 4843 times)

Smudgy

• Curious George
CO Diary: The Simple Life of a Totemist
« on: July 03, 2009, 05:06:22 PM »
*cue my Rob Zombie theme song*
"Hey, yeah - I'm the one that you wanted!  Hey, yeah - I'm the superbeast!"

A Small Introduction

Well, after reading Sinfire Titan's handbook and diary about the Totemist, there wasn't any real reason (at least in my mind) not to play one.  Feel free to advise me on my character, because this is me dipping my toe into Magic of Incarnum before I've learned how to swim in it; I've never used the book in my life.  The group of friends I play with aren't the greatest of optimizers, they know the basics, and a only a bit beyond that.  I have something of a reputation among them as the powergamer who never dies, though I hardly consider myself that well versed in optimization.  I also pretty much always play characters with high intelligence and charisma (Man do I love Beguilers!), so this'll be an interesting change for me.  

As for the campaign, it's homebrewed, the setting inspired by Norse mythology.  Beyond that I have no idea what it's about or where it'll take us.  Also, the DM isn't that familiar with the CR system, though I've always found it difficult to find a good balance.  But he should find it as the game progresses.  Onwards to the character!

Grak the Blue Whirlwind

Race: Dragonborn Water Orc
Class: Barbarian 1 / Totemist 4

Stats[spoiler]
Str: 22 (26)
Dex: 14 (18)
Con: 20
Int: 9
Wis: 10
Cha: 4[/spoiler]

Combat Stats[spoiler]
HP: 65
AC: 19, Touch: 12, Flatfooted 17
(Ferocity +4 Dex, +2 vs. ranged attacks)
Initiative: +2 (+4)
Speed: 30ft

BAB/Grp: +4 / +10
Full Attack: 1 Claw +12 to hit [+14] (1d4+8 [10]), 3 Claws +10 to hit [+12] (1d4+5 [6])
1 Tail +10 to hit [+12] (1d8+4 [5]) or...
Mwk. Composite Longbow(+8) +10 to hit (1d8+8)
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +7, Will +2 (+3)[/spoiler]

Class Features[spoiler]
Ferocity 3/day (switched out rage)
Pounce (switched out fast movement)
Illiteracy x2 Double the fun!
Wild Empathy
Totem Chakra Bind
Totem's Protection[/spoiler]

Feats/Skills[spoiler]
1st: Extra Rage
3rd: Multiattack

Skills pretty much unimportant... Grak not smart.
[/spoiler]

Soulmelds Active[spoiler]
Girallon Arms (2 essentia) (Totem Chakra bound)
Rage Claws
Wormtail Belt
Dragon Tail (1 essentia)[/spoiler]

Equipment[spoiler]
+1 Mithral Shirt
Anklet of Translocation
Crystal of Arrow Deflection (least)
Healing Belt
Mwk. Composite Longbow +8 (No one in our party seems to have any ranged attacks. Hmmm....)
Crystal of Return (least)
Cloak of Resistance +1
Everlasting Rations
Everfull Mug
Average adventuring gear, you know the stuff.[/spoiler]

Racial Traits / Character Info[spoiler]
+2 Dodge AC vs. Dragons
Immunity to Frightful Presence
Wing Aspect: +10 Jump checks, Gliding, etc...
Languages: Common, Orc, Draconic

Rest of the Party

Human Cleric 3/ Church Inquisitor 2: This player's very inexperienced, and this is his first attempt at a character with access to magic.  So I helped him make a simple divine metamagic(persistent) cleric that's easy enough to play. I've been trying to explain to him how clerics at lower levels aren't going to be like the meatshields that he usually plays.  Hopefully he understands this and won't get bored.

Human Fighter 2/ Warblade 3: A tripper with a spiked chain, this guy knows what he doing.  Nothing really stands out about him, just your run of the mill Warblade, which of course is never a problem.  He fears that my Totemist with completely overshadow his character, but only time will reveal that.  :smirk

Dwarf Transmuter 5: This player has had difficulty with casters in the past.  He can't seem to figure out his spells per day and spells known, though I've explained it multiple times.  He's often a frontliner as well, because he feels that he isn't doing anything when he's not crushing something under his foot in combat.  This aside, he recognizes that fireball can't compare to spells like glitterdust and haste.  Hopefully this character will help him realize how much wizards contribute to the party as a whole.  I've also convinced him to get Girallon's Blessing as a spell next level to give me two more arms.  Sweet.

