Author Topic: Eberron Druid, looking for options.  (Read 4696 times)

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Eberron Druid, looking for options.
« on: April 21, 2009, 09:01:56 AM »
In Vidar's latest campaign, I'm playing a Half-Elf (deliberate choice) Druid->Heir of Syberis with a Riding Dog at the moment. STR 10, DEX 12, CON 14, INT 14, WIS 18, CHA 14. Pretty much anything is allowed, but I'm actively avoiding the Planar Shephard, so that I don't overshadow the rest of the team. (Illumian Paladin->Boneknight, Orc Half-Earth Elemental Warblade/Barbarian ->Bloodstormblade, a Human Ranger and a Half-Air Elemental Psychic Rogue.
I plan to cast, summon a bit (Augment Summoning; Enhance Elemental) and use my Animal Companion. Wildshape would be a secundary option, mainly for mobility.
I'm planning to take Spell Focus (Conjuration), Augment Summoning, Natural Spell, Heroic Spirit, Quicken Spell, Mark of the Stars. Not sure what to take at lvl 18. Natural Bond maybe.
So, any advice? A cool PrC perhaps? Any feats I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: Eberron Druid, looking for options.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 09:52:31 AM »
* Consider being from Breland. As per Five Nations, p.75, druids from Breland can have magebred companions.
* How are you going to use your AP? How about the Spontaneous Casting feat?
* Also, Dragon Wildshape gives excellent mobility.
* Out of curiousity, which Mark/House did you pick? Halfelves qualify for 2.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 01:14:11 PM »
Well, we are starting in Breland, so that's an excellent suggestion.
We're from house Medani.
Spontaneous Casting sounds good, but Dragon Wildshape is cool as well. Pretty hard choice. Where'd you put either of them in the progression?

Thanks for the suggestions!

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 06:25:20 PM »
I don't know! It's your character :) Spontaneous casting can be first taken at level 9 (as the level 6 feat is occupied); Dragon wildshape can be taken at lvl 12. On the other hand, Heroic Spirit could be handy early to have more action points earlier.

You could save a feat or 2 by omitting SF conjuration & augment summoning, or replacing them by the ashbound feat (+3 luck to hit, double duration), if Ashbound fits your fluff. Or take them all on lvl 1 if you can have flaws...

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 06:28:34 PM »
I think I'll drop SF: Conj/Augment Summong and maybe Enhance Elemental. Dragon Wildshape and Spontaneous spell is a lot better.
Where can Ashbound Summoning be found?

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 07:40:54 PM »
Well, we are starting in Breland, so that's an excellent suggestion.
We're from house Medani.
Spontaneous Casting sounds good, but Dragon Wildshape is cool as well. Pretty hard choice. Where'd you put either of them in the progression?

Thanks for the suggestions!

Dragon Wildshape at 12th, no later. It needs 15 ranks in Knowledge (Nature) and a Wis of 19, so get that first. The bad news is you can only WS into Medium or Small dragons, and you don't get Spellcasting or SLAs from the form. A good idea is to apply the Zorvintaal template from MM5 to whatever type you want to WS into, and then just cherry-pick special abilities from that template.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 07:55:33 PM »
Where can Ashbound Summoning be found?
ECS p 50
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 09:44:58 PM »
ECS has feats that let you wildshape into a displacer beast or have one as an animal companion.  May not be the best option, but I like it.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 01:36:24 AM »
ECS has feats that let you wildshape into a displacer beast or have one as an animal companion.  May not be the best option, but I like it.
It takes two feats to do that though (Beast Totem is a prereq for Beast Shape), which is tough in a feat starved build, and you can only assume that form 1/day (which is a stupid limitation considering it cost you two feats to get there). Of your totem choices though, Displacer Beast is probably the best since that one gives you +4 vs targeted spells.

Hmm, as a random houserule idea, I think this would be a great feat chain to fit in with the shapeshifting druid.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Salt_Crow

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 01:46:29 AM »
Summon Elemental reserve feat from Complete Mage is always handy with a druid :) Free elemental summonings to trigger traps and scout at later levels!

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 04:40:47 AM »
Summon Elemental reserve feat from Complete Mage is always handy with a druid :) Free elemental summonings to trigger traps and scout at later levels!

Or at will Fly speed! Or a free Vacuum Cleaner! Or a Stove!

The uses are unlimited...

[spoiler][/spoiler]

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 08:55:41 AM »
Thanks for all the answers. Why would you take that Reserve feat (Elemental Summoning?) if you can spontaneously cast SNA?

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 09:09:02 AM »
Thanks for all the answers. Why would you take that Reserve feat (Elemental Summoning?) if you can spontaneously cast SNA?
Hmm... just memorize one at your highest level to get the super expendable elemental? But you're right, it sort of doesn't make sense, because you wouldn't normally memorize a summoning spell.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 02:07:42 PM »
I'm pretty sure he can find a way to make use of a completely expendable summons with Earth Glide. :D
Dungeon Bypass Ho!
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 05:30:53 PM »
I'm pretty sure he can find a way to make use of a completely expendable summons with Earth Glide. :D
Dungeon Bypass Ho!

Well, that's the stuff I'm actively trying to avoid. ;)Most of the party thinks that D&D should consist of a Fighter, sword & board, a healing Cleric, a blaster Wizard and a Rogue. Mind you, they aren't opposed to CO (except maybe one), but they simply aren't aware of the intricacies.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 05:40:39 AM »
Heh, in that case, play stupid: Conjure your expendable elemental a few times and let it inefficiently hit things.

THEN fake a bit revelation moment and send it through the wall to scout out the dungeon. If you can act well enough you might be able to pull it off  :rollseyes.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 06:13:47 AM »
Odd, I thought Summon Elemental required you to maintain LoE in addition to the 30ft distance cap. Makes it a bit more useful.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 11:53:11 AM »
Air Elemental summons is also pretty much a flank-o-matic. And an at will Mage Hand with a longer range.
Just keep parking it opposite the rogue and get it to use Aid Another instead of attacking, with it's speed, getting in position shouldn't be more than a trivial problem.
I don't use elementals often enough to know their hitting rate, but any melee rogue would love you for the help.

Finally, theres the use of them to engage in trapfinding and ambush springing. Totally expendable at work again. :D I like using Fire for this though.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Vidar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 12:12:04 PM »
Hmm, as a random houserule idea, I think this would be a great feat chain to fit in with the shapeshifting druid.

I'm all ears for specific suggestions.    :hmm

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 01:32:22 PM »
Odd, I thought Summon Elemental required you to maintain LoE in addition to the 30ft distance cap. Makes it a bit more useful.
I'm not sure, if this is a reply to me then I might be wrong about the LoE issue. I was just looking for a great utility use.