Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer, Part III, The Reckoning  (Read 136419 times)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer, Part III, The Reckoning
« Reply #760 on: June 23, 2009, 01:12:27 AM »
Q234: What are some really good spells to apply the living spell template to for combat?  Can't do anything with XP components, unfortunately...
I would think cloudkill would be awesome, but I think there's already one with cloudkill combined with something else in the ECS.  Someone once made a joke about a mass Cure Light Wounds spell that chases undead around the Mournland, trying to kill them with curing.
Are there any spells that are really good but hard to land?  Aside from transcend mortality and irresistible dance, of course.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #761 on: June 23, 2009, 01:23:56 AM »
Geas, but it's not an AoE.

Pyrefox

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #762 on: June 23, 2009, 01:26:17 AM »
A/Q 234. Is it possible to have Living Bestow Curse?

Q 235. Which kind of action does a Shadow Jump take?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 03:04:27 AM by Pyrefox »

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #763 on: June 23, 2009, 08:34:56 AM »
Someone once made a joke about a mass Cure Light Wounds spell that chases undead around the Mournland, trying to kill them with curing.

BRILLIANT!

bigdaddy843

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #764 on: June 23, 2009, 11:09:19 AM »
Q236
Hi. What are some recommended large sized creatures for players? preferably with LA+1, but feel free to mention all notables. Thank you very much.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #765 on: June 23, 2009, 11:23:24 AM »
Q236
Hi. What are some recommended large sized creatures for players? preferably with LA+1, but feel free to mention all notables. Thank you very much.
A 236

Half-Minotaur from some Dragon mag (I forget which, 313 according to ck), a template, is cheesetastic at +1 LA. It increases the size of the creature it's applied to by 1 category if it's Medium or smaller, and would thus also grants all bonuses inherent to increasing size, such as... wait for it... +8 Str. I recommend Water Orc (Unearthed Arcana+Monster Manual; SRD) for neat Str and Con stacking. It also gets Scent, which is nice.
The next lowest LA that comes to mind would belong to Half-Ogre, which is +2 as of Races of Destiny.

Also notable are two LA +1 races that get Powerful Build and thus count as Large for the purpose of wielding weapons and size-based bonuses to opposed checks, namely Half-Giant (Expanded Psionics Handbook; SRD) and Goliath (Races of Stone).
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 11:32:13 AM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

bigdaddy843

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #766 on: June 23, 2009, 11:49:29 AM »
Q 237

What are the ways to avoid AOOs and how do you circumvent those ways? (ie. how to counteract poeple avoiding your AOOs). Thank you.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #767 on: June 23, 2009, 12:10:08 PM »
Q 237

What are the ways to avoid AOOs and how do you circumvent those ways? (ie. how to counteract poeple avoiding your AOOs). Thank you.
A 237

The easiest ways to counteract AoOs would be a meek DC 15 Concentration check (cast defensively) for spellcasting/manifesting, or a similarly difficult Tumble check for moving. There's also the 5-ft. step.
Casting defensively can be counteracted with the feat Mage Slayer from Complete Arcane, whereas 5-ft. steps are best dealt with using the Thicket of Blades stance from Tome of Battle. I can't think of anything to help against Tumble checks offhand, other than using terrain to increase the DC (and even then, it would still be trivially easy for anyone even moderately dedicated).
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

bigdaddy843

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #768 on: June 23, 2009, 12:33:05 PM »
Q 237

A 237

The easiest ways to counteract AoOs would be a meek DC 15 Concentration check (cast defensively) for spellcasting/manifesting, or a similarly difficult Tumble check for moving. There's also the 5-ft. step.
Casting defensively can be counteracted with the feat Mage Slayer from Complete Arcane, whereas 5-ft. steps are best dealt with using the Thicket of Blades stance from Tome of Battle. I can't think of anything to help against Tumble checks offhand, other than using terrain to increase the DC (and even then, it would still be trivially easy for anyone even moderately dedicated).