Plans for the Future

This is the basic plan.
6th level: Warblade 1 (Cobalt Rage)
7th and on: Totem Rager

I'm taking Warblade because of my crappy will save, and because it's Warblade.  But it's making me very sad how my meldshaper level is lagging behind so much.  Would it be better to make my next two levels Totemist and instead enter Totem Rager at 8th level?  I'm not sure, but I'm open to suggestions.

The Heroic Backstory of Grak the Blue Whirlwind

Coming soon...

So, there you have it. I know a Totemist diary has been done before.  But I wanted to show the merits of being a Dragonborn Water Orc, as opposed to a Skarn.  Also, BG seems severely lacking in the CO diary department, so I figured I'd give you guys something (hopefully) fun to read.  If interest is shown, I'll continue this thing for as long as the adventures continue, I'm not really sure how long that may be.  I'll do my best to make the sessions enjoyable to read.

Also, kudos to Sinfire Titan for his wonderful work on the Totemist, and Incarnum as a whole.

GAME SESSIONS
- Session 1
- Session 2
- Session 3 (to be played)
- Session 4 (to be played)
- Session 5 (to be played)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 06:27:32 PM by Smudgyhandsman »

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
Re: CO Diary: The Simple Life of a Totemist
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 05:11:38 PM »
Looking forward to reading more :)

So, why Ferocity over Whirling Frenzy?

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 07:35:40 PM »
I'm looking forward to this.

Why do you want Warblade? Look at your reasons. (i.e. Maneuvers.) Are they worth giving up another level of meldshaping? at this point, it's a maybe. If you are looking to pick up a stance (currently, your IL is 2.5, so WB 1 gives you 2nd level maneuvers.) higher than 1st level, you can't. If you want something like Punishing Stance (or Hunters Sense) then you might as well take it now. I would recommend waiting until level 9 to pick up Warblade 1, so you can get Iron Heart Surge, Absolute Steel Stance, along with a useless Steel Wind and a really good Moment of Perfect Mind. Steel Wind is really bad for a totemist, but you can use Martial Study to pick up another maneuver to ready, from any school.
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 08:10:20 PM »
So, why Ferocity over Whirling Frenzy?

Mostly because I forgot about Whirling Frenzy until you mentioned it.  :P 

I'll ask the DM if it's not too late to switch before we get too far into this game. Thanks for pointing it out!

Why do you want Warblade? Look at your reasons. (i.e. Maneuvers.) Are they worth giving up another level of meldshaping? at this point, it's a maybe. If you are looking to pick up a stance (currently, your IL is 2.5, so WB 1 gives you 2nd level maneuvers.) higher than 1st level, you can't. If you want something like Punishing Stance (or Hunters Sense) then you might as well take it now. I would recommend waiting until level 9 to pick up Warblade 1, so you can get Iron Heart Surge, Absolute Steel Stance, along with a useless Steel Wind and a really good Moment of Perfect Mind. Steel Wind is really bad for a totemist, but you can use Martial Study to pick up another maneuver to ready, from any school.

That's great advice, and I'm going to listen to it.  Once you read what happened in the first session you'll understand my eagerness to boost my will saves.  But should I just continue as a Totemist for the next two levels?  Or take another level in barbarian for the BAB and Uncanny Dodge (Which I could switch out for Improved Trip...)?  I'm thinking the former.  That second Chakra Bind is so damn tempting...

Anyways, I'll have the first session up in the next day or so.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 08:29:39 PM »
I'd personally go Totemist 7/ Barbarian 1 (unless you can qualify for Totem Rager before that, in which case go for it) and then go Warblade 1, then continue with what you were doing. What is the build going to look like?

Totemist 5/Barb 1/Totem Rager 2/Warblade 1/Totem Rager 8/ Totemist 3

I'm sure that Sinfire Titan, when he fixes he computer, will probably be able to help you loads more.
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 09:58:04 PM »
Alright, I think this is how it's gonna go.

