Author Topic: Making spells (buffs) last longer without using persist  (Read 5772 times)

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
Re: Making spells (buffs) last longer without using persist
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2009, 06:22:23 PM »
If that's the case, the multiplication really adds up on the ScM/Circle Magic build.  CL50 X 2 X 2 X 2 = 400 X duration
day/level lasts over a year, hours/level lasts for over 2 weeks, 10 min/level lasts for almost 3 days.  min/lvl lasts over 6 hours.  I guess now we need 1 or two more auto-extending PrCs to get it to truly persistant for min/lvl.  Hmm.
Suel Arcanamach and Abjurant Champion both get auto-extend as well, though the former only applies to SA spells and the latter applies only to Abjurations.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2009, 06:32:49 PM »
Ice-dweller Dragonborn Primordial Incarnate construct half-minotaur aquatic warforged
...and a partridge in a pear tree.

What're the LA and stat mods on this thing?
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2009, 06:34:25 PM »
Ice-dweller Dragonborn Primordial Incarnate construct half-minotaur aquatic warforged

Well, a Dragonborn Primordial Incarante construct Half-minotaur Warforged would be LA +0. I'm not sure about aquatic and ice-dweller.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2009, 06:35:34 PM »
SA can be abused by dipping 3 levels into it, taking silent image, and then versatile spellcaster to heighten it by sacking high level wizard spells.  The caster level suffers a bit due to lack of red wizard greater circle, but you now get duration X 16.

Edit: Just looked up Sudden Extend.  You can stack it with Extend Spell.  so 1/day duration X 32.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 06:48:55 PM by Rebel7284 »
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2009, 06:57:23 PM »

Well, a Dragonborn Primordial Incarante construct Half-minotaur Warforged would be LA +0. I'm not sure about aquatic and ice-dweller.
Each of them is LA + 0
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2009, 08:44:32 AM »
Edit: Just looked up Sudden Extend.  You can stack it with Extend Spell.  so 1/day duration X 32.

Quote from: Miniatures Handbook, pg 2

You can apply a sudden metamagic feat to a spell that has already been enhanced by a regular metamagic feat. However, the sudden metamagic feat cannot be of the same type as the regular metamagic feat (for instance, you can't use Sudden Extend on a spell that has already been extended).

Hm, I didn't realize they were also printed in CArc. Cru may be right, but it's debatable so I'm [ s ] ing this comment.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 11:32:34 AM by Emy »

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2009, 10:39:10 AM »
From Complete Arcane, page 83. 

Benefit: Once per day, you can apply the effect of the
Extend Spell feat to any spell you cast without increasing
the level of the spell or specially preparing it ahead of time.
You can still use Extend Spell normally if you have it.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2009, 11:11:52 AM »
Rebel's right. CArc has the most recent version of the feat, and that overrides the Minis Handbook's printing of the feat.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2009, 11:23:24 AM »
You can still use Extend Spell normally if you have it.
This could also mean: If you have extend spell, you can use it normally (i.e., increasing the spell level, preparing ahead, etc.) to extend other spells (but not this one).

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2009, 11:46:30 AM »
Having just reviewed the relevant feats in Complete Arcane, I continue to believe I was right about the bit in MiniHB. Unless there is a more recent printing of this:

Quote from: Miniatures Handbook, pg 2
You can apply a sudden metamagic feat to a spell that has already been enhanced by a regular metamagic feat. However, the sudden metamagic feat cannot be of the same type as the regular metamagic feat (for instance, you can't use Sudden Extend on a spell that has already been extended).

it still defines the generic sudden metamagic feat effect. All of the sudden metamagic feats, in both MiniHB and CArc, include this line.

Quote from: Every sudden metamagic feat
You may still use the ______ Spell feat normally, if you have it.

None of the sudden metamagic feats were changed from MiniHB to CArc, as far as I can tell. If it were referring to using a sudden metamagic feat plus the equivalent normal metamagic feat on the same spell, the MiniHB would then contradict itself. If Cru is correct, no contradiction arises.

Therefore, the last line of each sudden metamagic feat is simply clarifying that it does not affect the use of any standard metamagic feats.