Author Topic: Indestructo-Elan  (Read 3210 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Indestructo-Elan
« on: June 22, 2009, 06:39:05 PM »
Sure, it might not be too optimal, but I wanted to make a build centred around these feats:
Elan Resilience, Enhanced
Elan Resistance, Enhanced
Elan Retainment

I was thinking of a psychic warrior base, using vigor/share pain with a psicrystal, with heavy armour and the Deflective Armour feat. Anything else that I could use to make him more durable? Roll With It perhaps?
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Indestructo-Elan
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 06:50:00 PM »
Give him as many power points as you can; also, beef up his Hide skill, and take chameleon and the Darkstalker feat (can't hit what you can't see).

Furthermore, grab greater concealing amorpha as soon as you're able, because then you will literally be unable to be targeted by any effect that doesn't specifically affect an AoE or that requires an attack roll (and you still get the miss-chance).

Metamorphosis and the Metamorphic Transfer feat (and Assume Supernatural Ability, from Savage Species) will grant you things like the pixie's at-will improved invisibility. You can also use metamorphosis on your psicrystal for some interesting means of self-defense, such as turning it into a giant crawling hamster-ball that shields you from harm (you can do something similar with psionic minor creation, by the way, though it won't be animate).
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 09:57:09 PM »
Do it as a Wilder. You get way more PP as a Wilder, so you can use those tricks more often. As a psychic warrior, you'll be burning through your short supply of PP fast enough as-is, if you're using Linked Power correctly.

Possibly better as a Psion/Slayer/Elocator with Practiced Manifester.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 07:20:42 AM »
If only there were a ToB/Psionic theurgic class...

Psions and Wilders have the same amount of PP and Wild Surge only works on powers not racial abilities. Further more, Elans have a -2 penalty to charisma, which is what Wilders use. So what did you mean woodenbandman about a Wilder being a better choice since it gives more PP?

The Sangehirn totally comes to mind. Full manifester progression (more pp!) and it gives out DR 3/- & Fast Healing 3. Looks useful for what you want.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 12:29:06 PM »
You know what would be awesome? An elan gestalt psion/crusader. Share pain with your psicrystal and use resilience on your delayed damage pool.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

telehax

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 12:48:06 PM »
Make sure you can tank for your party as well, being nigh indestructible is all well and good, but if the rest of your party dies you still lose.

Whilst other classes do this via making it hard to reach allies, you can simply use share pain. In addition, use Dampen Power to block spell damage (CPsi) and Energy Adaptation to block elemental damage.

See if you can get your DM to allow a second psicrystal via a psionic version of the Extra Familiar feat, this will let you go from 1pp to 10hp to 1pp to 15hp. Alternatively try getting your DM to allow a symbiont's share spells to work with psionics.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 01:26:00 PM »
Use the Psycarnum trick. 1/round immunity to HP damage.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 02:08:30 PM »
Get a quiver of fifty +1 manifesting arrows.  That should be enough PP that you don't have to spend much from your own pool on powers.

:p
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 03:06:32 PM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 02:11:48 PM »
Not only do those hold only 7pp each and you can't spend pp from multiple sources on one thing, that's also horribly broken TO and nobody will allow it anyway.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 03:06:08 PM »
Not only do those hold only 7pp each and you can't spend pp from multiple sources on one thing, that's also horribly broken TO and nobody will allow it anyway.

Fair enough.  Limit it to a single +1 manifesting arrow, keeping it as an emergency reserve.

I can't remember... do elans still qualify as human?  If so, troll blooded adds greatly to resilience (if a bit feat intensive)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 03:08:58 PM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Planetouched Handbook

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 03:42:57 PM »
Fair enough.  Limit it to a single +1 manifesting arrow, keeping it as an emergency reserve.

I can't remember... do elans still qualify as human?  If so, troll blooded adds greatly to resilience (if a bit feat intensive)

Guess not, since Elans are Aberrations (or else King of Smack would cry over the lack of Rapidstrike ;))

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 03:45:59 PM »
I am very sad that Elans can't be (psionic) Renegade Mastermakers due to type restrictions. That would have been an easy way to get PP & HP.

Take the Human Heritage feat and enter a psionically-reflavored Renegade Mastermaker class from Magic of Eberron. I don't remember the exact trick but with the 7th level ability and using the rules that any magic/psionic item can be made as a warforged component, you can get a ridiculous number of hit points (and power points if you embed the right thing).

The original thread on Gleemax was whitescreened, so I can't tell you what the "right thing" to embed for power points is.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 04:16:40 PM by skydragonknight »
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2009, 06:55:32 PM »
You know, I wonder if the Crusader's damage buffer wouldn't do wonders for soaking it all after the fact with a well placed Vigor(doubletapped for the temp hp, and the free soak pp).

The problem is getting it in at a significant level.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2009, 08:30:44 PM »
I am very sad that Elans can't be (psionic) Renegade Mastermakers due to type restrictions. That would have been an easy way to get PP & HP.

Take the Human Heritage feat and enter a psionically-reflavored Renegade Mastermaker class from Magic of Eberron. I don't remember the exact trick but with the 7th level ability and using the rules that any magic/psionic item can be made as a warforged component, you can get a ridiculous number of hit points (and power points if you embed the right thing).

The original thread on Gleemax was whitescreened, so I can't tell you what the "right thing" to embed for power points is.

There's some sort of 500 gp component that adds 1pp.  Every component you add gives one hp, and all magic items can be components.  For ridiculous hp, embed psionic +1 skill shards at 10 gp a pop.
Planetouched Handbook