Barbarian 1/ Totemist 6/ Totem Rager 2/ Warblade 1/ Totem Rager 8/ Totemist 2

Feats
6th: Cobalt Rage
9th: Expanded Soulmeld Capacity
12th: Double Chakra (Totem)
15th: Cobalt Charge
18th: Improved Soulmeld Capacity

Now, the game may never even get that high level, but we'll see. I was thinking about taking Power Attack and Leap Attack to increase my damage output, but that seems like it'd work better with Landshark Boots than it does with Girallon Arms.  If I can, I want to polymorph into something with even more natural attacks.  I could get someone to cast Alter Self on me to change to a Skarn while keeping my regular stats... I'll have to look around for that Alter Self list and find something with a bunch of natural attacks.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 10:41:26 PM »
Alter Self into a Troglodyte gives you +6 Nat Armour, along with 2 claws and a bite.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 02:06:57 AM »
Generic is right: UMD is the way to go if you want to rape the enemies and keep yourself above-par. Even CC ranks will boost you dramatically, and you can use one of your Ring slots to get an improvement to the skill itself. Wands of Righteous Might, Divine Power, and a number of other spells will let you do some real murder for their short duration. Also, a pair of Boots of Temporal Acceleration (or 3, but they are pricey) will let you pop off everything before the enemy has a chance to get set up.

Finally, I'd either finish up with Bear Warrior or more Warblade levels, unless you want more Soulmelds/Essentia. Bear Warrior is a massive bonus to your combat stats, while more Warblade levels ups your defensive capabilities. Warblade 3 is also a level where you gain a stance, which is nice.

The good news about Illiteracy is that you lose it when you enter Totem Rager (odd, huh? Same thing happens to Barbarians who enter Frenzied Berserker), so don't spend skill points unless it really starts becoming a problem.

A quick note: Dragon Tail isn't that good unless the DM applies a house rule to it. As written, it takes a standard action (not an attack action) to use it, which means you have to forgo all other attacks that round. If he doesn't House Rule it, switch it out for the Kraken Mantle if you want to grapple things or Totem Avatar if you need more HP.

There's a ring in Dragon Magic that may up your damage with your natural weapons (Fanged Ring, it's a Dweomered Dragonscale item). 10k, but if it does apply to all of your natural weapons it's a steal.

Oh, and ditch the Crossbow. If oyu think you'll be going up against Ranged enemies, Manticore Belt is far superior to a bow (at least until the magical enhancements start getting applied, but that's where the Amulet of Natural Attacks comes into play).

Fun Fact: Manticore Belt+Amulet of Natural Attacks=Death.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 02:08:26 AM »

Feats

Now, the game may never even get that high level, but we'll see. I was thinking about taking Power Attack and Leap Attack to increase my damage output, but that seems like it'd work better with Landshark Boots than it does with Girallon Arms.  If I can, I want to polymorph into something with even more natural attacks.  I could get someone to cast Alter Self on me to change to a Skarn while keeping my regular stats... I'll have to look around for that Alter Self list and find something with a bunch of natural attacks.

Those two are the same thing. They don't stack either, but Expanded Soulmeld Capacity can be taken twice.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 02:13:08 AM »
Actually, I agree with SfT. Go for Bear Warrior, and get more natural attacks while you are at it. Warblade 2 will not be worth it, since Warblades get their second stance at level 4.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 02:26:58 AM »
Actually, I agree with SfT. Go for Bear Warrior, and get more natural attacks while you are at it. Warblade 2 will not be worth it, since Warblades get their second stance at level 4.

Oh, that's right. Warblade had that as the annoying problem...

I keep forgetting it's 4th and not 3rd.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 02:32:21 AM »
And I haven't looked at MoI for a while, so I don't know the specifics of Totem Rager. It's a trade-off.

Is the last level of Totem Rager worth dropping for that second stance? Because, with smart maneuver choices, you should be able to pick up giants stance (+1 damage die size. to everything. that stacks with everything.), Hearing the Air, or +5' reach during your turn.

Disclaimer: Focusing on White Raven enough to get White Raven Tactics is not worth it. You'll lose all these other goodies.

Now, going for Absolute Steel Stance and Giant's Stance would be what I'd do, and its not only doable, but you only pick up Steel Wind as a crappy maneuver (well, Stone Bones, but you switch that out at level 4.)

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 02:53:47 PM »
In case you missed it above, this campaign was inspired by Norse sort of stuff, and is coincidentally set in a northern area.  Homebrew, so don't worry about spoilers.

Anywhooooo...

SESSION ONE

Grak begins his life as a PC freezing his ass off.  The game starts with our party caught in a blizzard, surprise surprise.  Everyone had the sense to buy winter clothing, so we don't immediately freeze to death.  Grak wants to build a shelter and tough it out, but the rest of these sissies don't trust his Survival skill enough to try.  Bah!  Fine, we continue to wander aimlessly through the storm.  Grak can survive these silly Fortitude saves!

Man, what were the chances?[spoiler]
So, we eventually come upon a crummy little hamlet, a figure it's better than being in the open.  We enter the tavern, considering the entire place seems to be built around it, and decide to wait out the storm.  We all buy rooms and meals, and at this point I notice that we have another member in our party.  Grak's confused.  Turns out the Warblade hired a patsy to basically run slower than us when we run away from the enemies.  Fair 'nuff.  We don't have to be faster than the enemy, just faster than the person next to us.

Grak hunches over his food while he eats and glares at everyone in the tavern.  While the others ask around and chase wenches, a scraggly old man approaches hisstool and starts talking to him.  Grak wonders why the hell anyone would want to talk to him, or even approach him, but the old coot mentions gold, so he listens.  Supposedly in this area some long dead bandit king was buried with his riches.  The old man explains that he's been searching for said gold for fifty years, and claims to finally know it's location.  Problem is, he's looks about thirty lungfuls of air away from death - this guy's ancient.

Bottom line.  He wants us to carry his saggy ass to the treasure, and we get to keep it.  He just wants his life to have some semblance of meaning.  Well, Grak doesn't see any problem with that.  Nice man wants to die happy, Grak gets gold.  He explains this to the other PCs.  They seem wary that the whole thing concerns a long "dead" bandit king.  But, the lure of gold catches them.  We all decide to leave in the morning, and Grak goes to bed.  Unbeknownst to Grak, the Wizard reveals himself to be Chaotic Evil... *sigh*  :nonono

The Wizard plans to burn down the tavern after his "charm" fails to woo any of the barmaids.  Instead he decides to wander the town, knock on doors, and find a lovely lady to seduce.  It turns out that this thorp has no shapely, fine-boned ladies!  Gosh, what're the chances!  There are ten houses in the whole damn place, you think at least one would have a pretty lass waiting to be swept away right?  Disgruntled, the Wizard retreats to his room and goes to sleep.  Grak senses conflict in the future...[/spoiler]

The group travels farther north for many miles, and the old man seems to be getting lost.  Someone decides to ask him just how he knows where to go.  He reveals a map that doesn't have the actual location, but details the landmarks surrounding its whereabouts.  Fine, as long as we can find the damn thing, Grak doesn't care how.  Eventually, the geezer tells us to stop, and claims this should be the area in which we find the entrance.  And who else but Grak rolls a natural 20 on his search check to find the trap door buried under the snow?  One of the other party members to be exact, and because Grak no smart smart, the guy gets a 21 while I get a 19.  Glory to the cleric, anonymity to Grak.  You just wait till combat buddy...

Speak "Friend" and Enter[spoiler]
The trap door reveals a ladder, which we promptly climb down, for about 100ft we guess.  Immediately the passage splits into three narrow halls.  Grak suggests left, but is overpowered by the others ridiculous need to go right for whatever reason, so right it is.  The passage soon comes to stairs climbing upwards, and the others deduce it to be another route into the complex.  With the cleric leading the way, we come upon a short hall with statues lining the walls in alcoves.  Rightly so, the party doesn't trust the alcoves, and because of it no one pays attention to the uninteresting floor. 

*CRASH* 

The Cleric fails a Reflex save with his mighty -1 modifier, and crumples through a hole in the floor.  Luckily, the pit isn't filled with spikes, and the statues don't fill the pit with acid, so he only takes 3d6 falling damage.  But, there are other problems. (Side Note: The Cleric decided to persists the spell Ring of Blades [SpC].  While an O.K. spell, with the hindsight we now have, it really isn't one you want to have last all day...)  The blades swirling around him bring into question how we will get a rope to him through the blades.  Luckily, through a closer reading of the spell, it doesn't say it deals damage to objects, only creatures.  Success!  Grak carries everyone else across the 15ft expanse with his +18 Jump checks (those wings from being dragonborn come in handy even before I can fly!).  Deeper we go into the bandit's cave.[/spoiler]

It begins to get colder, and as we turn the corner, we step into a windswept room filled with snow, with a small tunnel leading out the back.  Did I mention enemies? Yeah, Grak turns the corner and finds this room, which holds the snow, the tunnel, and a shitload wolves.  Awesome.

