Author Topic: Steam Punk RPGs?  (Read 5410 times)

Elennsar

• Grape ape
  • The Emperor is watching, the Emperor knows.
    • Email
Re: Steam Punk RPGs?
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2008, 01:48:02 AM »
The only thing I can think of is the details.

Not just fluff. But "standard equipment" in the 1880s and the details of steam vs. electricity vs. diesel are different.

That's not to say SotC couldn't (or shouldn't) be used. Just that its not quite just a matter of changing the date and the flavor text.
Faith can move mountains. It still can't deflect bullets.

"Communication with humans." is a cross-class skill for me. Please bear this in mind.

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2008, 05:21:37 AM »

Not just fluff. But "standard equipment" in the 1880s and the details of steam vs. electricity vs. diesel are different.

That's not to say SotC couldn't (or shouldn't) be used. Just that its not quite just a matter of changing the date and the flavor text.

I am guessing you haven't seen SotC then.

It would take 15 minutes to mod.
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

Shoggoth

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2008, 02:33:08 PM »

I am guessing you haven't seen SotC then.

It would take 15 minutes to mod.

Josh is right here, the system for SotC is more abstract than Steam vs. Electricity and equipment lists.  The only equipment list in SotC is an abstract of how much things tend to cost, and the only equipment you ever care about is the stuff that gives you bonuses.  As far as the game is concerned, a gun is a gun is a gun, unless THIS gun is special.  A car is a car is a car, unless THIS car is special.

If you're interested, the SRD for Spirit of the Century is available online for free at http://www.faterpg.com/dl/sotc-srd.html.  Take a look at it, and if you still want to debate about the merits of the system for Steampunk then you can do so with some knowledge.
Still came that eldritch, mocking cry - "Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!" and at last we remembered that the demoniac Shoggoths...had no voice save the imitated accents of their bygone masters.