Author Topic: Troll Optimization [not that kind of troll the one from the MM1]  (Read 6108 times)

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Troll Optimization [not that kind of troll the one from the MM1]
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2009, 09:40:30 PM »
Check the Evolved Undead template, in Libris Mortis. It has fast healing 3, plus a bunch of other really nice goodies, and it's only worth +1 LA.

Maybe you could have a 'troll template' that has +4 Str, +2 Con, -2 Int, and -2 Cha, Large size, and fast healing (and the giant type), and leave it at that for +1 LA. Could work.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2009, 07:59:52 AM »
Maybe you can work with the Troll racial progression from Savage Species?
And replace the levels where you gain a racial HD with a class HD instead?

Might give you some more HD to work with at the moment...
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2009, 08:58:03 AM »

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2009, 10:41:49 AM »
Fireball is an issue at lvl 5 and later. If the first HD is barbarian, the character can easily have 20+ hp.

That said, OP should try to persuade his DM to allow him to get the second HD sooner. Something like this perhaps (first column = how normal characters level; second column = troll)
1 1
4 2
7 3
9 4
10 5

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2009, 11:26:56 AM »
Fireball is an issue at lvl 5 and later. If the first HD is barbarian, the character can easily have 20+ hp.

That said, OP should try to persuade his DM to allow him to get the second HD sooner. Something like this perhaps (first column = how normal characters level; second column = troll)
1 1
4 2
7 3
9 4
10 5
That's basically what I meant when I suggested looking into Savage Species :)
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2009, 11:44:45 AM »

Perhaps i'll look into the template and we can say that i got it since they party met the character, he was dumb as shit the first time we met him.  I think what i might do is make a progression for it much like the savage species one. i get 6hd of giant and over those 6hd gain all the benefits as psudo class features. Unlike the progression this would be without blank levels that don't gain HD, so at lvl 7 i would take a level in a real class. 

How would the SLA work? I don't have Xen'Drik but i know the DM does. If i can pick anything for the SLA then perhaps a cleric buff or some nasty blast spell like horrid wilting.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2009, 04:40:00 PM »

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2009, 04:59:21 PM »
I would ask the DM if I can build a character with similar abilities to a troll (such as a feral half-minotaur water orc with the Troll-Blooded and Tireless feats) and say it's a troll.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 05:02:10 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2009, 05:21:33 PM »
well he is going to work with me on it since it is him asking me to play the now former NPC.  I just need to keep with the personality and limited capabilities we have already seen in game (he was pretty dumb and trashed like 30 goblins by himself and ate the former goblin king he was working for).

- Giant type
- Size large or powerful build (granting reach)
- Regeneration  (1/4 level max 5 and normal damage from fire and acid??)
- Bonus to physical stats and penalty to mental stats (+6 str & con, -4 int & cha)
- Scent?
- natural armor (+1/4 level max 5)
- darkvision and lowlight vision (maybe ask about getting old school infra vision)

Would you say that is +2 or +3 LA worthy. I was trying to distill the key components of a Troll down to a minimalist representation and put what i could on a sliding scale based on level.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2009, 06:01:04 PM »
Prime's advice is good for that.  I think you get everything you want with that...

Let's see. 
Giant type: Check
Large size: check
Improved grab: check (with pounce!)
Bonuses to physical/penalties to mental: check
AC: +6 natural armor
Low light/darkvision - check
Regeneration 1 and fast healing 3.

Should be enough.  I think it's something like LA +2 or +3, depending on what half-minotaur is.

Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Madwand

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2009, 06:31:00 PM »
well he is going to work with me on it since it is him asking me to play the now former NPC.  I just need to keep with the personality and limited capabilities we have already seen in game (he was pretty dumb and trashed like 30 goblins by himself and ate the former goblin king he was working for).

- Giant type
- Bonus to physical stats and penalty to mental stats (+6 str & con, -4 int & cha)
- Scent?
- darkvision and lowlight vision (maybe ask about getting old school infra vision)

Would you say that is +2 or +3 LA worthy. I was trying to distill the key components of a Troll down to a minimalist representation and put what i could on a sliding scale based on level.

Could also try a Feral half-giant. That has pretty much everything you need for +2 LA, and is appropriately powerful. Use LA buyoff.

Half-troll template is in Fiend Folio. It's LA +4 though. Feral half-giant is much better.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2009, 07:06:01 PM »

- Giant type
- Scent?

Could also try a Feral half-giant. That has pretty much everything you need for +2 LA, and is appropriately powerful. Use LA buyoff.

Half-troll template is in Fiend Folio. It's LA +4 though. Feral half-giant is much better.

we were looking at half troll first but decided it gave up way too much for only 1 LA. Where is half giant from?
I think i'll build something based off of what Prime suggested and what you already mentioned.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2009, 07:35:16 PM »
He's talking about the Half-Troll template from the Fiend Folio. The one in Dragon Mag is the one that gives way too much for just a +1 LA.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2009, 07:36:23 PM »
Half-giant is XPH and SRD.

Handy Links

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2009, 11:34:59 AM »
Half-giant is XPH and SRD.
:facepalm

I knew that i really did. For whatever reason i had it set in my head that it would be a template from somewhere rather than you know a race i had run as player and DM multiple times.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 12:11:24 PM by archangel.arcanis »

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2009, 04:16:50 PM »
ok here is the plan.
Feral half giant Psi warrior. Getting a free background feat to use for tireless and taking Trollblooded for the first level feat.

With that as the base i'm probably going to focus on claw attacks and metaphysical claw to enhance them.  As the party tank I will be looking at getting a psicrystal and vigor/share pain to ensure i am as close to immortal as possible but don't know if it will be worth the feat since i'm already so hard to kill.

So in short i'm looking for suggested feats and powers right now. I'll have stats after tomorrow.

edit: should i go wilder instead? I Loose Meta. claw but that can be grabbed with a feat and i get tons more PP and could go into slayer without missing anything i really want. Plus i could get Form of Doom before a strait PW could. (that is the power i have been wanting to use for a while and never could get to it)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 04:20:34 PM by archangel.arcanis »

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2009, 04:42:13 PM »
Doesn't trollblooded give you fast healing? Doesn't feral have fast healing already?

Wilders are, in my experience, a fine class as long as you make copious use of Expanded knowledge and Metamorphic Transfer. They can make a fine pretty much anything. Never pick a power that doesn't augment, unless it's metamorphosis. If only metamorphosis had greater metamorphosis as an augment ability (I've never understood why psionics ever made a greater ANYTHING power... isn't that the point of psionics?). =/

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2009, 04:46:22 PM »
Half-Giant is of the Giant type. Feral can only be applied to Humanoids and Monstrous Humanoids.

Maybe go with a Feral Goliath instead?

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2009, 05:43:17 PM »
well thats what i get for not double checking my stuff. DM probably will let me get away with it but i'll check Goliath too.