Walking (and Slaughtering) in a Winter Wonderland[spoiler]
So, combat begins, and the Wizard (with his Improved Initiative, hummingbird familiar, and high Dex) goes first.  He drops a Glitterdust on four of 'em, blinding three.  He also identifies one of the to be a Winter Wolf, while two others a Worgs.  Thankfully, the Winter Wolf and one the Worgs are now blind as bats, so the Wizard is satisfied.  However, the wolves aren't so happy about it, and they move forward to attack.  The room is pretty small, the Cleric can't even fit in with his blades.  The Warblade figures he can handle the blinded Winter Wolf with his 10ft reach, so Grak charges the not-blind Worg who stepped out of the sparkly cloud.  The Worg then proceeds to die after Grak criticals him with one of his claws and finishs up with two others.

The Winter Wolf isn't so keen on being blind, so he hits the Warblade and the Wizard with his breath weapon for some damage, but beyond that can't do much.  Grak charges the other Worg and slays it even as the Warblade trips the Winter Wolf and proceeds to make it his bitch.  Beyond this it's the cleanup of a few remaining wolves, none of which have the audacity to roll high enough to hit Grak's AC.[/spoiler]

Grak forges his way into the tunnel beyond, only to be halted by the large amounts of snow filling it.  Deciding it's pointless to continue, Grak heads back and tells the others it's blocked off.  Yet again, we seem to have another member in our party, and Grak has to wonder how he does not notice these things.  But the Cleric explains he's animated one of the Worgs into a zombie so it can lead the way and soak up damage from traps.  Alright, as long as Grak doesn't have to deal with the traps, he's fine with it.  We tie a rope around it and drag it across the pit, and make our way back to the three passageways.  It's left this time, and left again as the hallway splits into two even narrower ones (we're all squeezing now).  The cleric and his zombie pal turn the corner into a 10ftx10ft room and get ambushed by what?  Why none other than a Gibbering Mouther of course!

Foes can be the Greatest Friends[spoiler]
This by far was my favorite combat, though I didn't even get to fight the blob.  The wizard starts but is in the back and can't really do much of anything.  The cleric rolls well, and his blades begin to slice into the thing, and his wolf as well...  But they don't do much, considering each has DR 5/Bludgeoning.  Come the Gibbering Mouther, and it starts to gibber (really what else would it do?).  This is where it gets fun, DC 13 Will saves all around!  Grak stands around muttering insanely, the Warblade's henchman runs for his life.  I believe the Wizard surprisingly enough ran as well, though I don't recall...

Anyways, didn't matter, because the Gibbering Mouther rolls surprisingly well against the cleric's AC and proceeds to engulf the poor bastard.  Now, the SRD provides a different description from the one in the Monster Manual, this thing's a lot more deadly than one would think.  After hitting with a bite, it grapples on a free action, if it wins the grapple check, the person take bite damage again and 1 point of Constitution damage.  If three or more mouths hit (it has 6), the person takes a DC 14 Reflex save or becomes engulfed, allowing for 12 bite attacks a round while they can't retaliate in any coherent fashion.  Did I mention the six bites attacks on the outside become free to attack and engulf another person while the mouths on the inside can still tear apart the poor soul inside?  Yeesh, the Cleric is fucked.

The Zombie Worg continues to nip away at the mouther while the Warblade steps up to attack.  The Wizard and henchman sheepishly return, while Grak fails another Will save and continues to babble like a moron.  The old man cowers, even though he passed his save fine, but he's old so it makes sense.  The Warblade can't do much to trip the aberration, and the spiked chain does piercing damage, so again, not much happens to the Gibbering Mouther.  The Warblade then pretty much lies down and accepts death as he rolls terribly on his grapple checks (the GB only has a +3 modifier, geez!).  So, it looks like it's time for Grak to step up and save the day, like my characters always do.

After failing his Will save for the third time, Grak gets mad, and attacks the person nearest to him.  This just so happens to be the 90 year old man.  Grak takes a 5ft step towards him and prepares to full attack, but he doesn't even need more than one.  Roll the die, natural 20.  Roll to confirm... I really don't even have to do I?  Grak tears the poor bastard completely in half.  So much for his dreams of seeing the treasure...

