Author Topic: High Dex + High Natural Armor forms for Polymorph  (Read 3667 times)

Yves

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
High Dex + High Natural Armor forms for Polymorph
« on: April 01, 2009, 02:17:42 AM »
Hey yall.

I'm playing a 9th level arcane caster and I really need some help for Polymorph forms.  I've seen threads that are geared towards good combat forms for Polymorph, which is fine, but I don't really see my arcane caster going into the thick of melee. 

So far, the best form I've come up with is the Bog Imp, which has 21 dex, +2 natural armor, and is size small for an extra +1 to ac and attack.  Can anyone beat that (I'm sure someone can)?

Note: While I'm not going to say don't post outsider/construct/undead/elemental forms, my character is none of those so forms from the regular list of monster types is what I'm looking for specifically.  Just as a reminder, The new form may be of the same type as the subject or any of the following types: aberration, animal, dragon, fey, giant, humanoid, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, ooze, plant, or vermin.  Oh yeah, now that I look at the list I also want something that can still cast spells (so no oozes, animals, vermin, or aberrations unless they can cast).

« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 02:43:04 AM by Yves »

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
Re: High Dex + High Natural Armor forms for Polymorph
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 02:22:15 AM »
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=758751

That's a quick list of a few. The Roper in particular is worth paying attention to.

Yves

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 02:39:45 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply!  The roper is amazing but he is more of a combat form, something I would cast polymorph on for one of the fighters in the party.

For this thread I want mainly defensive forms with high natural armor to boost AC and with high dexterity to boost AC and ranged touch attacks.  Also the form has to be able to speak and have "hands" that are capable of using somatic components.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 03:57:31 AM »
I think what you are looking for is the Will O'Wisp:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/willOWisp.htm

An AC of 29 (TOUCH 29 too!), with a Dex of 29, and permanent invisibility (as it specifies that the invisibility is a natural ability).  I'm not as sure about the immunity to magic though.  Best of all, they are 9HD, just like you :)

Edit: well the will o'wisp can speak, but would need still spell to cast spells (or rely on non-somatic ones, which mostly suck).  I forgot about that part ^^;;

« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 05:16:25 AM by Akalsaris »

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 04:47:21 AM »
If you're looking for casting forms, the Lammasu can cast spells, so you can probably convince your DM to let you cast while in that form. Failing that, Dragons are definitely able to cast spells, and there are some great dragon forms. Among them, I'd recommend the Mercury Dragon from Dragons of Faerun; 200 (and later 250) foot fly speed (perfect) is incredible. If nobody can reach you, it doesn't matter what your AC is.

Yves

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 04:19:47 PM »
Hm...yeah.  But the Dex is really important for hitting with ranged touch attacks.  My 9th level arcane caster is specializing in ray spells.

Yves

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 01:08:07 AM »
I've decided to take the 5th level spell fiendform to qualify myself for Outsider so I can polymorph into an Avoral.  Avorals are awesome with their 23 dex, +8 natural armor, and they're fly speed.  Only wish there was a non-outsider form that trumps it.

Next one up would be the Kelvezu with a whopping 31 dex and NA of +15.  I'll be looking forward to that form for sure. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 01:13:14 AM by Yves »

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 09:52:51 AM »
Off the top of my head.... pixie?
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 11:43:10 AM »
I know that there's an Outsider with 15 natural armor and a decent dex, with a single hand, so it can cast spells. It's PHB and I think it's called a Rast or something. Avorals are also fantastic.

Yves

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 12:30:21 AM »
Well yeah, I was thinking Pixie, but the Grig is much better because of its tiny size.  But then I saw the Bog Imp which also had a lot of extraordinary attacks to boot.  But really none of those forms even come close to the Avoral and the Kelvezu.