Author Topic: Battle bard optimization  (Read 12421 times)

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
Re: Battle bard optimization
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2009, 04:29:50 PM »
Yeah, was talking about the Bauriar, should've been more clear about that I guess.
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
Re: JanusJones may have done the work for you!(maybe)
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2009, 04:30:49 PM »
From JanusJones
This is a bardic martial adept build capable of, at 20th level, dealing an extra 12d6 energy damage on all of his attacks - before he adds on martial maneuvers or stances.  Better yet, he's a BARD!
Silverbrow Human: save a feat.

Gloves of the Balanced Hand(Magic Item Compendium p. 105; 8000 gold): gives you TWF or ITWF if you already have TWF.
Save yourself two feats by just taking TWF and using the gloves and don't bother with GTWF(extra attack at -10 isn't worth a feat; there's better ways to get extra attacks, like natural weapons)

It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2009, 04:40:00 PM »
Yeah, was talking about the Bauriar, should've been more clear about that I guess.
LA+1
Outsider type, quadraped, and SR make it pretty nice for its LA.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2009, 04:42:36 PM »
LA+1
Outsider type, quadraped, and SR make it pretty nice for its LA.
Thanks, AC :)
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2009, 05:37:47 PM »
Yes, they actually are another, more good aligned, squad of HarrenDaen'kar.

I liked the Idea, I liked the world, I thought I would try it Table-top.

Good ideas so far guys, keep em comin.

Solo, just a thing, thematically, wands are frowned upon in the campaign, specially arcane spells wands, because of their origin.  Only thing.  Of course it's still possible he uses it, it's just a generally bad idea.

Admiral-Snackbar

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2009, 06:22:47 PM »
Yeah, Knowledge Devotion is a good idea, especially since I can get it for free from the Cloistered Cleric, and Bards have all knowledge skills by default anyways (which is awesome, free knowledge devotion!). That just leaves me with my two other domains and some turn attempts...

I could get the Travel domain and replace it with Travel Devotion, and then just get the Luck Domain and get it over with...

I think the cleric would probably be a better 1 level dip than the Knight, Swordsage or Hexblade... I don't really see how they could give me as much. Swordsage gives me +1 to ini and some maneuvers, but no BAB. Knight gives me pretty much a +1 fighting challenge and a BAB, but probably not as useful as Knowledge Devotion. Hexblade gives me a curse and a BAB... All in all, they seem to be inferior dips than the cleric level.

Warlock and Dragonfire adept are most probably not allowed. Marshal, however, would be a pretty nice dip.

I hadn't thought of Devoted Performer... I think that'd be a pretty sweet perk if I couple that with the Paladin of Freedom variant which would enable me to remain chaotic (for fluff reasons - lawful bards sound lame), and I'd also be immune to compulsion, which will probably be more useful than fear.

So probably right now I'd say that Bard 1/Cloistered Cleric 1/Paladin of Freedom 2/Crusader 3 looks the best.

Thanks for the help. More is always welcome. Foiling Alastar is always a worthy endeavor.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2009, 06:57:16 PM »
Don't forget about the initate of Milil feat that lets paladin and cleric levels stack with bard levels for determining your bardic music abilities

bard1/cloisteredcleric1/paladin5

Feats:
1-able learner, power attack
3-devoted performer
6-initate of milil
paladin4-divine might (from Holy Warrior variant in Complete Champion that trades spellcasting for feats)

Admiral-Snackbar

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2009, 08:09:55 PM »
Not sure the Initiate of Milil feat would actually be useful. One feat for just one more level of bardic music abilities is pretty meh, especially since I only really need my bardic music to be at lvl 3 to get inspire competence.

However, it DOES give me an idea. If I take that feat, I can have three levels of bardic music abilities with Bard 1/Cleric 1/Paladin 1, which would be enough for inspire comp. At that point, I could use that level I gained for dipping one in another class :P

Of course, it's a dip for a feat, so not sure it would be optimal. That second paladin level is useless to me, though, with Divine Grace not stacking with the similar crusader ability.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2009, 07:51:46 AM »
Well, it does help for Fort and Ref, it's just your Will save that doesn't get boosted any further...

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2009, 03:51:54 PM »

Solo, just a thing, thematically, wands are frowned upon in the campaign, specially arcane spells wands, because of their origin.  Only thing.  Of course it's still possible he uses it, it's just a generally bad idea.
Wow. Awesome. If the adventure is different from ours (aside from alignment) Could you do a
 CO Diary:HarrenDaen'kar.
Also since were in the same universe (so to speak) It would be awesome to use our characters as an npc group.
You have my full permision to through Tylunth around all you like  :D Good times.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2009, 04:07:21 PM »

Wow. Awesome. If the adventure is different from ours (aside from alignment) Could you do a
 CO Diary:HarrenDaen'kar.
Also since were in the same universe (so to speak) It would be awesome to use our characters as an npc group.
You have my full permision to through Tylunth around all you like  :D Good times.
If you're interested in M_v's idea I'm fine with you using Ling Ling as well :)

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2009, 07:58:19 PM »
We make for an awesom bar scene lol...
Its odd to imagine a group of paladins in the harren though. I suppose that works too though.
Reminds me of "Dark Avengers" or Stormwatch:Black LOL
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2009, 08:06:48 PM »
I guess not all Harren have to be as ruthless as us :)

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2009, 08:39:52 PM »
Exactly, i figure there are all sorts of people in there :)

I'll think about using you guys as an npc group.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2009, 08:41:01 PM »
Exactly, i figure there are all sorts of people in there :)

I'll think about using you guys as an npc group.

Let us know how that turns out :)

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2009, 09:06:06 PM »

Wand chambers mean that you don't have to be seen carrying a wand around. Just throwing it out there.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2009, 06:24:41 PM »
We make for an awesom bar scene lol...
Its odd to imagine a group of paladins in the harren though. I suppose that works too though.
Reminds me of "Dark Avengers" or Stormwatch:Black LOL

Oh, great, so now I'm Venom. ;)

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2009, 05:09:37 PM »
Oh, btw, I'm starting to put together a reverse the medal game with some other people, in the same world.  My friend asked me to run a newb game for D&D, and I thought I'd set them in the middle of the Keysackra country, in a highly magical environment.  The whole group would be spellcasters of some sort (so far i have an order of the (whatever thing that gets you more magic) ranger and a psion (maybe cerebromancer) others haven't thought about it yet, due to finals).  And I'm planning to have a raid of Harren Daen'kar on a Keysackran outpost to witch they are witnesses when they get level 5-6.

I'll maybe run a Diary of that one too, my game with chuck pretty much died. :)

Yeah, I DM a lot...

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2009, 05:24:38 PM »
Just don't downplay Ling Ling's awesomeness ;)

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2009, 06:59:02 PM »
I'll maybe run a Diary of that one too, my game with chuck pretty much died. :)

:(
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.