Author Topic: Melee Clerics–Actually that good?  (Read 12177 times)

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Melee Clerics–Actually that good?
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2009, 08:30:16 PM »
I'm totally stealing that idea

Here's a few more summons that's benefit from being pseudonatural:

Giant Wasp: 1d6 dex attack (SMIV)
Various Monsterous spider: various str damage
Various Monsterous Centepede: various dex damage
Various Vipers: various con damage
Various Monsteous Scorpion: various con damage
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 11:18:26 PM by ninjarabbit »

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2009, 11:14:56 AM »
He also has a simple method for making sure nobody goes overboard in creating their characters.  We each create three characters we'd be willing to play and hand them to him.  He picks one and gives it to us--and then keeps the other two as NPCs.
Have to agree there, that's a really good idea. However, it only works if all the party likes to optimise. If I hand in three super-powered characters with a weak party, then one of them will likely as not be lots of trouble for the party as a whole - considering he'll likely return as a BBEG of a higher level.

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2009, 01:08:01 PM »
Have to agree there, that's a really good idea. However, it only works if all the party likes to optimise. If I hand in three super-powered characters with a weak party, then one of them will likely as not be lots of trouble for the party as a whole - considering he'll likely return as a BBEG of a higher level.

Oh, but that's the beauty of it.  Some of the members of the group AREN'T so great at optimizing.  What has happened...on more than one occasion...is that the DM has handed them one of the better optimizers' "extra" characters as a source for ideas.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2009, 01:28:58 PM »

Oh, but that's the beauty of it.  Some of the members of the group AREN'T so great at optimizing.  What has happened...on more than one occasion...is that the DM has handed them one of the better optimizers' "extra" characters as a source for ideas.

Hmm, I don't see how that differs from just giving them advice. And with D&D, seeing the sheet on paper often doesn't tell you how things work, IMHO.

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2009, 02:12:21 PM »
Hmm, I don't see how that differs from just giving them advice. And with D&D, seeing the sheet on paper often doesn't tell you how things work, IMHO.

Ultimately, it doesn't...and usually the player who made the character sits down with the other player and explains the workings.

It just streamlines the process, in the same way that letting the DM keep characters as NPCs streamlines the process of producing NPCs.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2009, 02:37:13 PM »
It just streamlines the process, in the same way that letting the DM keep characters as NPCs streamlines the process of producing NPCs.
Yeah, NPCs take up way too much time...*grumble*
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2009, 09:25:46 AM »
While we are on this topic, perhaps we can start detailing how a cleric is expected to fare in combat from 1st to 20th lv?

Not every DM allows nightsticks or DMM: persist, so I think it may be better to examine how viable it really is under these "so-called more reasonable" circumstances.

1st lv: (Assuming 25-point buy)
Dwarf cleric1 (hp:11)
Str14, Dex11, Con16, Int10, Wis15, Cha6
Saves: Fort+5, Reflex+0, Will+4
Skills: max out concentration and knowledge: religion
Feats: not sure (quite a number of viable choices, lets settle on improved initiative for now), weapon focus(b)
Domains: strength (good spells), war (free weapon focus/prof with decent weapon).
AC: 16 (Base10, +4scalemail, +2heavy shield)
Damage: +3 (+2str, +1focus), 1d8+2
Spells prepared: enlarge person, bless, divine favour

Combat: Attack doesn't seem that great, so we will need to boost that with judicious uses of charging and flanking (ready your attack for when your ally flanks if need be). This can improve to +7, or +8 when you get a masterwork weapon/cast bless or divine favour, or +9 with both.

You don't get many spells, so use them sparingly (1/encounter). Bless is nifty for boosting the entire party, so maybe you can co-operate with the wizard to scribe multiple scrolls (and its duration of 1 minute is more than enough). Divine favour isn't really all that useful at this juncture, but it does stack with bless. Enlarge person perhaps offers the most benefit at this stage - you do get -2AC (woe if you charge), but get reach and more damage (+1 from str, plus your warhammer improves from 1d8 to 2d6) in return.

So with the tactical application of a buff spell, you should at least be on par with the party fighter. Only problem is that you can't support both out-of-combat healing and in-combat buffing, wands of CLW/vigor are out of reach, and your party may lack the resources/downtime to stock up on scrolls.

I can't quite recall off-hand what useful abilities I can swap turn undead out for. Any tips in this aspect are much appreciated.  :P

- More may come later, if I am still in the mood for typing after my bath.
- Back from my bath. Here we go...

