Author Topic: Outfitting a 12th level Bard  (Read 7689 times)

Endless Twilight

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Outfitting a 12th level Bard
« on: May 12, 2009, 11:33:44 AM »
I'm in a new campaign-a gestalt campaign, where my character is an Illumian Bard/Paladin of Freedom, streamlined as a charisma-based swiss army knife, in combat using Words of Creation and Dragonfire Inspiration to support the rest of the party. I've already decided her feats, skills, etc, and am now looking for advice on equipment to give her, as the Bard's Handbook I found (as far as how she mechanically plays, she's much closer to a bard) didn't offer much help in this regard.

Rules are spending no more than 60% of our gold, which is standard starting for 12th level, and our characters' patrons will give us a special item, which we can request-the DM seems a generous enough guy (45 point buy in a gestalt campaign, 'nuff said), but he did, on the other hand, shut down a borderline invulnerable ghost application, who probably wouldn't have been anything remarkable on these boards, but was completely broken in our gaming community.

I'm figuring on at least a cloak of charisma, as it yields benefits to skills and her saves thanks to Divine Grace, and I'm thinking not to bother with any magical weapons, but beyond that, suggestions are very much appreciated. Her stats, if needed are: Str 10, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 20.

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
Re: Outfitting a 12th level Bard
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 11:58:20 AM »
The best Light Armor you can afford(likely a Mithral Breatplate +something) is a No-Brainer.

What kind of Perform are you using?
There are some pretty awesome magical Instruments, that also can cast a variety of spells 1/day.

For your special item, I'd choose an Admiral's Bicorne(from Stromwrack), but 51,000gp might be to expensive for your Level.
As the Party Buffer, you should buy it later, if you can afford it.

Endless Twilight

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 12:05:55 PM »
I'm using Perform (Stringed), tentatively, but that can easily be changed-everyone's still fine-tuning and tweaking their characters in preparation to play while the DM finishes writing the setting background info.

What are the stats on the Bicorne? I'm a college student home for the summer, and at home I don't have access to my various books. I do know Stormwrack is on the list of approved books, as is the MIC.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 12:13:24 PM »
Masterwork mandolin adds +1 to your inspire courage. Definitely do that.

Feat: Song of the Heart.
Item: Badge of Valor.

Those 2 are awesome.

Admiral's Bicorne grants a +5 to charisma based skill and ability checks, +5 to leadership, and a continual Inspire Courage +2 effect on allies within 100 feet (and amplifies your voice to the same radius). It costs you about 50k. If you're doing Dragonfire Inspiration, which you are, it'll save you an action on activating IC, but if you really need the attack roll boost, you can still pump it up to about +8 with your feats you have.

I assume that Devoted Performer is a given.

Endless Twilight

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 12:32:39 PM »
No need for Devoted Performer-it's gestalt, and the DM has restrictions on prestige classing that I won't go into-suffice to say that my character is stuck with Paladin 20. Feats are:

Dragontouched (Illumian, so not dragonblood natively)
Dragonfire Inspiration
Nymph's Kiss (1st level, so extra skill point from the word go)
Song of the Heart
Words of Creation
Melodic Casting
Murky-Eyed (Flaw-DM allowed one flaw per character)

Also, where's the rule on Masterwork Mandolin granting +1 to inspire courage? I haven't seen that anywhere, and while it sounds very useful, I'd like to be able to give the DM where it's from.

I'm not trying to go truly overboard with my character, but that Bicorne... even though I'm abstaining from Leadership... wow...

Also, what's the Badge of Valor do? As I said, I don't have access to the books while home for the summer, so just posting items doesn't tell me what they do.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 12:38:21 PM »
I recomend looking at the Utility Belt thread in the Handbooks section. A bard should be a jack of a trades, and nothing says that quite like a belt of really handy items.
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 01:22:46 PM »
The ruling on masterwork Instruments is from Complete Adventurer, as are these Items:
Badge of Valor -> see woodenbandman's post, improves your aura of courage
Lute of the wandering Ministrel(29,500gp) -> some useful spells 1/day if you have 5 ranks in Perform(string)
Mandoline of the Inspiring Muse(42,000gp) -> same as above, but more powerful spells and you need 15 ranks

Ask, if you can use Strings of Spellstoring(45,000gp) on any of these.
If not they might still be worth to put on a mundane Mwk Mandoline.

MIC has:
Gloves of the starry sky(1,100gp) -> light at will & 3/day expend one of your 1st level spellslots for magic missile
Dove's Harp(12,100gp) -> fast healing 3 for 1 minute, whenever you use it with bardic music

The Gloves are part of the Item Set "Raiment of the Four".
Look up the other pieces, if you want some more.
All are Spellslot actived and the Set Benefit is Energy Resistance.

Endless Twilight

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 01:36:27 PM »
Do I have to say again that I do not have access to any of my books while home for the summer? I have a resource that lets me look up details on just about any feat in an official 3.5E book, and basic stats on most non-psionic races, templates, and base classes, plus the SRD, but that's about it-I cannot figure out for the life of me how Crystalkeep's magic items are sorted.

Woodenbandman explained the Bicorne, but not the Badge, and I'd like to know what to add to the character sheet beyond "improves aura of courage", unless that's just a +1 benefit to the ability.

What does the Mandolin of the Inspiring Muse have as its spells? My character does have 15 ranks of Perform (using Melodic Casting, so the skill pulls double duty). Combining it with Strings of Spellstoring is also exceedingly impractical-the two items alone would take up 87000 of my 88000 gold allotment, and I dislike putting all my eggs in one basket unless it's one hell of a basket. Don't need the gloves of the starry sky due to Luminous Sigils (as an Illumian).

