Author Topic: Psionic Lion's Charge And YOU.  (Read 9818 times)

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Psionic Lion's Charge And YOU.
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2009, 07:26:55 PM »
Except that psionic lion's charge grants you both a charge and a full attack action (that must be executed at some point during the charge), which changes the rules regarding charges and full attacks.

Sorry, doesn't hold up.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2009, 07:53:07 PM »
Duration: Instantaneous
TO-version is: Look Ma, I can do this over and over.

Can a Delayed Swift Action happen in the Middle of a Standard or Full action?
If yes, that'd be the legit yes.
As usual, a better edit / psi-x-translation would'a helped.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2009, 09:35:32 PM »
"Movement during a Charge: You must move before you attack, not after."

The power doesn't rewrite that rule. ;)
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2009, 09:39:41 PM »
I think I agree with SDK. You have to move as step one. Then step two you make one attack. Now the conditions for charge have been met and other abilities can trigger off that (psionic lion's charge, barbarian pounce, etc). So at best, you're getting 2-3 full attacks at the end of a double move+attack.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2009, 10:14:07 PM »
I think I agree with SDK. You have to move as step one. Then step two you make one attack. Now the conditions for charge have been met and other abilities can trigger off that (psionic lion's charge, barbarian pounce, etc). So at best, you're getting 2-3 full attacks at the end of a double move+attack.
Even still... Even if you're right...thats pretty damn cool for 3pp.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Optimator

• Bi-Curious George
  • Made Man
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2009, 10:19:58 PM »
Even still... Even if you're right...thats pretty damn cool for 3pp.
Always has been. 

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2009, 10:21:04 PM »
But as I keep saying, psionic lion's charge doesn't trigger "when you finish a charge." It triggers when you manifest it. And it only has an effect on a round wherein you are charging, but it doesn't specify what part of the charge it needs to be manifested on.

RAW, it doesn't prevent you from manifesting it as you start your move, in the middle of your move, or at the end of your move. So long as you take your full attack somewhere during the charge, you've satisfied the conditions of the power's description.

And yes, it does change the rules of a charge, given that normally you cannot full attack and charge during the same round.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2009, 10:31:58 PM »
But as I keep saying, psionic lion's charge doesn't trigger "when you finish a charge." It triggers when you manifest it. And it only has an effect on a round wherein you are charging, but it doesn't specify what part of the charge it needs to be manifested on.

RAW, it doesn't prevent you from manifesting it as you start your move, in the middle of your move, or at the end of your move. So long as you take your full attack somewhere during the charge, you've satisfied the conditions of the power's description.

And yes, it does change the rules of a charge, given that normally you cannot full attack and charge during the same round.

Say, is it written anywhere that you can use a swift action at any point during your turn?

Cuz that would totally bury the debate.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2009, 10:37:57 PM »

Say, is it written anywhere that you can use a swift action at any point during your turn?

Wow... damn you're right
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2009, 10:38:07 PM »
The SRD does say you can manifest a swift action any time you could perform a free action.

So, yes.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2009, 11:12:11 PM »
The movement limitations of charging have not changed. The moment you make an attack, you lose the ability to move, as per my earlier quote: "You must move before attacking, not after."
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2009, 11:18:59 PM »

Wow... damn you're right

Problem solved.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2009, 11:20:40 PM »
The SRD does say you can manifest a swift action any time you could perform a free action.

So, yes.
Ok, so if I'm reading this right, you can still only get two full attacks, one normal one, and one pouncing charge from another source. And IMHO you have to do it in this order, because as soon as you pounce once, and then manifest Lion's charge, the spell does nothing, because all its conditions have already been met. You've executed a charged and done a full attack in the same round. The spell doesn't add anything else. You can't do it again, because it says "in the same round". Only an immediate action maneuver or something like that can add another charge, maybe. But we're pretty deep in the same territory of Battle Jump and Sudden Leap shenanigans, so it's really not any worse, compared to those, IMHO. It only gets bad when you combine the two, maybe.
Now even with the most literal reading of charging this is now:
Make a full attack, then manifest Lion's charge, which now allows you to charge.
Charge, making one attack, and then make a full attack from Lion Totem.

And NOW you get a shaping Lance of Neverending Charge and Great cleave and make more pounces each time the lance triggers on a cleave :). Or maybe there was something else needed, I don't remember exactly. IIRC you need a lot of movement speed for that to work :).

