Author Topic: Check this out  (Read 4093 times)

Jvirtue55

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Check this out
« on: May 18, 2009, 01:56:19 PM »
This seems like a great website and very easy to use for advancing creatures

http://www.monsteradvancer.com/

Thought it would be helpful for alot of DMs on here having to advance creatures

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
Re: Check this out
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 03:12:29 PM »
I liked the random generator.

I can't even remember the list of templates it threw on a dretch to make it CR10 :), and I just looked at it a minute ago.

Jvirtue55

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 03:15:55 PM »
If you guys see flaws email the site ive been emailing him small things for him to fix in the next update

Levithix

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 03:18:43 PM »
wow, nice find

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 02:01:38 AM »
wow, nice find
Or at least it will hopefully grow into one.  It only has a handful of monsters from the SRD.

(No troll.... :mad)
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 02:41:36 AM »
Nifty. 
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

gagnrath

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 03:14:21 PM »
I wish it wasn't so but probably due to open gaming license issues he's limited to SRD monsters and his own creations unless/untill he gets permission from a specific publisher to use their creations.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 03:30:39 PM »
I wish it wasn't so but probably due to open gaming license issues he's limited to SRD monsters and his own creations unless/untill he gets permission from a specific publisher to use their creations.

Trolls are in the SRD.  I just don't think he's gotten to them yet.
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 03:37:27 PM »

Trolls are in the SRD.  I just don't think he's gotten to them yet.
Right, what I was saying is that he only has a few of the monsters from the SRD.  I wasn't expecting anything beyond the SRD, but it doesn't have all of those yet.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

bayar

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 06:47:30 PM »
Half-Field Vampire Black Half-Dragon Spider, Monstrous Large CR 6
Always Neutral Evil Medium Undead
Init +8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[spoiler]AC 29 FF 21 Touch 18
(+8 Dex, +11 natural)
HD: 4
HP: 26 (4d12+0) HP Range: 4-48
Fort +4 Ref +9 Will +2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speed 30ft, 20ft climb
Base Atk +3 Grp +10
Attack: Slam +10 1d4+7
Attack: Bite +10 1d6+10
Full Attack: Bite +10 1d6+10
Space 5 ft. (1 squares) Reach 5 ft. (1 squares)

Abilities Str 25(+7) Dex 27(+8) Con -- Int -- Wis 12(+1) Cha 10(+0)

Total Feats: 2
Feats:

Poison(Ex): Fortitude save DC 12(+2 HD, +0 Racial, +0 Con, +0 Feat) avoids
A monstrous spider has a poisonous bite. The bite deals 1d6 Str initial and secondary. The save DCs are Constitution-based.
Web(Ex): Fortitude save DC 12(+2 HD, +0 Racial, +0 Con, +0 Feat) avoids
Both types of monstrous spiders often wait in their webs or in trees, then lower themselves silently on silk strands and leap onto prey passing beneath. A single strand is strong enough to support the spider and one creature of the same size. Web-spinners can throw a web eight times per day. This is similar to an attack with a net but has a maximum range of 50 feet, with a range increment of 10 feet, and is effective against targets up to one size category larger than the spider. An entangled creature can escape with a successful Escape Artist check or burst it with a Strength check. Both are standard actions the DC for breaking the web is the listed DC + 4 (from a specific racial bonus). Web-spinners often create sheets of sticky webbing from 5 to 60 feet square, depending on the size of the spider. They usually position these sheets to snare flying creatures but can also try to trap prey on the ground. Approaching creatures must succeed on a DC 20 Spot check to notice a web; otherwise they stumble into it and become trapped as though by a successful web attack. Attempts to escape or burst the webbing gain a +5 bonus if the trapped creature has something to walk on or grab while pulling free. Each 5-foot section has 12 hit points, and sheet webs have damage reduction 5/�. A monstrous spider can move across its own web at its climb speed and can pinpoint the location of any creature touching its web.
Tremorsense(Ex): A monstrous spider can detect and pinpoint any creature or object within 60 feet in contact with the ground, or within any range in contact with the spider�s webs.
Darkvision(Ex): 60ft
Vermin traits(Ex): Immunity to all mind affecting effects (charms, compulsion, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects)
Low-light Vision(Ex):
Breath Weapon 60ft line of acid(Su): Reflex save DC 12(+2 HD, +0 Racial, +0 Con, +0 Feat) reduces damage by half.
A half-dragon's breath weapon deals 6d8 damage
Damage Reduction(Su): 5/magic
Cold Resistance(Ex): 5
Electricity Resistance(Ex): 10
Fire Resistance(Ex): 5
Smite good(Su): 1/day a half-fiend creature can smite a good foe and add an additional 4 damage(based on HD) to the attack. If the smite is used against a foe that is not good it adds no additional damage but the smite is still used for the day.
Immunity to Poison(Ex): Immunities cannot be supressed for beneficial affect.
Spell Resistance(Ex): 14

Advancement [5-7(Large)][/spoiler]

Yup, it is awesome.