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 01:44:54 PM »
If you have money left over, folding traps are your friend for battlefield control.
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 05:38:28 PM »
Sorry, forgot about that.
I know that I suggested some expensive Items, but You always could get them later(buy Dove's Harp now and the Mandoline later, for example).

Here come the Details:
Badge(1,400gp MIC Version, was apperntly reprinted and is more useful than the version in CompAdv): 3/day +1 on your Inspire courage
Mandoline(no MIC Version found): 1/day each levitate, magic circle against evil, crushing despair, dominate person & good hope

The Badge of Valor is now Part of an Magic Item Set: Regalia of the Hero(IMO made for the Marshal from Miniatures Handbook).
Helm of Tactics(2,000): 3/day for all allies within 60ft. from you +2 on melee weapon damage for flanked enemies, 10 rounds duration
Horn of resilience(5,000gp): 2/day 50 temporary hitpoints for target of your inspire greatness(last as long as your bardic music) or DR 5/- for 5 rounds
Set Benefits are 1/day +5 to a single attack for single ally and 1/day grant move action to single ally.

In case you somehow have/can get the Dragonblood Subtype(or take the Dragontouched Feat), Draconic Aura is a good Feat
and you can use the 3rd function of the Horn with it as it would count as a major Marshal aura. If you dip into Marshal, there
would also be a 2nd function on the Helm for minor aura(and using Dragon Magic you can exchange your major aura for a Draconic Aura).

The Gloves are good to have for Magic Missile(which Bards normally can't get), in case you want to hit something that's etheral,
has high AC or a Misschance.

At higher Level you might also want to look into Runestaffs, as they give you access to Spells to cast with your Slots(and your casterlevel!)
and some of the more expensive ones are Magic Weapons too. And no, I'm not browsing thru all Runestaffs to evaluate them for you :rollseyes

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 05:42:22 PM »
Do you have anyone with turning or rebuking the in the party?

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 05:48:55 PM »
Do you have anyone with turning or rebuking the in the party?
He's got more than 4 Levels in Paladin?^^

Endless Twilight

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 05:49:46 PM »
I have turning (bard/paladin of freedom gestalt, level 12 in both), and we've got an archivist/dread necromancer gestalt in the party (others are a sorcerer/monk, druid/sorcerer, and some unholy kobold monstrosity with about seven classes to its name). I also do have the dragonblood subtype via the Dragontouched feat, for Dragonfire Inspiration, and just don't have the spare feat for Draconic Aura.

All the info has been quite useful, and I've been discussing it with the other party members to discuss what roles each member will fill (we're all required to have an arcane class as one of our gestalt classes), and it seems I'm the designated social and support monkey. If any non-bard magic items might be helpful, I've got +22 Use Magic Device without any items adding bonuses.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 05:51:51 PM by Endless Twilight »

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 07:25:28 PM »
I believe that the MW mandolin thingy is in Complete Adventurer, though you might check the Arms and Equipment Guide as well as Song and Silence if it's not there.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 09:22:54 PM »
I have turning (bard/paladin of freedom gestalt, level 12 in both), and we've got an archivist/dread necromancer gestalt in the party (others are a sorcerer/monk, druid/sorcerer, and some unholy kobold monstrosity with about seven classes to its name). I also do have the dragonblood subtype via the Dragontouched feat, for Dragonfire Inspiration, and just don't have the spare feat for Draconic Aura.

All the info has been quite useful, and I've been discussing it with the other party members to discuss what roles each member will fill (we're all required to have an arcane class as one of our gestalt classes), and it seems I'm the designated social and support monkey. If any non-bard magic items might be helpful, I've got +22 Use Magic Device without any items adding bonuses.
I assume you have bardic knack...

get you party members to pool gold and buy nolzur's marvelous pigment, by taking 20 and using bardic knack on the craft (paint) check, you can create what ever you need, lock picking tools, peek hole, lava, armor, sword.

Also, why dragon touched when Dragonborn does more without taking a feat?

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 10:10:55 PM »
Get yourself some Slippers of Battledancing and a Vest of Legends. NOW.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Endless Twilight

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2009, 12:49:37 AM »

get you party members to pool gold and buy nolzur's marvelous pigment, by taking 20 and using bardic knack on the craft (paint) check, you can create what ever you need, lock picking tools, peek hole, lava, armor, sword.

Not Dragonborn and not using bardic knack because they don't fit the character, and because from the looks of things, the DM will be quick to shut down anything he feels may be broken (the kobold player posted an idea he had for what he wanted to do, DM replied we'd get an advanced Great Wyrm force dragon upon game start out to kill the kobold and only the kobold).

Can't find either on Crystalsong's pdf's. Care to elaborate?

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2009, 12:55:13 AM »

Not Dragonborn and not using bardic knack because they don't fit the character, and because from the looks of things, the DM will be quick to shut down anything he feels may be broken (the kobold player posted an idea he had for what he wanted to do, DM replied we'd get an advanced Great Wyrm force dragon upon game start out to kill the kobold and only the kobold).

Can't find either on Crystalsong's pdf's. Care to elaborate?

How does bardic knack, the class feature that improves bard's usefulness in all aspects not fit with your character?

Endless Twilight

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2009, 01:11:07 AM »
The character is a paladin of the campaign's goddess of knowledge, and by non-combat trade is a teacher. Bardic Knowledge, representing all the odd things she's learned in the course of her career and what she's soaked up among her church, fits her very well indeed. She's got points in most knowledge skills-only maxed in a couple, but enough to make sure she can learn just about anything with an application of Legend Lore.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2009, 01:14:14 AM »
"With bardic knack, you can cut down trees, make a raft, sail it, and navagate via the starts, if only gilligan was a bard"
-DDutchess