Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer, Part III, The Reckoning  (Read 136420 times)

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer, Part III, The Reckoning
« Reply #680 on: June 18, 2009, 03:15:42 AM »
A 213: Even better, take an incorporeal monster that has an ability drain (not damage) or energy drain and give it a reach weapon with the necrotic focus enhancement (Libris Mortis).
This weapon would also need to be a Ghost Touch weapon, would it not?

Q 215: Libris Mortis, page 141, discussion of incorporealness, states:

"Nonmagical attacks made by an incorporeal creature with a melee weapon have no effect on corporeal targets, and any melee attack an incorporeal creature makes with a magic weapon against a corporeal target has a 50% miss chance, except for attacks it makes with a ghost touch weapon...

... Incorporeal creatures must deal with the same sorts of limitations on their ability to deal damage to corporeal targets as corporeal attacks do when fighting incorporeal foes."

The mention of "melee weapon" in that rules text doesn't refer to an incorporeal creature's natural touch attacks, does it?  For example, a spectre's energy draining touch attack doesn't suffer a 50% miss chance against corporeal foes, does it?  That text is only referring to if the spectre was wielding an incorporeal sword, or the like, correct?
Hmm, I never knew that about incorporeals suffering from the miss chance (the MM/SRD doesn't mention this, but I guess it was updated in MM3/LM). The wording is fuzzy though, I could see a DM ruling either way regarding natural weapons. Personally, I would say that the natural attacks don't suffer from the miss chance.

edit: so get yourself a ghost touch necrotic focus weapon, and some means to get blindsight or other extrasensory ability. Hmm, an undead warblade/bloodstorm blade chucking energy draining weapons through the wall could be fun. Good thing I'm not DMing any encounters soon :D
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 03:18:17 AM by Surreal »
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #681 on: June 18, 2009, 03:26:28 AM »
Q 218a: Where can I find the exploding shuriken item I keep hearing so much about?

Q 218b: Would the explosive damage scale up with size?

A218: Explosive is a weapon enchantment on page 134 of Complete Warrior. +3 for ranged weapons. It would not scale with size; it is a flat 2d4 damage.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #682 on: June 18, 2009, 03:56:21 AM »
Q 218a: Where can I find the exploding shuriken item I keep hearing so much about?

A218: Explosive is a weapon enchantment on page 134 of Complete Warrior. +3 for ranged weapons. It would not scale with size; it is a flat 2d4 damage.

if I got returning also added to it, would I get it back whole, or in shrapnel form?
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #683 on: June 18, 2009, 04:08:15 AM »

if I got returning also added to it, would I get it back whole, or in shrapnel form?
Probably as shrapnel... which is why you should have it made from Aurorum :D
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #684 on: June 18, 2009, 05:03:35 AM »
Don't incorporeal creatures wink out in an AMF?
Only incorporeal undead.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Archmage Joda

• Bi-Curious George
  • Parenchaaaaaaaaaannn!!!
    • Email
« Reply #685 on: June 18, 2009, 05:55:40 AM »
Q 219 What domains grant Divine Power as a domain spell?
"My advanced brain is far too meaty to be swayed. Plus, it's practically dripping with genius sauce made from a special recipe of 11 herbs and spices" - Black Mage

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #686 on: June 18, 2009, 08:34:47 AM »
A219
Arc 4, Clr 4, Competition 4, Orc 4, Sin-P 4, Vassal of Bahamut 4, War 4
(http://www.imarvintpa.com/DnDLive/FindSpell.php)

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #687 on: June 18, 2009, 10:05:23 AM »
Only incorporeal undead.
Where is this stated in the rules?  It doesn't say anything in the incorporeal subtype.

Not trying to say you're wrong; I've just never seen the text to indicate that happens.  Please enlighten me.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #688 on: June 18, 2009, 10:31:10 AM »
A 213: Sure, but no moreso than a critter with Earth Glide and Spring Attack--and Earth Glide works in an AMF.
I'm assuming the AMF reference is regarding draining SU attacks not working within the AMF?

Q 216: What ways are there to increase the HD level of undead you can "command" via Rebuke Undead?  Heighten Turning increases the highest level of HD you can rebuke, but does not, so far as I can tell, increase your ability to command a higher level undead.

Specifically, I've got a Paladin 1/Blackguard 10; is there any way via feats to allow him to command an undead with 5 HD (his effective cleric level is 8, allowing him to command 4 HD undead).  If not, what would be the best way to increase this character and allow it to command higher level undead?  Just start adding cleric levels?
A 216

Any item that increases your effective level for purposes of turning/rebuking, like Phylactery of Undead Turning.

A 217

The Unnatural Resilience ability of Necropolitans (who are, by definition, intelligent, as the template can be applied only to humanoids or monstrous humanoids), which allows the creature to heal at the same rate a living creature does, seems to imply that this is not normally the case.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Jvirtue55

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #689 on: June 18, 2009, 12:22:50 PM »
Q220

With the feat Versatile Spellcaster RDr 101 You can use two lower-level spell slots to cast a spell one level higher.  If im a dual caster Cleric Sorcerer can I burn my Sorcerer spells to cast cleric spells?

