Author Topic: My Monk died and now need another lvl 4 char from TOB  (Read 3073 times)

Khorus

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • TPK FTW!
My Monk died and now need another lvl 4 char from TOB
« on: April 03, 2009, 10:08:46 AM »
I'm wanting to make a sword sage, never messed with manuevers so basically I was looking for suggestions and tactics.

Khorus

• TPK FTW!
Re: My Monk died and now need another lvl 4 char from TOB
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 10:33:07 AM »
I'm reading through it now and desert wind looks like it would be alot of fun, maybe that and shadow hand for sneaky blaster.

The monk I had died from 4 dire wolves eating him. :( lol oh well now I get to try something new.

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
'DnD is not a game; it is a membership in a tribe that I joined long ago.'

Stupidity should be painful!

Khorus

• TPK FTW!
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 11:38:52 AM »
/fail on my part

Any completes TOB, and core (phb, dmg)

Ty For the char sheet gives me an Idea of what they look like.

Khorus

• TPK FTW!
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 11:48:44 AM »
do any of the manuevers heal you? i Been glancing over them and havn't seen one yet.

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 11:52:33 AM »
do any of the manuevers heal you? i Been glancing over them and havn't seen one yet.

There's one or two in the Iron Heart discipline.... but since you are a Swordsage I definitely would go Setting Sun or Shadow Hand... and don't forget the Adaptive Style feat...

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 12:05:44 PM »
SS gets no heals unless he takes feats or dips crusader to get cross discipline techniques.  For playing a SS there are 2 main camps two weapon fighting which allows metric shit tons of damage but puts you at risk since your ac and hp will be lower than most. or drive-bys on your opponent, spring attack for a single maneuver along the way.

I personally like monk2/SS3/Shadow Sun Ninja 10 /SS+5 it is a fun monk styled build but gives you other neat little things to play with and maneuvers.

Warblade and Crusader are good choices as well but normally play a different style than SS. I look at them like this SS=light infantry/guerrilla warfare, Warblade = Standard infantry, Crusader=Kill opponents by exhaustion/pure unadulterated tanking.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Khorus

• TPK FTW!
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 12:13:21 PM »
Ty for the suggestion, (the dm may not let us cross class or prc) reason being we are in a big dungeon and there is no outside influence to give us new abilities. (Mostly to stop the warlock from taking some lvl's of binder) Shadow hand looks good, thinking desert wind + shadow for I step out and vomit excellence, I would like to be able to step into the fray and go ape ****. Thinking the child of shadows might help me do that. I read some where of a manuever that lets you get +2 ac for everytime some one misses you.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 12:18:03 PM »
Okay your maneuvers (obviously) determine what you do. If you want to focus on offense and be primary damage dealer, that's a bit hard, but Stone Dragon, Desert Wind, maybe some Diamond Mind will do it for you. If you want to focus on mobility and winning, Diamond Mind, Setting Sun, Tiger Claw, and Shadow Hand are your best bet. You don't really need to multiclass to be effective.

Also your dm is making a dumb rule. Prestige classes aren't "new abilities" they're just abilities. Why is a SS20 any different from a SS10/Monk4/whatever? Explain to the DM that classes aren't like schools your character has to go to, you can just learn the abilities by fighting and shit.

Khorus

• TPK FTW!
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 12:27:20 PM »
Dude I know I argued it to death with him, the monk wanted to do kensi, or drunken master, or tattoo'd monk what ever he would allow and he was like no. Also he won't allow improved natural attack for amonk either, but has no problem with superior unarmed strike?!

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 12:28:27 PM »
your coming in at lvl4 right? that means you can do all the multiclassing before the character ever gets into the game and just take the PrC while there. Unless he decides you can't take PrCs while in dungeon too.

Is he trying to prevent the warlock from going binder for fear of the perpetual hellfire warlock? if so just have the DM tell him that it won't work the way he wants or that he won't allow the guy to abuse the system like that.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Khorus

• TPK FTW!
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 12:53:25 PM »
Think I'm going to mix desert wind, stone dragon, and shadow techniques. Are there any feats I should take especially for a martial char?

I could mutliclass b4 I get there but he might single me out then lol.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 12:55:58 PM by Khorus »

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 01:16:56 PM »
What is this fear of hellfire warlock going around? Lern 2 gam, pppl! Hellfire Warlock =/= broken, or even necessarily good.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 01:23:09 PM »
Hellfire Warlock+Shape Soulmend+Robilar's Gambit+Karmic Strike = Fun, if you surive the first round of attacks.

Not only do you tet to land a ton of attacks, but Hellfire Shield also lashes out at the enemy.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 01:29:26 PM »
i didn't say that hellfire should be feared, but that is the only reason i could think of for the DM to not want the warlock to go binder.

Khorus

• TPK FTW!
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2009, 02:02:47 PM »
Any suggestions on race? I'd like something with dark vision and maybe a stat bonus to str, dex or wis.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2009, 02:11:15 PM »
are you allowed to take a template? If so i would try and get feral as i find it worked well with a SS i played before. Also Stony creature could work, see the wizards site for template without need for book.

If not 1/2 orc or dwarf from phb provide you some of what you want. I'm not sure how many books you can get your paws into but i'm sure there are plenty that would work. Pixie is the default answer for most things since permanent invisibility and fly are nice.

Bryan_0697

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2009, 02:25:41 PM »

Khorus

• TPK FTW!
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2009, 04:03:17 PM »
I don't know what his reasoning on this is, We have 4-6 people playing and I think he is trying to keep it managable. But no idea, I'll try for the template and put some of this advice to good use. I appreciate the help.

Does human keep his extra feat if he is dragon born?