Author Topic: Gestalt sorcerer  (Read 2906 times)

Ashera

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
Gestalt sorcerer
« on: May 07, 2009, 03:52:03 AM »

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Gestalt sorcerer
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 04:06:59 AM »
Well, I'll be the first one to post the obligatory "venerable dragonwrought desert kobold" recommendation.  Toss in the draconic rites of passage for effective +1 level of sorcerer at the cost of a couple hundred gp and four or five hp.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Ashera

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 04:24:56 AM »
:(
no kobolds...we are using the normal races + the ones from forgotten realms campaign setting

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 08:05:32 AM »
Sorry, I thought that SRD content was open.

Could you be a little more specific about your available sources, then?
Planetouched Handbook

Ashera

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 08:25:58 AM »
we'll, we use most of the content in the complete series, races of dragon, Dragon magic, Forgotten Realms books. We also use races of the Wild, of Stone and destiny. We are limited to no templates, no ECL races, and only "normal races" i.e. humans, elves dwarfes - basically, variants of the ones from PH. Basically, feats, spells and pretigeclasses are almost always accepted, races are not

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 09:11:42 AM »
It may not be the most powerful option, but I always liked the flavour of Dragon Disciple, and it would seemingly fit your character.  Maybe focus mostly on Sorcerer and Paladin, then move into DD while keeping up your spellcaster levels?
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 09:53:38 AM »
Silverbrow human or Star Elf might be a better racial choice than half elf.  Silverbrow humans get the dragonblood subtype for free, a racial bonus to disguise, and featherfall a couple of times per day in exchange for 1 sp/level, and star elves are just great.

There's also the faerun-based "lesser aasimar", which is also pretty good, if you can get it.  It's exactly the same as a normal aasimar, but is a humanoid (planetouched) instead of outsider, and doesn't afraid of anything is detailed in, IIRC, Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting.
Planetouched Handbook

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 11:58:00 AM »
Silverbrow human or Star Elf might be a better racial choice than half elf.  Silverbrow humans get the dragonblood subtype for free, a racial bonus to disguise, and featherfall a couple of times per day in exchange for 1 sp/level, and star elves are just great.

There's also the faerun-based "lesser aasimar", which is also pretty good, if you can get it.  It's exactly the same as a normal aasimar, but is a humanoid (planetouched) instead of outsider, and doesn't afraid of anything is detailed in, IIRC, Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting Player's Guide to Faerun.
Fixed that for ya.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Braithwaite

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 01:39:06 PM »
Sorcerer/Dragon Shaman has a lot of love also. Dragon Shaman's primary weakness as a class is that they need something useful to do with their actions once they have their aura up, but adding sorcerer fixes that. Quicken Breath+ Entangling breath is a good way to begin a fight if you can do it at the same time as a sorcerer spell.

Ashera

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 04:22:32 AM »
we dont use PHII, so no dragon shaman.

I was considering lesser aasimar, but I dont see how thats better than getting 2 paragon classes that both grants a bonus and +2 to any stat

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 09:35:58 AM »
Well, in my opinion the racial paragon classes aren't particularly good outside of a few niche cases... I suppose the spell progression levels are still better than plain sorcerer, but it seems like you should be able to do something better with your levels than that.
Planetouched Handbook

Ashera

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009, 06:56:53 PM »
I'd have thouht so too, but the feats I get extra seem better to me than other classe abilities...

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2009, 09:17:46 PM »
How are you actually getting Paragon levels without SRD/UA?

Anyway, Gestalt is probably the best way to use Dragon Disciple. Go for something like...

Sorcerer 5/Incantrix10/Sorcerer 5//Half-Elf Paragon 3/Human Paragon 3/whatever 9/Dragon Disciple 5

Just make sure whatever is a base class.
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2009, 11:59:17 PM »
Stuff ...
2 spells from any spelllist. Ninja and paladin are mostly there for some defensive abilities

Actually, given your constraints, I think it is a quite nice build.

You have good charisma synergy (Cha to spells, Saves, AC), and you make up the "dead" levels on the other side.

I think Wyrm Wizard is really a very nice late-level addition, as it let's you pick up Miracle as a 9th level spell - invaluable to a Sorcerer who only has a finite number of spell slots.  Depending on the DM, perhaps you could also pick up greater anyspell.

You really only need 2 levels of Paladin and 1 level of Ninja.  You could then Dip fighter for a couple of feats (say, improved initiative or improved toughness), Dip Incarnate for some soulmelds, Dip Rogue 2 for evasion, Hexblade for more save goodness and Mettle, etc.

Best,
David

Some Cool Quotes:  [spoiler]
Quote from: unknown
Non-PC activities like out of combat healing should be left to wands and NPCs. It's not fun to play a walking wand of CLW. Likewise, being a combat wall is not a viable PC role. A Wall of Force could do that.

-Sort of, but you left out the important note that a Wall of Force does it better.

Quote from: Runestar / skydragonknight
The most powerful character is the one that you actually get to play.

Quote from: Operation Shoestring
I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/spoiler]
DavidWL's Random Build Archive

Ashera

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 03:43:02 AM »
How are you actually getting Paragon levels without SRD/UA?

lol..I may be getting old...I completely forgot to write that UA is used -  parts of it at least. Paragon classes, and gestalt only. No Bloodlines, no flaws  - but I can live with that, I chose sorcerer partly out of vanity, and superhigh cha is a bit wasted if I stack up on flaws:)