Author Topic: Bard build...  (Read 2298 times)

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Bard build...
« on: June 19, 2009, 11:00:28 AM »
I am maybe going to play in a new campaign later, and I think I'll be a Bard.
The campaign will probably require all players to be Arcane, and since we only are 3 players, I think I'll be the only skillmonkey (and healer), unless of course someone wants to be a Spellthief or something...

To make the campaign easier to play, we are mostly going to use the books we have to everything, which is:
- Core
- SpC
- CArc
- CMage
- PHB2
- UA

The reason to that is that then it would be less to keep track of from books we don't have/only have on a computer...
We are still allowed to use 3 things in the whole character from other books (not sure about PrCs yet)...

For the Bard I was going to make I want to use the Bardic Knack ACF...
I was also thinking of taking Lyric Thaumaturge and maybe 1-3 levels of Nightmare Spinner...

We are going to start at level 1...

The builds I have thought of so far is (but I am really open to other suggestions)(LT is Lyric Thaumaturge and NmS is Nightmare Spinner):
- Bard 6/ LT 1/ NmS 1/ Bard +3/ LT +9
- Bard 6/ LT 3/ Bard +3/ LT +7/ ?1
- Bard 6/ LT 1/ NmS 1/ Bard +2-3/ NmS +1-2/ LT +7-9
- Bard 6/ LT 3/ Bard +3/ LT +3/6/ Bard +2/5
- Bard 20

I also need help with skills (not so much here), feats, spells, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Hallack

• Hong Kong
Re: Bard build...
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 11:52:37 AM »
Any idea what the other characters will be? 

When I first read your post I was thinking too bad no Tome of Battle as a song of White Raven feated Bard/crusader or warblade would have given a nice combo.  Crusader version could even provide healing while singing away providing Song buffs. :/

Now, let me get back to the topic within the limits you have proposed... *wanders off to look up few things in listed sources*
Placeholder - T'tosc

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 12:02:26 PM »
There isn't no ToB, its just max three things from other books...

Still, I am going to DM the game if it is going to start, and I have already found out a while ago that DMing + ToB char = Really slow game...

EDIT: And, BTW, you asked what the other characters is going to be...

I'll ban Dread Necro because it gives me a headache because of all the minions, and Wizards doesn't fit in the adventure I am planning, which would be the other two players top choices which makes it hard to me to predict what they are going to be, so no, I don't know...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 12:04:34 PM by bogsnes »

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 12:16:30 PM »
Well, at first glance with the prime materials listed I think that caster/prestige Bard might be interesting.

In particular perhaps a Beguiler going into prestige bard for better continued spell progression and maintaining that skill monkey status.  Prestige Bard would also give expanded spell list that would add nicely to the Beguilers and still be flavorfuly consistent.

Just noticed Beguiler does not have Perform on it's huge list of skills :(
Placeholder - T'tosc

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 12:18:44 PM »
In addition, I want to be a Bard because of that, well, it is a Bard...

Because of that I just want to be the Bard base class...

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 12:51:39 PM »
Hehe, okay I'm tossing out the not actually a bard line of thoughts then.
Placeholder - T'tosc

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 04:49:52 PM »
What do you think you'd want to be doing most in combat? You could use Bardic music to buff your allies, but with only three PCs it might be better if you can step into the fray. Also, what level do you think you'll get up to? If it's high (level 15+) you will want to check out the Sublime Chord prestige class.

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 05:45:11 PM »
What do you think you'd want to be doing most in combat? You could use Bardic music to buff your allies, but with only three PCs it might be better if you can step into the fray. Also, what level do you think you'll get up to? If it's high (level 15+) you will want to check out the Sublime Chord prestige class.

I don't know how high level we'll get, but I guess 10-15...

I don't want to be a Sublime Chord, though...

Of some reason I want to be bard because of that they have only up to 6th level spells...

I think I'll want to be able to sing to buff my allies, but that won't be the main focus...
I want to have okay/good skills to, to help as a skillmonkey...
Melee combat isn't very important, but I want to be able to do it at least decently...
Spells is a bit more important than the rest, though... I want to have lots of cool spells to send on my enemies/allies/etc.

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 10:19:24 AM »
I also figured out that I actually not am sure about what class I want to be...

But it is either Bard or Spellthief... (I just like to be a skillmonkey)

If I pick Spellthief I am not sure what I'll do as there isn't that many that has written much about it...

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 11:46:14 AM »
Bardic Knack is great, but you want as many Bard levels as you can to make use of it.
I recommend
Bard 10/Sublime Chord 10
or
Bard 9/Virtuoso 1/Sublime Chord 1/Virtuoso +9

If you don't want to be a SC, straight Bard 20 works really well.
If you want to focus on spells, Bard 6/LT 10 is fine but you lose out on Bardic music.

I recommend against Nightmare Spinner - it's rarely worth it (except a one-level dip to top a build).

You will find feats in the Bard Handbook. Off the top of my head: Melodic Casting (CM) ; then Song of the Heart (ECS), Words of Creation (BoED), Jack of All Trades (CAdv)... are from books not on your list.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 09:52:02 AM »

Of some reason I want to be bard because of that they have only up to 6th level spells...

I think I'll want to be able to sing to buff my allies, but that won't be the main focus...
Melee combat isn't very important, but I want to be able to do it at least decently...
 Spells is a bit more important than the rest, though...I want to have lots of cool spells to send on my enemies/allies/etc.

So you want to have good spellcasting but don't want the PrC that's best for casting?  :twitch
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 10:03:59 AM »

Spells is a bit more important than the rest, though...I want to have lots of cool spells to send on my enemies/allies/etc.

So you want to have good spellcasting but don't want the PrC that's best for casting?  :twitch

Exactly...

But still, I have decided to be a Spellthief now...

And as I wrote on 339:

I need to know what to do to get a better spellthief...
The guide seems a bit outdated (as in, doesn't use SpC, for example)

Skills isn't a very big problem now, and feats are mostly planned, but I am really unsure of what my 6th level feat is going to be (maybe pract. spellcaster?)
Spells, well, I am not sure of what to pick of those...

Also, there are very many good feats I don't qualify to before level 9/12, and I don't know what order to take them in...

9: Elusive Target/Imp TWF/Staggering Strike?
12: Elusive Target/Imp TWF/Staggering Strike/Arcane Strike?
15: Elusive Target/Imp TWF/Staggering Strike/Arcane Strike?
18: Elusive Target/Imp TWF/Staggering Strike/Arcane Strike?

Also, according to JaronK's Tier system for classes, a Spellthief is rated as Tier 4, what to do to bump it to tier 3?