Slaughterhouserock

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Hail to the king, baby.
    • Horror Movie Fans
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 07:32:41 PM »
Half-Field Vampire Black Half-Dragon Spider, Monstrous Large CR 6
Init +8

(+8 Dex, +11 natural)
Fort +4 Ref +9 Will +2

Speed 30ft, 20ft climb
Base Atk +3 Grp +10

Feats:

A monstrous spider has a poisonous bite. The bite deals 1d6 Str initial and secondary. The save DCs are Constitution-based.
Both types of monstrous spiders often wait in their webs or in trees, then lower themselves silently on silk strands and leap onto prey passing beneath. A single strand is strong enough to support the spider and one creature of the same size. Web-spinners can throw a web eight times per day. This is similar to an attack with a net but has a maximum range of 50 feet, with a range increment of 10 feet, and is effective against targets up to one size category larger than the spider. An entangled creature can escape with a successful Escape Artist check or burst it with a Strength check. Both are standard actions the DC for breaking the web is the listed DC + 4 (from a specific racial bonus). Web-spinners often create sheets of sticky webbing from 5 to 60 feet square, depending on the size of the spider. They usually position these sheets to snare flying creatures but can also try to trap prey on the ground. Approaching creatures must succeed on a DC 20 Spot check to notice a web; otherwise they stumble into it and become trapped as though by a successful web attack. Attempts to escape or burst the webbing gain a +5 bonus if the trapped creature has something to walk on or grab while pulling free. Each 5-foot section has 12 hit points, and sheet webs have damage reduction 5/�. A monstrous spider can move across its own web at its climb speed and can pinpoint the location of any creature touching its web.
Tremorsense(Ex): A monstrous spider can detect and pinpoint any creature or object within 60 feet in contact with the ground, or within any range in contact with the spider�s webs.
Vermin traits(Ex): Immunity to all mind affecting effects (charms, compulsion, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects)
Low-light Vision(Ex):
Breath Weapon 60ft line of acid(Su): Reflex save DC 12(+2 HD, +0 Racial, +0 Con, +0 Feat) reduces damage by half.
Smite good(Su): 1/day a half-fiend creature can smite a good foe and add an additional 4 damage(based on HD) to the attack. If the smite is used against a foe that is not good it adds no additional damage but the smite is still used for the day.

Yup, it is awesome.

Lol, I may just use a couple of those in an upcoming game, just to see how the players react. :P
The DM giveth and the rogue taketh away.
I have a 5 in Charisma and Diplomacy is a cross-class skill.  Hopefully I don't piss off too many people.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 08:05:37 PM »
Half-Fiend Vampire Black Half-Dragon Spider, Monstrous Large CR 6
Init +8

(+8 Dex, +11 natural)
Fort +4 Ref +9 Will +2

Speed 30ft, 20ft climb
Base Atk +3 Grp +10

Feats:

Low-light Vision(Ex):

Yup, it is awesome.

Lol, I may just use a couple of those in an upcoming game, just to see how the players react. :P
Well, it sorta makes sense.  Spiders inject their prey with acid and suck out the liquified innards, right?  So obviously a spider from the abyss would be that much better at it.
Planetouched Handbook

monsteradvanceroverlord

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 10:27:37 PM »
I am glad that so many people are liking it. Fear not I am spending much time increasing the creature set in the advancer. Trolls are already done for my next release which should be sometime this week.

In my next release that will be sometime this week I intend to include the following:

- A dozen or so new creatures including several more golems and blink dogs as well as more classes for class level use -- trolls, goblins, gnolls and of course the greastest of all monsters - gnomes.

- Also finishing the implementation of the half-dragon template that will allow selection of any colored dragon (metallic and chromatic) you wish.