2nd - 4th lv: +1 to wis at 4th lv (were you expecting me to add it to dex? :smirk)
You get +1bab every lv, so you aren't any worse off compared to a fighter. Focus on getting the heaviest armour you can find (might be problematic if you have to compete with the fighter, so maybe you will always be 1 step behind, in that you have to settle for the fighter's hand-me-downs). But anyways, get banded mail, half-plate, then fullplate ASAP. This improves your AC to 20. And have everyone chip in for a wand of CLW/vigor and hold on to it. This will take care of your party's healing needs for now.

Feats - Likely touch of healing for the utility it grants. One of your 2nd lv slots will probably be permanently dedicated to a CMW spell. If you have dungeonscape, contemplate losing the strength domain benefit for the ability to cast restorations spontaneously (these are some of those spells you won't always need, but will really appreciate being able to access them when the situation does pop up). Together with the ability to spontaneously cast healing spells, you should have the healing part covered in a pinch (remember that you are a melee combatant first, and a healer second, so your party should know better than to rely on you ultimately).

Spells - this is the most significant part. Bull's str is always welcome. Shield other is not too shabby (great to ward against focus fire). Alternatively, sound burst and hold person are great for debuffing the enemy (DC15 is still decent). Because at this juncture, foes can still deal sufficient damage to take you down in 1-2 rounds, your party can't afford to just charge headlong into combat, so it helps to play safe and disable them first. In this regard, the cleric is tactically superior to the fighter, who can only wait by the sidelines for the opportune moment to strike. But I believe the fighter will still be the key source of damage. Cleric is still more of a battlefield controller+backup fighter.

5th and 6th lv:
Not much difference. You lose another point of bab. 3rd lv spells are very useful. Prayer gives your party +1 on several rolls, while penalizing your foes by the same amount. Summon monster is nasty for the huge centipede it can bring in (grapple to disable a single enemy), magic circle is always useful against foes utilizing mind-affecting magic while dispel magic never grows stale. For feats, I suppose you could start with extend spell (or get a metamagic rod of extend).
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 12:08:22 PM by Runestar »
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2009, 02:24:16 PM »
Not every DM allows nightsticks or DMM: persist, so I think it may be better to examine how viable it really is under these "so-called more reasonable" circumstances.
That's like saying let's examine how wizards fare in a campaign where there are no magic marts to purchase scrolls or any reasonable magic items. And down time is limited, so good luck crafting... *insert rolling eyes smiley*

While I agree that nightstick stacking may be a bit extreme for a fair portion of DMs, allowing nightsticks and DMM Persist is not broken or unbalanced. /pet peeve rant.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2009, 02:36:09 PM »
You could use this variant of Persist if you feel using the regular one with DMM is too cheesy. It'd knock out all the really nasty things you could do with Persist though.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2009, 04:10:42 PM »
That's like saying let's examine how wizards fare in a campaign where there are no magic marts to purchase scrolls or any reasonable magic items. And down time is limited, so good luck crafting... *insert rolling eyes smiley*
You love clerics so much, you take slights against them personally. I'm impressed. ;)

While I agree that nightstick stacking may be a bit extreme for a fair portion of DMs, allowing nightsticks and DMM Persist is not broken or unbalanced. /pet peeve rant.
It's a matter of opinion, but I find DMM: Persist unbalanced. Two of the most valuable currencies in D&D are actions and per-day resources, and DMMP makes it too easy to win on both sides IMO. I'd actually tend to ban Persistent Spell or change it to something like the version veekie pointed to (as a nice side effect, we'd see fewer Planning+Undeath Clerics ! :D). Other DMMs are fine by me.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2009, 04:58:28 PM »
You love clerics so much, you take slights against them personally. I'm impressed. ;)
Actually, it's the irrationality that bothers me. Nothing personal, but I see people complain about DMM Persist and then turn around and praise Incantrix... Kind of illogical right there, imo. ;)

It's a matter of opinion, but I find DMM: Persist unbalanced. Two of the most valuable currencies in D&D are actions and per-day resources, and DMMP makes it too easy to win on both sides IMO. I'd actually tend to ban Persistent Spell or change it to something like the version veekie pointed to (as a nice side effect, we'd see fewer Planning+Undeath Clerics ! :D). Other DMMs are fine by me.
I agree partially. Actions are a valid currency, although I disagree that per day resources are so valuable, although at lower levels that may prove true. I don't mind Veekie's Persist post. That's actually a legit feat, especially since it only costs 2 spell levels. Upping by 6 is a hefty price, and hence my acceptance of it as a balanced feat. With a 10 Cha (average for most clerics, imo) and one nightstick, you get to DMM Persist 1 spell. So that's, hrm... 3 feats and 7.5K for one spell to last all day?
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Soda

