Author Topic: Gestalt Warlock-Spellthief with Cleric Cohort  (Read 12707 times)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Re: Gestalt Warlock-Spellthief with Cleric Cohort
« Reply #100 on: June 17, 2009, 05:45:35 PM »
Minor nitpick: RAW, DMM is applied at casting time (which is fantastic when you use DMM with metamagics other than Persist). The text of the feat has Jozan using it when casting Holy Smite.
That solves the problem with PoPs as well, since it clearly doesn't come back metamagicked.

(Then again, maybe you were saying you're handling it differently in your campaign.)

Didn't know that. The way I posted is how I always interpreted the feat's ability (I only read it a few times, and usually on Crystal Keep or a similar site).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
Re: Gestalt Warlock-Spellthief with Cleric Cohort
« Reply #101 on: June 18, 2009, 12:21:36 AM »
Minor nitpick: RAW, DMM is applied at casting time (which is fantastic when you use DMM with metamagics other than Persist). The text of the feat has Jozan using it when casting Holy Smite.
That solves the problem with PoPs as well, since it clearly doesn't come back metamagicked.

(Then again, maybe you were saying you're handling it differently in your campaign.)

Didn't know that. The way I posted is how I always interpreted the feat's ability (I only read it a few times, and usually on Crystal Keep or a similar site).

The problem is that the way the feat is written is confusing, as I stated before:

The text provides for two possibilities: Either that you can expend the turn checks to prepare your spells in its normal spell level slot, or that you spend the turn checks upon casting to reduce the spell level adjustment.
The former provides for the fact that prepared casters, such as a cleric, must prepare spells with metamagic to begin with. The latter goes with the example given for DMM, where it says "For example, Jozan the cleric could sacrifice three turn attempts to empower a holy smite he's casting." My emphasis, indicates the sacrifice occurs upon casting, as opposed to upon preparing. However, unless you prepare a metamagic spell in a certain spell-level-slot and end up casting it at its regular slot, it doesn't make sense.

So, does DMM apply at casting or upon preparing? This obviously has a big impact on the usefulness of my cohort for Steal Spell. :O

Technically, since you're applying Persist spontaneously, that ought to bump up the casting time to a full round action as normal, though using the Turn attempts might circumvent this. In any case, it interacts very strangely with divine casters. Of course, the fact that the casting time would be longer has little to no impact, since you're casting it at the beginning of the day, in most cases, anyway.

Regardless, I'm still questioning where to take the cohort now, given this development.