So, while the Cleric and Warblade have their lives sucked away, while the Zombie continues to stand in the Ring of Blades and nip at the Gibbering Mouther.  To everyone surprise and relief, it dies.  The Zombie's bite attack does bludgeoning damage, so it basically won the entire encounter.  Foes certainly can be the greatest friends.[/spoiler]

The Cleric and Warblade are both suffering from some pretty debilitating Con damage, so we... decide to press on? Alright, Grak's untouched, so on we go.  There's a narrow passage leading out of the room, and Cleric decides to head through it with his Zombie, even though we had decided to go back to the plit in the passage and see what was on the right.  He passes through two swinging axe traps with his zombie, to find a door at the end of the passage.  Unfortunately, it's been painted there, and it was all for naught.  The Cleric heals up and starts to head back through, as the Warblade readies action to sunder the traps as they go off.

To the right was a small room with nothing in it except a frozen floor with a man trapped within it.  We dig him out, but there's nothing on him except average stuff.  We suddenly become wary of why there's a man in the ice, and decide to search the room.  But nothing is found, and we decide this is as good a place as any to take a rest.  The cleric animates the frozen guy too.  The next day, we head back to the beginning of the dungeon and take the middle path, seeing as that's the only other way we haven't gone.  After some stair climbing and ducking under spears that shoot out of more statues (never trust statues!), we open a door to find what?  Why more foes of course!  Time for Grak to shine once again.

Seriously, Grak's a Blue Whirlwind[spoiler]
These wolves just never end!  Two more worgs, a bunch of wolves, and a barghest (which we later learn was a greater barghest) to top it off!  Alright, time to dance.  But not before the Wizard drops a Web on the whole damn bunch.  Every single one except one of the wolves and the barghest is immobilized.  Way to single handedly win the encounter Wizard!  But it isn't so, as the barghest Dimension Doors out of there and proceeds to attack.  The Warblade attempts a trip, but with the barghest's strength, size, and quadrupedness, he fails.  Grak, being the simple man that he is, decides raging and charging is the best option, and does so (hitting with every attack I might add).  He does 50 something damage to the thing, and is content knowing that it will die next turn.

Everyone else tries to damage the barghest, but they can't get past it's DR 10/Magic.  The barghest tries a Crushing Despair on us all, but rolls terribly on his concentration check.  The Warblade shows his worth and trips the thing, and at this point the battle's over.  Grak curb stomps the greater barghest, and whips out his bow to start picking off the worgs and wolves.  The Warblade can reach with his chain, and there's nothing the wolves can do to make the DC 20 Str checks to break free.  The Cleric doesn't do much of anything at all, I think he now sees that persisting Ring of Blades might not be worth it.
[/spoiler]

At this point we decide to stop, as people have work in the morning, and it's late.  I'm looking forward to session two.

THINGS THAT WORKED: Girallon Arms are the shit, but you all already knew that.  Wormtail Belt was actually quite useful.  I never took one point of damage the entire session, and the +2 Natural Armor factored into that.  Rage Claws are nice, but I'm wondering if I even really need them, considering I already have so much health as it is.  Still, it's a comfort.  Being a Dragonborn Water Orc is great, though I do want more attacks...  I did out the math, and with the stats I have, I'd be doing an average of 8 more damage if I were a Skarn.  But I like the extra HP and 26 Strength when I rage.  I can always alter self into a Skarn later on, though Troglodyte is looking more tempting at the moment.  Oh, and having wings is handy, I can't wait until I can fully utilize them.

THINGS THAT NEED WORK: Will save, will save, will save.  I gotta get a way to boost that, because a +2 isn't all that much.  Also, I need to work on not killing old defenseless men.  The bow is nice, but Manticore Belt does seem the better option.  I'm thinking I might switch out Rage Claws for Blink Shirt, and Dragon Tail for somethin' else if the DM shoots it down.

QUESTIONS:
1. Can you change what chakra you have bound at any given time, or does that stick once you've done it at the beginning of the day?
2. What's a Gibbering Mouthe doing living with a bunch of wolves?
3. Was the formatting confusing?  I tried to make it easy on the eyes. 
4. Lastly, was this diary entry too long?  I feel like it might have been...

Session two will be posted once the DM gets around to making more of his game.  Probably within the next week.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 03:24:24 PM »
Blink Shirt is a winner. Rageclaws are wonderful for low level totemists, or for totemists without 13 HP/level. I doubt you'll need them.

the Dragon Tail oversight is an easy and logical house rule. If won't let you do it, I would just pick up blink shirt instead. But get blink shirt. DO IT!!

Gibbering Mouthers are my favourite encounters. I've done TPKs with 2 of them against a party of 4 level 3s. It was crazy silly. If you want better will saves, I reccomend just a Cloak of Resistance +3 or something. Cheap, easy and effective.

Besides, next level, assuming no multiclasses, doesn't that will save go up an extra point?

Eldariel

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2009, 04:44:03 PM »
Woo, a Gibbering Mouther! Love those things, although the SRD changes are errata, not a mistake and thus you fought what's a harder version of the thing (especially because of the mouths doing Con-damage just with successful Grapple-checks; makes failing them a much more dire a problem).

That said, the MM1 version is really better - the only reason it got changed is because WoTC didn't want to bother adding "Engulf" to the glossary for one creature. It is an actual threat to creatures with Grapple-check that beats +3 in its MM1 guise (because it just takes one bad roll for the Improved Grab to succeed, dealing the Con damage).

I'd suggest Steadfast Determination for your Will-saves if it wasn't for the fact that you can't really spare the feats. As it stands, your best bet seems to be just to hang in there until you get the Warblade-level. If you use retraining-rules, you could of course take it now and then retrain the order (for higher level maneuvers) once you reach level 9. Pity with the Rage, actually; that +2 Morale wouldn't hurt at all right now.

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2009, 05:40:43 PM »
I'll probably be buying something that boosts my UMD skill as soon as I can.  Divine Power, Righteous Might, Girallon's Blessing, they're all just begging to be put on my character.  As it is, I could always buy a Ring of the Diamond Mind to net me Moment of Perfect Mind early.  It is only 3,000 gold.  Then I can just choose other maneuvers once I get that Warblade level.  Besides, I don't have much else that I need to spend my skill points on other than UMD and Concentration once I meet the requirements for Totem Rager.

Blink Shirt is a winner. Rageclaws are wonderful for low level totemists, or for totemists without 13 HP/level. I doubt you'll need them.

the Dragon Tail oversight is an easy and logical house rule. If won't let you do it, I would just pick up blink shirt instead. But get blink shirt. DO IT!!

Blink shirt definitely seems like the soulmeld I'll be switching Rage Claws for, regardless of how nice the claws are.  Out of all the characters I've ever played, only two have died, so I feel the teleportation will have more effect.

I could also switch out the Crystal of Arrow Deflection I have for a Crystal of Mind Cloaking to boost my Will save by +1.  Wouldn't hurt.

I'd suggest Steadfast Determination for your Will-saves if it wasn't for the fact that you can't really spare the feats. As it stands, your best bet seems to be just to hang in there until you get the Warblade-level. If you use retraining-rules, you could of course take it now and then retrain the order (for higher level maneuvers) once you reach level 9. Pity with the Rage, actually; that +2 Morale wouldn't hurt at all right now.

My group is conservative when it comes to creating characters, no flaws, no retraining.  It sucks cause I could really use some feats right now.

It's always hard to choose which rage to get, because they all have their own special little applications.

Feats

Those two are the same thing. They don't stack either, but Expanded Soulmeld Capacity can be taken twice.

Oops, my bad.  I meant Expanded Soulmeld Capacity and Improved Essentia Capacity.  One affects soulmelds, the other feats.  But it's not like I'll be getting to 18th level anytime soon anyways.

Anyone have an answer to my chakra bind question? I can't find the ruling on it in the book, so I'm not really sure about it.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2009, 02:04:02 AM »
You shape soulmelds at the beginning of the day, and I believe that is when you bind them also.

The totemist gets around this on his/her totem bind at level 8, allowing him/her to switch a bind 1/day. Thus, it would be logical to assume the above.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2009, 02:33:59 PM »
Hey smudgy you could always go the Sapphire Hierarch route.

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2009, 03:28:43 PM »
Hey smudgy you could always go the Sapphire Hierarch route.

Looking at the class now, I really do want to.  But the mental stats that Grak has, I'm not sure it's worth it, or if I can meet the requirements in any feasible way.  Besides, If I did go casting, that would invalidate my rages.  But if this character ever dies, I know what I'm making next.  ;)

In other news, the next session will be up tomorrow.  The Warblade's getting cranky about how good I am, I'll tell you that.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2009, 03:35:06 PM »
The Warblade can suck it. Admittedly, he should be getting better than you pretty quick, assuming he can make optimized choices for maneuvers.