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #690 on: June 18, 2009, 01:34:55 PM »
A 216

Any item that increases your effective level for purposes of turning/rebuking, like Phylactery of Undead Turning.

That phylactery is exactly the type of thing I'm looking for, but I'm not sure it works in this case (or at least, there could be an argument made that it doesn't work), as I want to increase this character's level for Rebuking.  Note:
Phylactery of Undead Turning: This item is a boon to any character able to turn undead, allowing him to do so as if his class level were four levels higher than it actually is.

Moderate necromancy [good]; CL 10th; Craft Wondrous Item, 10th-level cleric; Price 11,000 gp.

One could argue that, sure, "turn undead" refers to both turning and rebuking, but the fact that the item is "good" would seem to indicate it doesn't apply for rebuking.  Thoughts?

And thanks for pointing me toward the necropolitan - that seems to confirm the interpretation that intelligent do not heal on their own; merely that their intelligence allows them the means to seek out magical healing.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #691 on: June 18, 2009, 01:47:37 PM »
A 216

That phylactery is exactly the type of thing I'm looking for, but I'm not sure it works in this case (or at least, there could be an argument made that it doesn't work), as I want to increase this character's level for Rebuking.  Note:
Phylactery of Undead Turning: This item is a boon to any character able to turn undead, allowing him to do so as if his class level were four levels higher than it actually is.

Moderate necromancy [good]; CL 10th; Craft Wondrous Item, 10th-level cleric; Price 11,000 gp.

One could argue that, sure, "turn undead" refers to both turning and rebuking, but the fact that the item is "good" would seem to indicate it doesn't apply for rebuking.  Thoughts?

And thanks for pointing me toward the necropolitan - that seems to confirm the interpretation that intelligent do not heal on their own; merely that their intelligence allows them the means to seek out magical healing.
In that case, just reflavor it; there's nothing in terms of mechanics (i.e. a spell prereq) to indicate it should be automatically good. I daresay few DMs will have a problem with creating an equivalent evil item. Failing that, there's also the Scepter of the Netherworld from the MIC, which explicitly gives the bonus on rebuking as well (and isn't [good] or [evil]).
The Icon of Ravenloft (Expedition to Castle Ravenloft) is, ironically, neither good nor evil as well, although it gives an additional benefit to good characters.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 01:51:17 PM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #692 on: June 18, 2009, 01:48:30 PM »
Q221: What are the best ways to get specific spells as SLAs, preferrably usable at-will?
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #693 on: June 18, 2009, 02:27:16 PM »
Only incorporeal undead.
Where is this stated in the rules?  It doesn't say anything in the incorporeal subtype.

Not trying to say you're wrong; I've just never seen the text to indicate that happens.  Please enlighten me.
AMF spell description
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #694 on: June 18, 2009, 03:00:45 PM »
A 213: Sure, but no moreso than a critter with Earth Glide and Spring Attack--and Earth Glide works in an AMF.
I'm assuming the AMF reference is regarding draining SU attacks not working within the AMF?

Well, that, and the fact that an AMF completely shuts down incorporeal undead.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #695 on: June 18, 2009, 08:37:44 PM »
Q 222: Whats the LA of dryad, giving the extreme limitation of the Tree Dependent (SU)?
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #696 on: June 18, 2009, 08:53:37 PM »
A222: It's totally DM dependant, and unsuitable for PC's because of the extreme limitation. Your DM will not let you play a Dryad, since he want's to do other things, rather than stay in a 200 yard area of your tree. If you're the DM, who cares?

Seriously though, I would say a +2, if you can get a way to carry the tree around with you. Mostly because of the entangle at-will SLA. Ability Modifiers would probably be +2 Dex, +2 Int, +2 Wis, +4 Cha. Maybe have the oak planted into the deck of a ship, then have it act as a mast.
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #697 on: June 18, 2009, 08:56:17 PM »
A222: It's totally DM dependant, and unsuitable for PC's because of the extreme limitation. Your DM will not let you play a Dryad, since he want's to do other things, rather than stay in a 200 yard area of your tree. If you're the DM, who cares?

Seriously though, I would say a +2, if you can get a way to carry the tree around with you. Mostly because of the entangle at-will SLA. Ability Modifiers would probably be +2 Dex, +2 Int, +2 Wis, +4 Cha. Maybe have the oak planted into the deck of a ship, then have it act as a mast.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #698 on: June 18, 2009, 08:58:12 PM »

Sounds reasonable, and I was thinking Shrink Item to transport the oak around...

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #699 on: June 18, 2009, 09:25:50 PM »
Q212: Can a warforged use grafts?
A212: Yes
Q223: Where does it say that (I need to be able to justify it to my DM)?