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2009, 05:24:52 PM »
(as a nice side effect, we'd see fewer Planning+Undeath Clerics ! :D)
Y'know.. I never wondered what all those undeath-fascinated, planning-oriented clerics were planning to do. Ut oh. :smirk

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2009, 05:38:03 PM »
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2009, 06:07:59 PM »
While we are on this topic, perhaps we can start detailing how a cleric is expected to fare in combat from 1st to 20th lv?

1st lv: (Assuming 25-point buy)
Dwarf cleric1 (hp:11)
Str14, Dex11, Con16, Int10, Wis15, Cha6
Saves: Fort+5, Reflex+0, Will+4
Skills: max out concentration and knowledge: religion
Feats: not sure (quite a number of viable choices, lets settle on improved initiative for now), weapon focus(b)
Domains: strength (good spells), war (free weapon focus/prof with decent weapon).
AC: 16 (Base10, +4scalemail, +2heavy shield)
Damage: +3 (+2str, +1focus), 1d8+2
Spells prepared: enlarge person, bless, divine favour

Combat: Attack doesn't seem that great, so we will need to boost that with judicious uses of charging and flanking (ready your attack for when your ally flanks if need be). This can improve to +7, or +8 when you get a masterwork weapon/cast bless or divine favour, or +9 with both.

That's a funny cleric. I see sword and board on a character with over 14 Str. Look, just make a few backup characters and ignore AC.

But yeah, clerics suck at Lvl 1.They need to keep shooting themselves in the foot to NOT shoot themselves in the foot, later.
Druids are much stronger at low level, because at that level it's not them doing the fighting.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2009, 09:47:11 PM »
Well, I've been running a high-powered game with a DMM: Persist cleric as a player, so I figured I would contribute to the discussion on how well they play.  The campaign is set in Dragonlance, as an evil party working for the dragonarmy at the start of the Chronicles series.  He is the only powerful cleric of Sargonnas in the world, and his goal is to prevent Hiddukkel from creating his own clergy or entering the world.

It's worth noting that there is a low-level game with this build and a high level one as well (same players, different stories and characters), but he hasn't played it from 5th-11th level.

Here's his build:
[spoiler]
Michael, the Lone Cleric of Sargonnas
LE Human Cleric 13 of Sargonnas

Stats: (Yeah...his rolls kinda sucked...)
Str: 14
Dex: 10
Con: 14
Int: 8
Wis: 16
Cha: 14

Domains:
Destruction, Strength

Persisted spells: Divine Power, Righteous Might

Feats:
1st human: Extend Spell
1st char: Persist Spell
3rd char: DMM: Persist
6th char: Extra Turning
9th char: Extra Turning
12th char:  Extra Turning

[/spoiler]

1st level: he was the party tank, but dealt really poor damage (sword+board with a 14 strength).  Lots of near-deaths and a poor initiative check forced him to spend most rounds either bleeding to death or stabilizing the wizard or sorcerer.
2nd level: rolled a 1 for HP, and pretty much spent the adventure tanking and healing himself.  I rolled poorly all night, leaving him feeling totally awesome about his tanking. 
3rd level: rolled a 2 for HP, but got himself some full plate, so he did pretty well as a tank this adventure.  A barbarian joined for this adventure, so he didn't have as much pressure. 
4th level: cried as he rolled another 1 for HP, and got knocked unconscious in all 3 combats within 1-2 rounds.  Contemplated going crusader.
5th level: nothing special as I can recall, except that his magic circle against evil saved the party's butt's against an enchanter and made him really happy.
12th level: everyone else in the party was a divine or arcane gish, so his damage and tanking was basically on par with the other players.  He dominated one encounter with a blade barrier, but otherwise didn't stand out too much.
13th level: nearly died in a solo fight against a mounted archer, but then later 1-shotted the BBEG at the end of the dungeon with a Harm spell followed by a full attack with the belt of battle. 

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2009, 10:26:15 PM »
That's a funny cleric. I see sword and board on a character with over 14 Str. Look, just make a few backup characters and ignore AC.

I used sword and board because with 14str, the improvement in damage from wielding a weapon 2-handed is just +1damage, and the cleric lacks the proficiency to wield the better 2-handed weapons without having to waste a feat. Unlike the barb, I don't have excess bab to sac to power attack yet, so the benefits of going 2HFing is fairly minimal. Thus, the +2 AC from a shield seems far more attractive at this juncture.

Perhaps, but it has always irritated me how every discussion on how to make a viable cleric fighter eventually boils down to DMM: persisted divine power/favour. This is just begging for the DM to ban them outright (even if it is just a knee-jerk reaction). I never did like those feats anyways, and I do believe the cleric is versatile enough to survive without having to rely on those 2 abilities.

Because scribing a 1st lv scroll costs just 12.5gp and 1xp, I feel it is more economical than actually buying them (and with any luck, your DM won't enforce the 1 scroll/day restriction by allowing the wizard to scribe multiple spells on the same scroll).

Granted, at higher lvs (lv10+), the cleric has enough slots to sustain divine power+quickened divine favour each fight (thus putting him on par with a fighter), and at lv13, he can cast a persistant divine favour at the start of each day. But I am interested in seeing how he fares up to then. However, I am not sure if this is the most efficient or effective use of his slots either. He seems fairly reliant on his buffs, and without persist, he has to spend precious time during combat buffing.

Was buffing during combat never a problem for any of you? I ask because I have no experience with high lv melee clerics whatsoever, and thus have zero idea about their viability beyond what I have read on the boards thus far. So I wonder if I am overlooking something... :blush

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2009, 10:44:53 PM »
I used sword and board because with 14str, the improvement in damage from wielding a weapon 2-handed is just +1damage, and the cleric lacks the proficiency to wield the better 2-handed weapons without having to waste a feat.
Right, there really only IS the longspear.... and true about the PA. However, the weapon and the shield should stay mundane until level 7 at least, when you might start power-attacking, and would want a two-handed weapon.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2009, 11:25:59 PM »
I love DMM persist. With enough investment into the ability, you can make all your dreams come true with divine metamagic. I happen to like DMM chained spells, and Persisted Righteous Wrath of the Faithful. It's not really unbalanced as long as you don't abuse it, such as the Greater Consumptive Field.

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2009, 12:27:55 AM »
Right, there really only IS the longspear.... and true about the PA. However, the weapon and the shield should stay mundane until level 7 at least, when you might start power-attacking, and would want a two-handed weapon.

Well, at 1d6+1.5str mod (3 at 1st lv, unless you decide to go half-orc or something), it really isn't any better than 1d8+2 (though the reach is very nice in tandem with enlarge person). Same for the quarterstaff. Plus, 1d8 scales to 2d6 when enlarged, while 1d6 only improves to 1d8. And I can always wield my warhammer 2-handed if necessary (I doubt I will have the feats to spare for jovar prof anyways).

Unless you want cleave, I feel PA can definitely wait until mid lvs.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2009, 12:51:44 AM »
Perhaps, but it has always irritated me how every discussion on how to make a viable cleric fighter eventually boils down to DMM: persisted divine power/favour. This is just begging for the DM to ban them outright (even if it is just a knee-jerk reaction). I never did like those feats anyways, and I do believe the cleric is versatile enough to survive without having to rely on those 2 abilities.
I do agree that they are versatile enough to survive without those abilities. That doesn't make it "more reasonable."

Because scribing a 1st lv scroll costs just 12.5gp and 1xp, I feel it is more economical than actually buying them (and with any luck, your DM won't enforce the 1 scroll/day restriction by allowing the wizard to scribe multiple spells on the same scroll).
Sorry, but saying banning DMM is balanced but hoping your DM allows you to break balancing restrictions reeks of bias.

Granted, at higher lvs (lv10+), the cleric has enough slots to sustain divine power+quickened divine favour each fight (thus putting him on par with a fighter), and at lv13, he can cast a persistant divine favour at the start of each day. But I am interested in seeing how he fares up to then. However, I am not sure if this is the most efficient or effective use of his slots either. He seems fairly reliant on his buffs, and without persist, he has to spend precious time during combat buffing.

Was buffing during combat never a problem for any of you? I ask because I have no experience with high lv melee clerics whatsoever, and thus have zero idea about their viability beyond what I have read on the boards thus far. So I wonder if I am overlooking something... :blush
Besides house rules, actual campaigns have a lot to do with how effective classes (including the cleric) can be. If you're dungeon crawling, it's easy to be very efficient about it. If you're constantly ambushed, it's much harder.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook