Author Topic: GenCon '09  (Read 26714 times)

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
Re: GenCon '09
« Reply #80 on: August 18, 2009, 08:57:35 PM »
I didn't make it either...  :bigeye

wO-_-OdrOw

• Bi-Curious George
  • "I do not exist," we faithfully insist.
    • Facebook
« Reply #81 on: August 18, 2009, 09:08:57 PM »
My hope/expectation is that I've slept with them at their houses enough that I don't count as a "meet."

Exactly.  You're like... real life friend.  I didn't talk about Josh and Zeke either... Though I should... But if I do, I'll totally talk about you and how you were trying to bring us down with not liking Werewolf and Kai had to moo at us to make us shut up.

You mean you'd have to talk about my scientific proof about the poverty of the game design in Are You A Werewolf/Do You Worship Cthlulhu.

I've been stewing about this. I have even more support.

MOOOOOOOOOO!

This.
Mine's been a yard carefully surface-tended, foxes burrowed underground.
<--Warlord CCG, NOT DnD

Robert Bohl

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Misspent Youth
« Reply #82 on: August 18, 2009, 09:17:05 PM »
My hope/expectation is that I've slept with them at their houses enough that I don't count as a "meet."

Exactly.  You're like... real life friend.  I didn't talk about Josh and Zeke either... Though I should... But if I do, I'll totally talk about you and how you were trying to bring us down with not liking Werewolf and Kai had to moo at us to make us shut up.

You mean you'd have to talk about my scientific proof about the poverty of the game design in Are You A Werewolf/Do You Worship Cthlulhu.

I've been stewing about this. I have even more support.

MOOOOOOOOOO!

This.
Touche.

(And by that I mean "touch," you sexy motherfucker.)

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #83 on: August 18, 2009, 10:38:28 PM »
I met a bunch of cool people, too. I won't go into grave details like Meg (mainly because she covered most of it, and I'd feel bad if I forgot someone.) Everyone I met was awesome. :D

I will touch on a couple comments, though. ;)

TheChrisWaits- awesome as always.  Great discussion on panels and such a sweetie.  I still chuckle when I think about the Werewolf game we played and Adam said, "Dude, why are your eyes still open?!" and you hear Chris say innocently, "Because you said "Protectors, open your eyes.".... Oh... oops."  Tiffany I didn't get to talk to enough but seemed like an awesome gal.
I think my favorite moment was a couple games later when someone pointed to him and said "You did it." And he replied, "Did what?" Apparently too innocently, so everyone killed the protector round one.

AfterCrescent- Even funnier and cooler in person.  Shared a room, so got some good, quality time.  Amazing conversation adder to panels and downright awesome person.  Sounds just like Michael Cera which I want to totally exploit somehow.  Loved when we played werewolf and he started giving the instructions and after 30 seconds Adam said, "what a minute, how is it that this guy is better than me already?"
No one has ever told me I sound like him before Josh told you. I'm actually slightly less unhappy with my voice having heard you two say that. If you remember, I never called your voicemail project because I'm not a huge fan of it. :P

Now onto my minor additions:
PI - Even though Woodrow spoiled the surprise of what you look like, I was still surprised. It was great meeting you for the short time, though, as you are vocally exactly what I expected. :P

Robert Bohl - Hilariously awesome person. And I love how unique, simple, and yet awesome his game is. It gets triple props because BimR loves it and is willing to play again. (She doesn't like learning new & complicated games)

Rob Justice (even though that's now actually how it's spelled) - Funny-ass person. Glad he ran a comedic Inspectres game that I got to partake in. He also did an amazing job of running Do You Worship Cthulu even if his balls came out more than anyone expected...
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #84 on: August 18, 2009, 11:19:50 PM »
Not sure what you were expecting, AC...but thanks, I think.

Oh, yes - RB seemed like a cool guy.  Wish I was around to try his game.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #85 on: August 18, 2009, 11:30:39 PM »
I expected GIJoe yelling at me, of course. While the physical image isn't there, the vocal presentation was in full force. ;)
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: August 19, 2009, 12:36:10 AM »
Also met some twitter folk:

StingRay02 Fun to play games with.  Gave me a great "boy clevage" shot for my scavenger hunt.

Gamerfiend- live in the same town and went all the way to Indy to meet

Fezzwick- Awesome dude

AronHead- for an internet drama monger, much more reserved and generally nice guy in person.
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Justice

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Bear Swarm! Podcast
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2009, 12:37:48 AM »
Glad to see my nuts are getting attention here.

Couple things, First I did have underwear on under my shorts. Someone noticed the GIANT hole so I pulled out my balls. There was no slipping, it was all intentional.

Second, you're looking for Matt from the Podgecast and Mike from the Bear Swarm!, Meg. You've got'um/had'um reversed.

Third, I am much quieter in normal day to day life but the weird combination of being around friends who make me comfortable and being around strangers who I don't care what they think about me brings out the more extroverted side of me.

Lastly, I'm glad you guys liked the InSpecters game. It was chaotic as hell and I was afraid people had a bad time. I tried to control it as much as I could but there is only so much you can do with 11 players and 1 game master.

StingRay

• Monkey bussiness
    • Dreams & Dragons
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2009, 12:43:44 AM »
I forgot about the boy cleavage shot.  I may or may not have been well on my way to wasted at the time.

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2009, 12:46:44 AM »
Glad to see my nuts are getting attention here.

Couple things, First I did have underwear on under my shorts. Someone noticed the GIANT hole so I pulled out my balls. There was no slipping, it was all intentional.
First time though was Adam pointing out there may be slippage.  Then it was intentional.  Besides, I like my version better.  Better story.

Second, you're looking for Matt from the Podgecast and Mike from the Bear Swarm!, Meg. You've got'um/had'um reversed.
I was trying to edit and ended up not reading who I was talking about and screwing it up.  I know who's who, just screwed up editing.

Lastly, I'm glad you guys liked the InSpecters game. It was chaotic as hell and I was afraid people had a bad time. I tried to control it as much as I could but there is only so much you can do with 11 players and 1 game master.
I had a lot of fun with the game.  Josh definitely was the loud voice in the game, but was really funny and entertained everyone, so it's all good. 
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

moon_ferret

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2009, 01:01:17 AM »
That's right!  You didn't.  Though you would be a re-meet and I think I got more time with you the first time I met you at V3 then this one.  Though I do think it's funny that Adam did keep trying to introduce me to you.  The boy doesn't introduce me to a soul when I'm in St. Louis, but like 3 times he tried to tell me who you were. 

Still think a fight with you and zombies would've been very Left4Dead and awesome.

And I was carrying a hella bottle of rum.  And ready to use it.  Man, I hated everyone that night.

At least I got to game with you at V3.  I hope people come next year when I have a set schedule and can actually game.  I will even volunteer to play with your baby while you guys go out.

I also look forward another Ladies of the Podge Cast.  That would be fun.

Peaboo

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2009, 01:21:51 AM »
What happens in hotel rooms is most definitely not family friendly. 

It started with Rob from the Bear Swarm wearing shorts with a giant hole in the crotch and no underwear.  This led to ball slippage to which he dialed up by intentional ball exposure.  He sat with his balls hanging free for a significant portion of the evening.

Seeing the attention Rob's balls were getting, Adam from The Podgecast felt the need to prove his manliness and also pulled out his balls the following night.

The best was while we were playing Werewolf, everyone had his/her eyes closed and Adam was the giver.  He said, "Werewolves, open your eyes.... choose a victim... Close your eyes... Seers, open your eyes..." and so on.  All the while he had his pants down and his ass right in some poor guy's face, so everyone who was a role had to work at not laughing and giving away their status when they opened their eyes secretly and saw what was happening.

Brant from the TrapCast utterly failed that that one which made it even funnier. 

Suddnenly I'm not so sad for not getting to Gen Con...

wO-_-OdrOw

• Bi-Curious George
    • Facebook
« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2009, 01:42:45 AM »
Touche.

(And by that I mean "touch," you sexy motherfucker.)

This.

Edit:

Not sure what you were expecting, AC...but thanks, I think.

PI, I expected a 30+ year old white guy with a goatee, clad in ARMY surplus. That's what your e-personality leads one to assume.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 01:45:40 AM by wO-_-OdrOw »
<--Warlord CCG, NOT DnD

StingRay

• Monkey bussiness
    • Dreams & Dragons
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2009, 01:58:23 AM »
What happens in hotel rooms is most definitely not family friendly. 

It started with Rob from the Bear Swarm wearing shorts with a giant hole in the crotch and no underwear.  This led to ball slippage to which he dialed up by intentional ball exposure.  He sat with his balls hanging free for a significant portion of the evening.

Seeing the attention Rob's balls were getting, Adam from The Podgecast felt the need to prove his manliness and also pulled out his balls the following night.

The best was while we were playing Werewolf, everyone had his/her eyes closed and Adam was the giver.  He said, "Werewolves, open your eyes.... choose a victim... Close your eyes... Seers, open your eyes..." and so on.  All the while he had his pants down and his ass right in some poor guy's face, so everyone who was a role had to work at not laughing and giving away their status when they opened their eyes secretly and saw what was happening.

Brant from the TrapCast utterly failed that that one which made it even funnier. 

Suddnenly I'm not so sad for not getting to Gen Con...

Your imagination probably makes Meg's description out to be worse than it really was.  That was my face David had his ass in front of, the bastard, and really, once you've seen Rob's balls for the first time, the various follow up nudity is just window dressing.  GenCon was certainly not less awesome for hotel room antics.

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #94 on: August 19, 2009, 12:57:09 PM »
Got to spend too much time with different men's nutsacks

That's the second or third time this has been brought up.

What's that all about? I thought GenCon was supposed to be at least vaguely family-friendly.

Oh fuck no!  Although fat sweaty nerds are still a majority, there is still an only thinly veiled undercurrent of debauchery and excess.  Granted, I have yet to be invited to any of it, but then again I was married for 3 gencons and was not in a good emotional state for the 4th.  Next year I intend to have a blast.
She hasn't come to crush your bones, nor tear your flesh
She has come to steal your sanity with just one glance

Sacrapos - At First Glance, Eluveitie

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #95 on: August 19, 2009, 01:10:05 PM »
PI, I expected a 30+ year old white guy with a goatee, clad in ARMY surplus. That's what your e-personality leads one to assume.
This. Next time just show up in full camo and start yelling at people. :D
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #96 on: August 19, 2009, 02:37:06 PM »
The people I met/ re-met at GenCon:

[spoiler]BG Folks:
Re-Met:
Kai with her husband Chris: Awesome as always.  We haven't seen this pair in person in... 4 years? but I feel like it both has been longer and no time at all.  Neither have changed- I'm pretty sure Chris's outfits were the same as the last time I saw him, and I always adore spending time with cool chicks, of which Kai is definitely one.  Wish we had more time together or could spend time together outside of the con.  

TheChrisWaits- awesome as always.  Great discussion on panels and such a sweetie.  I still chuckle when I think about the Werewolf game we played and Adam said, "Dude, why are your eyes still open?!" and you hear Chris say innocently, "Because you said "Protectors, open your eyes.".... Oh... oops."  Tiffany I didn't get to talk to enough but seemed like an awesome gal.

Woodrow- awesome as always.  No hotpants this year, but Daisy Dukes on two accounts.  I had a lot of some of the "other" crowd ask me after, "who is that guy?" because Woodrow is so funny in such a deadpan way.  Love it.  Held grapes in front of his crotch so as not to add to the ball exposure.  We all thank him for that.  

Met:
skydragonknight- what's your name again?   :smirk  

AfterCrescent- Even funnier and cooler in person.  Shared a room, so got some good, quality time.  Amazing conversation adder to panels and downright awesome person.  Sounds just like Michael Cera which I want to totally exploit somehow.  Loved when we played werewolf and he started giving the instructions and after 30 seconds Adam said, "what a minute, how is it that this guy is better than me already?"

BobisMyRhino- even cuter in person and downright awesome.  I got to lace up her corset, so total win for me.

Podcasters:
Re-Met:
Adam from The PodgeCast.  Self proclaimed drunken ass all weekend.  Didn't like when attention wavered from him, which wasn't very often due to his loud voice and personality.  In general though, makes hang outs more exciting and is always pushing the envelope, which makes most people squirm which I love to watch.  Good times.

Luke from The PodgeCast.  Awesome, righteous dude even though he pretends like he's not.  But he is, so don't let it fool you.  Organized a scavenger hunt which I loved, so huge kudos.  

Mattfrom The PodgeCast.  Actual drunken ass.

Rob from The BearSwarm.  Took a picture of his balls.  His meeting Zeke was a touching, loving moment which we all got to experience.  I feel like he's a fairly subdued, quiet guy in general, but turns it up to 11 for cons, so I respect that heavily.  

Jenn from TrapCast.  Didn't see a lot of her, but girl drama played a role in the weekend.  I think that's a good thing- there are enough girls now for there to be girl drama.  

Don Dehm
from Pulp Gamer- awesome guy as always.  Want to spend some more time with him at some point.  

Ryan Macklain from many different projects- Hardly got any time with him.  

Met:
Mikefrom Bear Swarm- awesome and scarily smart.  I have a strategy in werewolf/ mafia etc- kill him first because the dude is way too good at that game.  Got totally wasted the first night and it was fun to watch that as an outside observer.

Brant from TrapCast- Total hottie and awesome guy.  Got to have some good conversations, but wish we had more.  Did I mention how hot he is?

George from TrapCast- Next year he should get a hat and a shovel and go in a Garden Gnome costume.  Was surprised at how much of a pussy he is in general, but did take the 2 punches to the stomach pretty well.  Told everyone who would listen that every big guy he met was BG Zeke (they weren't).  Said lots of dumb things, but I totally appreciate the "Hey now, that's girl math!" when I was talking about pregnancy, so that one was at least funny.

Sean from Narrative Control- Awesome awesome dude.  Felt like he was instantly one of our people.  Could talk about fun fluff and very serious topics.  Wish we had more time.  Very tall guy and another hottie.

Justin from Narrative Control- Brant's counterpart.  Didn't get much time with him.

Mags from All Games Considered- I want her to be my new best friend.  One of the nicest people I've ever met and that was having only met her for like 15 seconds.  Incredibly huggable and just an amazing person.  Seriously wish I had her on hand to gripe to and make me feel better.  Wonder if she rents herself out.

Sure I forgot folks, let me know who and I'll fill them in later.[/spoiler]
Ooh!  Ooh!  I was there!  I really enjoyed hanging out with everyone, especially at the panels.

Apologies go out to everyone that actually listened to my story Wed night.  Authorization for that story should come from congress and involve two keys.

Here's my take on Gen Con

Wed: Arrived and stood in line to get badges.  About an hour later we had them and went back to our hotel, but we found that we had been charged twice.  So back to the con center to get refunds/void done and to meet the BGs.  Went to Steak & Shake with everyone; AC and BimR are awesome in person.
Later that night, I managed to get left by the people I drove with, so I ended up crashing on the BGs couch.

Thurs: First day of the con!  I started off panel-hopping and checking out the vendor hall.  I bought the Magic Burner (Luke Crane) on a whim (looks good so far) and found the Rio Grande room, which was awesome.  Awesome as in free food and lots of Dominion.
The BGs panels were fairly highly attended, and it managed to slow a couple of them down :(  But the panels, as a whole, were great.

Friday: Went to one panel, missed the Ennies, and spent most of my time in the vendor hall and the Rio Grande room. 
We jailed our friend for 5 minutes on the charges of General Cowardice, Criminal Pacifism, Conduct unbecoming of a Man, and the Inability to Hold an Opinion; it was pretty funny.

Saturday:  Panels at their finest.  On the Critical Analysis of Games was great, the Reverse Forum went well (if small), and the Media Meet & Greet was a blast.
I got Things We Think About Games (Will Hindmarch, Jeff Tidball), which is a great book, a better bathroom reader, and a sub-par bludgeoning object.  I also got a cool sword-cane.

Sunday:  Roamed the vendor hall until lunch, where we all got together at PF Chang's.  Then started the drive home.
Monday:  Arrived at home at 1:00 AM

adam

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Tech support
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: August 19, 2009, 02:54:58 PM »
Re-Met:
Adam from The PodgeCast.  Self proclaimed drunken ass all weekend.  Didn't like when attention wavered from him, which wasn't very often due to his loud voice and personality.  In general though, makes hang outs more exciting and is always pushing the envelope, which makes most people squirm which I love to watch.  Good times.

Read: Adam is pretty f'n boss.  At least, that's what I read.

Seriously, though, the con was a blast and it wouldn't have been without so many awesome people roaming about.

Dragon Snack

• Curious George
    • Dragon Snack Games and Entertainment
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2009, 06:29:23 PM »
:(

The local Italian Festival was a complete bust for the store (extra hassle for very little return, thanks), I would have rather been at Gen Con (although I'm glad I missed the sackage show).  Thankfully Thursday was ridiculously good (second best day ever at the store), so missing the festivities wasn't a total downer.

Next year, I'll know better than to believe that "thousands" of people will be at Italian Festival...
Visit my Message Boards (they're strangely familiar) and my Blog...

If you look at the entire history of the RPG industry, you'll see the same, long, sad story: a mountain of conventional wisdom, usually backed by selective listening, that leads to a long chain of failed games and bad ideas. - Mike Mearls

wO-_-OdrOw

• Bi-Curious George
    • Facebook
« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2009, 07:22:03 PM »
Dean you were so missed. Between Zeke having to show up late and you being rumored to not be coming at all, I was  :banghead
<--Warlord CCG, NOT DnD