Author Topic: WotC sues filesharers  (Read 30372 times)

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
Re: WotC sues filesharers
« Reply #120 on: April 20, 2009, 03:34:49 PM »
So he actually burned it?
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #121 on: April 20, 2009, 03:40:57 PM »

Yes. With his own two hands.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Mushroom Ninja

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #122 on: April 20, 2009, 03:46:33 PM »

Wow.  Very well done!  You have done the world a service!   :D

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: April 20, 2009, 03:51:03 PM »

Wow.  Very well done!  You have done the world a service!   :D

:clap

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #124 on: April 20, 2009, 04:02:10 PM »
Naruto's subpar as far as anime goes, but I don't think it's the polar opposite of a good anime like a lot of people say.
Certain observations have led me to believe that some anime fans like to feel "morally superior" by picking something they don't like and ostracizing the hell out of anyone who likes it.

It used to be Pokemon. Now it's Naruto. Let the kids watch their crack show-it'll bring them into the world of anime, they'll get bored of it eventually and move on to more well-written anime in the natural flow of events.

I find that bullying people just alienates them and gives the anime community in general a bad face. Just my opinion though. I'd like to hear other opinions on this because any individual point of view will have it's blindspots.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: April 20, 2009, 04:05:23 PM »
It's not Naruto itself, it's the frothing fanboys that accompany it ;)

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #126 on: April 20, 2009, 04:23:22 PM »

I guess I'm just more subtle than most people. For rabid fanboyism, I'd say "If you like Naruto, then you should try [insert anime here]" as well. Kill the ignorance, save the world. :)

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #127 on: April 20, 2009, 04:33:29 PM »

Pretty much. I could care less about Naruto if it didn't generate such an outrageously high number of fucktards that seem to believe it's the be-all end-all anime. It's popular for some reason, in spite of the fact the main character is an utter retard in an orange jumpsuit (which, by the way, is the same tone of orange as the uniform of street cleaners around here) who believes himself to be a ninja.
Naruto's subpar as far as anime goes, but I don't think it's the polar opposite of a good anime like a lot of people say.
Certain observations have led me to believe that some anime fans like to feel "morally superior" by picking something they don't like and ostracizing the hell out of anyone who likes it.

I can understand how that goes. Used to be that way myself. After a while I learned to tell people that I don't particularly care for something one way or another; Naruto, however, is the only anime that fills me with such loathing that I feel everyone who likes it should be gathered into a cannonball and shot out into the sun.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #128 on: April 20, 2009, 05:02:04 PM »

Pretty much. I could care less about Naruto if it didn't generate such an outrageously high number of fucktards that seem to believe it's the be-all end-all anime. It's popular for some reason, in spite of the fact the main character is an utter retard in an orange jumpsuit (which, by the way, is the same tone of orange as the uniform of street cleaners around here) who believes himself to be a ninja.

I can understand how that goes. Used to be that way myself. After a while I learned to tell people that I don't particularly care for something one way or another; Naruto, however, is the only anime that fills me with such loathing that I feel everyone who likes it should be gathered into a cannonball and shot out into the sun.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FanHaters
That's just silly. Lots of things have young fans - they're dumb because they're young, not because of the show. :p There is no way you can judge a show by the people who like it. If Sunic were here, I'd try to get him to back me up on LOGIC(!), but he'd probably just bash Naruto as well. :P

I've seen some DMs give great praise to Naruto's setting, even if they don't like the story. (As one person put it, "Bleach is a bad story told well, Naruto is a good story told poorly")
And clearly, "ninja" means a different thing in the Narutoverse (something akin to magician/martial artist), the same way "pirate" means a different thing in One Piece (adventurer). They do have actual ninjas as well, but they call them the ANBU.

As for me, I like Naruto. I do not love it. You seem to agree with me on the things I do love.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 05:13:11 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #129 on: April 20, 2009, 05:13:19 PM »
As for me, I like Naruto. I do not, however, love it.
Same here. I like to think I'm not a twelve-year old with braces (got rid of those years ago, thank CoD for that), acne, and a Naruto bandanna spouting bad Japanese. Well, I do spout bad Japanese, but only during Japanese lessons. ;)
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #130 on: April 20, 2009, 05:14:37 PM »
As for me, I like Naruto. I do not, however, love it.
Same here. I like to think I'm not a twelve-year old with braces (got rid of those years ago, thank CoD for that), acne, and a Naruto bandanna spouting bad Japanese. Well, I do spout bad Japanese, but only during Japanese lessons. ;)
And I only spout bad Japanese on that one forum... I've said too much.

When I was a kid, I constantly RPed GodModing characters like Goku, and... Gandalf, oddly. I don't think that makes The Lord of the Rings a shallow book which can only be enjoyed by brain-dead kids. :p
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 05:17:46 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #131 on: April 20, 2009, 05:21:40 PM »

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FanHaters
That's just silly. Lots of things have young fans - they're dumb because they're young, not because of the show. :p There is no way you can judge a show by the people who like it. If Sunic were here, I'd try to get him to back me up on LOGIC(!), but he'd probably just bash Naruto as well. :P

I've seen some DMs give great praise to Naruto's setting, even if they don't like the story. (As one person put it, "Bleach is a bad story told well, Naruto is a good story told poorly")
And clearly, "ninja" means a different thing in the Narutoverse (something akin to magician/martial artist), the same way "pirate" means a different thing in One Piece (adventurer). They do have actual ninjas as well, but they call them the ANBU.

As for me, I like Naruto. I do not, however, love it. You appear to agree with me on the things I do love.

But that's exactly my point, Prime - 80% of the Naruto crowd doesn't even have that excuse.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #132 on: April 20, 2009, 05:57:43 PM »

When I was a kid, I constantly RPed GodModing characters like Goku, and... Gandalf, oddly. I don't think that makes The Lord of the Rings a shallow book which can only be enjoyed by brain-dead kids. :p

That's something that Tolkien did that I liked, but not for the obvious reasons. Gandalf was the focus of power for the good guys and then they got separated from him, leaving you with the feeling of "oh shit, how are mere mortals gonna keep that ring safe?"

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #133 on: April 20, 2009, 06:15:57 PM »

That's something that Tolkien did that I liked, but not for the obvious reasons. Gandalf was the focus of power for the good guys and then they got separated from him, leaving you with the feeling of "oh shit, how are mere mortals gonna keep that ring safe?"

I feel like Gandalf did even more than that. Gandalf was also the library of knowledge of all things magic-related for the Fellowship, particularly the ring itself. While he is undeniably a McGuffin he's one that doesn't get abused and/or ends up doing the whole thing himself, which is for me, the whole merit of Tolkien's work - heavens know it's awfully hard to write a story without a McGuffin, much less if it's what ultimately allows the ending you want to give it...

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

CannibalSmith

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • COBoard Wiki
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: April 20, 2009, 06:45:16 PM »
Gandalf could only cast Light.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #135 on: April 20, 2009, 06:59:00 PM »
Gandalf could only cast Light.

And pyrotechnics.  And Holy Sword.  And Dispel Fear.  And Phantom Steed.  And holly berry bombs.  And Sending. 
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

CannibalSmith

• COBoard Wiki
    • Email
« Reply #136 on: April 21, 2009, 04:34:32 AM »
Let's break it down:
Light - when they enter Mordor(?) (the caves where they meet the balrog)
Light - on his sword, when he fights the balrog
Flare - when he comes back from the dead and dazzles Aragorn(?) (the ranger)
Flare - when he chases away the... undead wyverns(?) in the battle in the third movie

When Sauron(?) drops snow on the party, Gandalf becomes delusional and thinks he's a wizard and can counterspell.

As the movies came out one by one I was like "Gandalf will start casting real spells this time." Alas, that never came. Even in the most epic battle in the third movie he rides out on a horse and chops at orcs with his sword. What the fuck! At least telekinesis some orcs like you did with Sauron! Oh wait, he totally owned you, never mind.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #137 on: April 21, 2009, 05:19:46 AM »
I remember this same conversation of "what level was Gandalf?" in the forum section of an old issue of Dragon mag, which pretty much came to the conclusion that he was a 7th level wizard (2E) in a 3rd level world.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #138 on: April 21, 2009, 05:20:21 AM »
Let's break it down:
Light - when they enter Mordor(?) (the caves where they meet the balrog)
Light - on his sword, when he fights the balrog
Flare - when he comes back from the dead and dazzles Aragorn(?) (the ranger)
Flare - when he chases away the... undead wyverns(?) in the battle in the third movie

When Sauron(?) drops snow on the party, Gandalf becomes delusional and thinks he's a wizard and can counterspell.

As the movies came out one by one I was like "Gandalf will start casting real spells this time." Alas, that never came. Even in the most epic battle in the third movie he rides out on a horse and chops at orcs with his sword. What the fuck! At least telekinesis some orcs like you did with Sauron! Oh wait, he totally owned you, never mind.
that would be the mines of Moria and Saruman.

And hey, as usually, a movie is a poor indication, in the books he doesn't even do the force battle with Saruman in the tower, at least it's never said HOW he battles him.
He can also cast Aura of Fear, anyway, or rather, aura of awe, because it don't work too well on enemies. It's also funny that he can actually do far more, but it's never specified. Like in the fight with the Balrog he SHOULD need some serious mojo up his sleep, but WHAT it is Tolkien keeps for himself.

That being said, Wizards are still unbalanced. Like Gandalf never wears armour, but doesn't get more than scratches nonetheless. So I guess he can also cast Mage Armour or is just a really good melee fighter in addition :). Gandalf the gish, anyone?

CannibalSmith

• COBoard Wiki
    • Email
« Reply #139 on: April 21, 2009, 05:24:25 AM »
but doesn't get more than scratches nonetheless.
What are you talking about. He dies once.