- For those who realize that the main customizer can take a few seconds to load initially, I will have altered it to never close and merely open new windows for each creature you advance...this way there is no longer any loading, reloading of this javascript intensive page. (This will especially help those poor bastards who still insist on using Internet Explorer(aka The Firefox Downloader)). All jokes aside this application (at least the main portion) works about twice as well in a standards compliant browser (Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari, etc.)) The quickened app and the random encounter generator both work in the iPhone last time I checked as well.

Keep in mind that I am in full development mode and hope to continue to get new features, creatures and fixes out quickly. If you mention something that you want you will most likely get it. The squeaky wheel gets oiled and whatnot...

monsteradvanceroverlord

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 10:32:09 PM »
Don't worry about the creatures available to the advancer either. There are 3 Tome of Horror books and 3 Creature Collections which are 100% OGL...and not to mention very good monster manuals anyway. I have quite a few creatures from the Tome of Horror ready to go as well but I have to update my OGL disclosure prior to releasing them...soon enough. I should have nearly 1000 creatures when I get them all in...that's right 1000...and dozens of templates. It is my greatest hope to turn the CR1 Darkmantle into an epic encounter...the possibilities are ridiculous and by ridiculous I mean amazing.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 10:37:54 PM »
So how are you doing feat choices?  It would be kind of a letdown if I fought a CR 21 darkmantle that took toughness seven times.
Planetouched Handbook

monsteradvanceroverlord

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 11:01:03 PM »
Right now the feat selection is not automated. In the main application, you can set a "Feat Progression" which allows you to set a list of feats the creature will take as it advances and gains more feats. If you do not select any feats it does just print how many feats the creature has. I am working on what sort of automated selection process I am going to use right now as I want the random generator and the quickened monster advancer to at least suggest some feats rather than just telling you a creature has 5 feats. I think I may end up "tagging" monsters into types (tough, controller, blaster, etc) and based on the type different feats are given weights. In general the % percent chance will weight certain feats higher versus certain types...this way the selection will be able often times select interesting feats but most of the time it will select applicable feats to a creature. So for a melee fighter creature, power attack would have the highest weight and thus the % chance of selection could be as high as 80-90% as it is a standard feat for creatures you want to hit hard. This system would of course require that I set up a tagging system, tag all the creatures and set up a weight for each feat based on the tags as well. This isn't hard it will simply be time consuming. Although, there are several other features I am working on that would be served well by monsters with some sort of general tagging/grouping labels.

monsteradvanceroverlord

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2009, 04:01:02 PM »
New creatures have been released:
Blink dog, Chimera, Chaos Beast, Centaur, Goblin, Gnome, Gnoll, Troll, Roper, Clay Golem, Iron Golem, Owlbear, and all ages green dragons and the red dragon great wyrm.

Also skills now are displayed and auto-assigned using a fairly intuitive strategy that tends to try to max out class skills and emphasizes a few specific skills based on creature type, or character class. Your Bugbear shouldn't usually get assigned 3 different perform skills unless he has bard levels.

Feats are now properly calculated including class levels. (Does not yet include bonus feats--although monk bonus feats are set up to assign randomly already)

There is a place on the display screen that now shows how many stat points the creature should have gained from advancement. (Just as a side note...if you ever actually do the math on the creatures you will realize that most monsters in the books ignore the whole extra stat point every 4 levels completely so I tend to not worry about it...keep in mind that in the main application that the table that shows the stats can be clicked on and every stat can be edited manually so the stats are always up to you.)

Also the main application now opens a new window for each creature you advance so that the javascript heavy page doesn't have to keep reloading.

Fixed a few problems with the printing from the stat block page. If you print the it should display only the things you would want displayed on your stat block automatically. (You don't have to cut and paste to another program if you don't want to)

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2009, 04:25:58 PM »
If I could make a suggestion:

Perhaps integrate a "Standard Array", or "Elite Array" option, either by automatically picking by role or (if present) by class level or by simply selecting priorities.

monsteradvanceroverlord

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2009, 12:26:06 PM »
The arrays are an interesting option that I definitely would like to incorporate eventually. It is slightly trickier than it sounds as you have to reverse engineer every creature and determine what the racial mods are. (Obviously for classes that can become PC's they give you those mods so those I could do right way) for everything else...it will take some time unless someone had this work done already and was willing to share it. In any case it will get done eventually and I may put it in at least for the pc/npc-type monsters...like the gnome.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2009, 12:31:01 PM »
You accidentally gave the Dire Wolf 19 charisma.  :twitch :lol