Author Topic: Decomposing Hank's Power/Energy Bow  (Read 6901 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Decomposing Hank's Power/Energy Bow
« on: June 21, 2009, 12:49:36 AM »
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Decomposing Hank's Power/Energy Bow
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 01:08:24 AM »
The animated series items are notoriously underpriced.  The energy bow isn't the worst offender, either. 

There's a hat that lets you waive all material components under 1000 gp in there as well.

Since it's a unique item, you can't really decompose it.  You could try paying the difference between your bow prices, and swapping in the Energy bow's stats.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 01:13:58 AM »
You're talking about Presto's hat. Yeah, I noticed that too.

That's kind of what I'm already trying to do. It's already got +2 Force, and is a +1 composite longbow with two +1 abilities, for a total of +5. The Illuminating aspect of it is no problem for me to afford, but the Power Shot and 2d6 is what's bugging me. I'm not terribly worried about the Power Shot feat being part of the bow, but that extra damage would come in very handy. I'm considering just adding a +1 frost, flaming, and/or shock to it because they'll be 1d6 force as well thanks to the +2 ability, but still.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 01:19:25 AM »
Do the MIC item combining rules apply to this circumstance?  They might, but I can't recall...
Planetouched Handbook

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 01:20:23 AM »
Do the MIC item combining rules apply to this circumstance?  They might, but I can't recall...
Combining rules?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 03:46:09 AM »
Apparently adding a feat is only a +1 bonus, like Mighty Cleaving, or Keen vs Improved Critical. So Hank's bow has yet another +1 for Power Shot. It's a neat little feat. It's like Power Attack, but doesn't work against constructs and undead. Still can't figure out where the 2d6 comes into play though.

So far it's a +5 weapon with +500 for Illuminating, and minimum of +400 for being a composite longbow.

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 02:02:21 PM »
Simplest answer?  Somebody involved with putting out the cartoon DVD said "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if we had the official D&D stats for this stuff?"  They called up WotC and said, "Hey, can we stick game stats for the items into the package?"  WotC said, "Sure, go ahead." 

They did so.  Chances are there was no read-behind or playtesting of any kind; after all, this wasn't a book or a supplement that was going to make anyone any money.  It was just a little extra insert for an existing non-WotC product.  Chances are, someone quickly typed up some stats and that was that. 

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 03:16:58 PM »
Simplest answer?  Somebody involved with putting out the cartoon DVD said "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if we had the official D&D stats for this stuff?"  They called up WotC and said, "Hey, can we stick game stats for the items into the package?"  WotC said, "Sure, go ahead." 

They did so.  Chances are there was no read-behind or playtesting of any kind; after all, this wasn't a book or a supplement that was going to make anyone any money.  It was just a little extra insert for an existing non-WotC product.  Chances are, someone quickly typed up some stats and that was that. 

Actually, they skipped wasting valuable time of people putting out the product, and outsourced it to their ten-year old kids.
Planetouched Handbook