Q 238
What about direct counteractions like combat reflexes or some rogue feat/class feature that makes people immune to AOOs.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #769 on: June 23, 2009, 01:12:10 PM »
Q 237

A 237

Q 238
What about direct counteractions like combat reflexes or some rogue feat/class feature that makes people immune to AOOs.
A 238

Combat Reflexes doesn't make you immune to AoOs, nor does it allow you to AoO people who are immune to them. It does circumvent your inability to make AoOs while flat-footed. Come to think of it, that's another good way to avoid AoOs: Making your opponents flat-footed or being invisible to them, since they can't attack you if they don't know you're there. This can be foiled, as noted before, by Combat Reflexes, or True Seeing for invisibility and the like.
I don't know of any feature/feat that would make you outright immune to taking AoOs off the top of my head, barring methods that also apply to regular attacks.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #770 on: June 23, 2009, 02:13:30 PM »
Also notable are two LA +1 races that get Powerful Build and thus count as Large for the purpose of wielding weapons and size-based bonuses to opposed checks, namely Half-Giant (Expanded Psionics Handbook; SRD) and Goliath (Races of Stone).
Also Eniko from Secrets of Sarlona.  I forget what their stat mods are though (they aren't as awesome as a Goliath's).
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #771 on: June 23, 2009, 02:34:03 PM »
Also Eniko from Secrets of Sarlona.  I forget what their stat mods are though (they aren't as awesome as a Goliath's).
Huh. I didn't know there was actually a race in SoS.
However, I cannot possibly take a race with the same name as a little cat pokémon (in German, anyway - I think it's called Skitty in English) seriously in any way.

For reference, their stas are +2 Str, -2 Dex, +2 Con, -2 Cha.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #772 on: June 23, 2009, 06:00:16 PM »
Q239) What ways are there to pick up a symbiont other than tracking down the nasty beastie?  I know there's impure prince, but what else?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #773 on: June 23, 2009, 06:09:29 PM »
Q239) What ways are there to pick up a symbiont other than tracking down the nasty beastie?  I know there's impure prince, but what else?
A 239

Being a Daelkyr Halfblood and asking the DM nicely are the only two other methods that come to mind.

dither

• Hong Kong
  • Breaking the ninth wall
« Reply #774 on: June 23, 2009, 06:17:06 PM »

-239) I've often wondered this myself. There's a spell in Lords of Madness that could help: detect aberration. Also, the organizations dedicated to hunting aberrations would probably have some info on where the beasties lair. You can use detect undead to help track down the couple undead symbionts that exist. It might be possible to summon and/or use planar binding to call some of the outsiders, and you could almost certainly wish for one, following the rules for "symbionts as treasure" in Magic of Eberron.

Mostly, I imagine you invest as many skill ranks as you can in skills like Knowledge (arcana), (dungeoneering), and (the planes) as you can, and try to get a reasonable DM who's willing to work with you to get the symbiont you want. Happy hunting!
"Stuck between a rogue and a bard place."

vanity
Read my webcomic!
Dither's Amazing Changing Avatars

[spoiler]
Quote from: Shadowhunter
Quote from: Flay Crimsonwind
"Vegeta! What does the scouter say about Dither's power level?"
It's over nine thousand!

Quote from: Bauglir
Quote from: Anklebite
Quote from: dither
Well blow me down! :P
A SECTION OF THE CAVERN HAS COLLAPSED!
dither, Miner, has died after colliding with an obstacle!
[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #775 on: June 24, 2009, 12:02:46 PM »
Q240: Are there any feats and/or cheap (LA +1 or less) templates that increase your base land speed?

Preferribly ones useable by a creature of the Animal or Dragon type.

Thanks in advance :)
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #776 on: June 24, 2009, 12:08:34 PM »
Q240: Are there any feats and/or cheap (LA +1 or less) templates that increase your base land speed?

Preferribly ones useable by a creature of the Animal or Dragon type.

Thanks in advance :)
A 240

Right off the top of my head: Dark increases all of a creature's movement types by 10 feet.

Half-Minotaur and Half-Ogre do the same (but only for land speed) if the base creature is Medium or Small, but they're not applicable to Animals or Dragons IIRC.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #777 on: June 24, 2009, 12:35:21 PM »
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #778 on: June 24, 2009, 12:44:41 PM »
Q 241

Are there any templates (it has to be a template) that give +4 Cha or more for +1 LA? Preferably stuff that can be applied to a Warforged.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #779 on: June 24, 2009, 01:00:43 PM »
A241: Well, you could combine Draconic and Magic-Blooded I think...