Author Topic: Two classes and one feat: or how to optimize Mystic Theurge early entry.  (Read 8609 times)

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email

Uh... I don't get what you're saying there. The quote seems to say that you DO get those higher level spells known, so arguably you don't even need Heighten spell to get a spell to cast. It all depends how you interpret "get access".

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing

Uh... I don't get what you're saying there. The quote seems to say that you DO get those higher level spells known, so arguably you don't even need Heighten spell to get a spell to cast. It all depends how you interpret "get access".

But heighten, by increasing how the spell's level is calculated, is on a much better RAW footing.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Hazren

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
I like the bard1/ Sorcerer1/ Favoured Soul 1/ MT 7/ Fochlucan Lyrist 10, Straight up one stat spell progression. Start off with Versital spell caster, will even come in handy later on in game, Hiegthen spell will nee to go bye bye tho. Just pick up a ring of evasion and have the bard learn druidic.

Feats
1:Versital Spell Caster
1:Heighten Spell ((Retrain in maximised spell) Check out my sign for hwat has been done)
3:Spell Focus: Necromancy 
6:Metamagic School Focus
9: ARCANE PREPARATION
12:Delay Spell
15:Split Ray
18:Twin Spell

Assuming a 23Cha by Level 20 you would get 14x 0 level, 16 x 1st level, 16 x 2nd level, 14 x 3rd Level, 14 x 4th level, 14x 5th level, 14 x 6th level, 12 x 7th level, 12 x 8th level and 6 x 9th level spells PER DAY Or in a nut shell 116 spells perday that aren't locked in like a wizards or clerics.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 02:24:52 AM by Hazren »
"My solution way too often is to press the red button and see the world burn, which brings us back to the fiery pits of Hell..."
Tshern

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
You can use Dread Necromancer or Beguiler too.
Versatile Spellcaster (RoDr pg 101) is applicable to any spontaneous caster
you still need the 6 ranks in know(arcane) and know(religion) which you can't get until 3rd level.
Um don't druids and clerics count because of their subset of spontaneous casting? Or wizards with some divination shenanigans too?
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
You can use Dread Necromancer or Beguiler too.
Versatile Spellcaster (RoDr pg 101) is applicable to any spontaneous caster
you still need the 6 ranks in know(arcane) and know(religion) which you can't get until 3rd level.
Um don't druids and clerics count because of their subset of spontaneous casting? Or wizards with some divination shenanigans too?

First I've heard of it.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder

Hmmm. I suppose there IS a case for it.

However, I'm not sure all DMs would let it fly.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
You mean, I could combine 2 1st Level Druidspells prepared and Versatile Spellcaster myself a Summon Natures Ally II at CL 1?
Pretty useless, since it only lasts CL/rounds :rollseyes
But does it count as a spontaeously cast 2nd Level Spell to use for early Entry shenanigans?

My interpretation would be:
- You can't use convert prepared spells with Versatile Spellcaster, you need spellslots(e.g. be a spontaneous caster).
- If you can't normally cast a spell, you can't cast it using Versatile Spellcaster either(FAQ only ever mentions extended shield, 1st Level Spell + 1 Level of Metamagic applied).
Am I wrong on one or both accounts?

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
Prepared casters have spell slots too.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson