Author Topic: A Question regarding Swift Actions...  (Read 1921 times)

Hime~Finchy

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
A Question regarding Swift Actions...
« on: June 25, 2009, 06:41:18 PM »
We recently had a debate in our gaming group, and currently are in the middle of the session, but...

Similar to how a Standard Action can become a move action, can a Move Action become a Swift action, so someone can perform 2 swift actions and 1 standard?

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: A Question regarding Swift Actions...
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 06:51:18 PM »
according to the SRD no you can't convert anything to a swift action. More specifically it doesn't say you can but doesn't say you can't either.

While i think you could convert a move action to a swift action, it wouldn't do you any good as you can only take 1 swift action a round.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

ErhnamDJ

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 07:22:16 PM »

Nope. Swift actions are a precious commodity (quickened spells).

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 08:25:06 PM »
I've houseruled that standard actions can be used in the place of swift actions, but it isn't official.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 08:29:41 PM »
I thought Quickened Spells where a free action only usable once per turn?
There's an obvious errata/update around that I'm not aware of? (quite plausible).
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 08:43:47 PM »
There's an obvious errata/update around that I'm not aware of? (quite plausible).

That was the definition prior to the invention of the swift action. Now, it has been clarified (in multiple sources - spell compendium should be the latest) that casting a quickened spell is a swift action.
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 08:47:13 PM »
Thanks. How on earth did I miss that?
Ah well, no harm done, I haven't made that misstake in any actual game yet.
Could have something to do with me never having played above level 6...
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Eldariel

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 05:09:51 AM »

That was the definition prior to the invention of the swift action. Now, it has been clarified (in multiple sources - spell compendium should be the latest) that casting a quickened spell is a swift action.

It's worth noting though that you're still limited to 1 Quickened Spell/turn no matter how many swift actions you have (save for Multispell which specifically overcomes this limitation, but that's an epic feat). Of course, this isn't the case with Arcane Spellsurge (which pretty much confirms that by RAW, no conversion can't happen, although allowing Standard > Swift conversion is no problem), but it does mean allowing Move > Swift conversion is no problem in a Core-environment (allows spell trigger activations, and immediate action followed by spell+quickened spell next turn, and that's about it).
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 05:11:31 AM by Eldariel »