The movement limitations of charging have not changed. The moment you make an attack, you lose the ability to move, as per my earlier quote: "You must move before attacking, not after."
That's what the spell circumvents, IMHO, due to its iffy "in the same round" wording.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2009, 11:31:17 PM »
Um...Brainpiercing...that's what Linked Power is for...manifesting psionic lion's charge again without spending an action.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2009, 12:01:53 AM »

So, yes.
Ok, so if I'm reading this right, you can still only get two full attacks, one normal one, and one pouncing charge from another source. And IMHO you have to do it in this order, because as soon as you pounce once, and then manifest Lion's charge, the spell does nothing, because all its conditions have already been met. You've executed a charged and done a full attack in the same round. The spell doesn't add anything else. You can't do it again, because it says "in the same round". Only an immediate action maneuver or something like that can add another charge, maybe. But we're pretty deep in the same territory of Battle Jump and Sudden Leap shenanigans, so it's really not any worse, compared to those, IMHO. It only gets bad when you combine the two, maybe.
Now even with the most literal reading of charging this is now:
Make a full attack, then manifest Lion's charge, which now allows you to charge.
Charge, making one attack, and then make a full attack from Lion Totem.

And NOW you get a shaping Lance of Neverending Charge and Great cleave and make more pounces each time the lance triggers on a cleave :). Or maybe there was something else needed, I don't remember exactly. IIRC you need a lot of movement speed for that to work :).

That's what the spell circumvents, IMHO, due to its iffy "in the same round" wording.

So... charge, full attack, pounce the next victim?

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2009, 06:20:01 AM »
Actually, I've just found a possible counter-argument for the full thing. Here goes:

1. A Full Attack is not an action you can make separately, it is a continuation of an attack action; You can only choose to make a full attack after making a single attack and normally only if you have the actions available(a lot of ways around the last part--specified exceptions)

2. The only attack action a charge gives you is specified as "after you move". Unless you can generate another attack action during the charge, you can't continue into a full attack.
Except that psionic lion's charge grants you both a charge and a full attack action (that must be executed at some point during the charge), which changes the rules regarding charges and full attacks.

Sorry, doesn't hold up.
"Movement during a Charge: You must move before you attack, not after."

The power doesn't rewrite that rule. ;)

RAW, it doesn't prevent you from manifesting it as you start your move, in the middle of your move, or at the end of your move.
So far SDK is right that the full attack is a continuation of the 1 normal attack that ends a charge.

However can someone check this part: "with the barbarian's pounce ability, grants you another full attack"

Wait 2 forms of pounce stack? What ability does a lion have? 'pounce'
What is the first sentence of this power? "You gain the powerful charging ability of a lion"
And what is that powerful charging ability that a lion has?  ;)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 11:52:13 AM by PlzBreakMyCampaign »
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2009, 06:55:03 AM »
Well... in this case it isn't 2 forms of "pounce".  :P

PLC: doesn't grant pounce. . . and really thats the point. Since there's actually an ability called "pounce" and "pounce" isn't referenced in this power its doing something completely different. Despite the similar wording.
 Although fuctionality speaking yes they would in this case.
Hmm...
Like this: Lion Totem Barb 1, Psiwar "X" lets say 10 for simplicity sake.
1. Charge. 1 attack.
2. Full attack, Which is allowed cause of the pounce = 2 more attacks "Total 3"
3. Activate lions charge: Make a full attack = 2 more attacks "Total 5"
Course realistically you'd activate it first so that the first attacks would get the circumstance bonus as well.
*shrug* is it more complex than that somehow?

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2009, 10:46:44 AM »
You're not even trying to touch RAW at this point. It specifically says
Quote from: SRD
When you charge, you can make a full attack in the same round.
Until you've actually moved 10+ feet and then made an attack, you haven't charged. So both conditions have to be met in order for a charge to have occurred to trigger the power.  So the attack comes AFTER you move.

Course realistically you'd activate it first so that the first attacks would get the circumstance bonus as well.
*shrug* is it more complex than that somehow?
No, it's not. Your example is the best way to perform it, actually. Add in Linked Power and a second manifestation and you should be able to add 2 more attacks in that example.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2009, 11:16:33 AM »
Um...Brainpiercing...that's what Linked Power is for...manifesting psionic lion's charge again without spending an action.
The way it's worded, you actually only need to manifest it once, then you can Reform it. It's instantaneous so you forever gain that ability (you lose the bonus damage, but who cares ?).

(The instantaneous part has been pointed out before.)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 11:19:17 AM by Omen of Peace »
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2009, 12:03:46 PM »
Well, my point was that the power doesn't grant you those actions, it lets you do them. But if you've already taken them then you can't do them again, because it doesn't say "you are granted extra actions in order to..."

If you take the "When" clause literally, you also can't even manifest it after your first full-attack, because that leaves you without a move action.

If you manifest it at some point during your move for the charge, then it grants the ability to do a full-attack after that charge. Now if you want it to stack with Lion Totem you have to even be specific about the order of the pounces. FIRST you have to make the full-attack from the power, then from the pounce ability, because the power has the restriction of "in the same round", and not "after a charge". If you pounce first from totem, that full-attack overlaps with the one the power (due to the wording of the power), granting you nothing else.