Author Topic: Wizard seeks melee associate; literacy not required.  (Read 3482 times)

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
Wizard seeks melee associate; literacy not required.
« on: March 31, 2009, 08:23:37 AM »
So I'm getting ready to start playing an 8th level GOD-wizard in an Eberron campaign, but the party is somewhat lacking in the melee department.

The party ( all level 8 ) consists of:
- my GOD-BC/buff/debuff wizard
- a Swift Hunter Archer
- a Fire-based Evocation Sorcerer
- a Warlock 6/Binder 2 with Naberius as his default vestige (original thought was to go Hellfire Warlock) with Sickening Blast and Eldrictch Glaive, as well as Combat Reflexes and Stand Still

While the 'Lock can take care of at least some melee, he doesn't have a d10 or d12 HD and great AC to keep it up for a long time, so I was thinking about ways to add some melee-oomph to the party, something that can dish it out and stay in the fray for a decent amount of time without severe risk of biting the dust.

All books are allowed, equipment should be readily available, so no restrictions there.

Things I've though of so far include:
- Leadership
- Lesser Planar Binding
- Start taking levels in Zhentarim Skymage next level (note: I've been toying with the idea of a Zhentarim Skymage with a dragon mount, but I fear that would not only be a bit too much, but I think it wouldn't really work with another player's experience seeing as his character is interested in all things draconic and wants to find out more about her heritage, so just having a dragon in the party seems like it would cheapen the entire experience and character concept...)

So my questions basically amount to:
- Do you guys have any ideas on other options to get a decent Melee addition for the party?
- Do you guys have any ideas on what kind off creature to get with any of these options?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts, tips and ideas :)

~Bowen

« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 03:03:26 PM by BowenSilverclaw »
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Wizard seeks melee associate; literacy not required.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 08:42:32 AM »
Well, a Martial Adept as your Cohort is a good step. A Crusader, since they're generally tougher and you seem to like the idea of a meleetank.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 09:46:32 AM »
4 levels of hexblade wouldn't be a bad idea to make it easier to hit with any spell or invocation with a saving throw and if the party is evil-tolerant then some levels of paladin of tyranny or blackguard would be good too. Throw in a few levels of marshal and you have a nice buffer/debuffer who can tank.

Alternatively since the party is lacking healing then a cleric wouldn't be a bad idea either.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 10:17:41 AM »
Healing is something I can take care of next level with some Polymorph shenanigans (why hello there, mr. Couatl).

As for evil, that's not really a problem.

I thought about a tank with some debuff thrown in, but I'm not sure if that can be made effective enough to matter with only six levels to play with...
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 10:55:07 AM »
Healing is something I can take care of next level with some Polymorph shenanigans (why hello there, mr. Couatl).

As for evil, that's not really a problem.

I thought about a tank with some debuff thrown in, but I'm not sure if that can be made effective enough to matter with only six levels to play with...

You can go Binder 1/Crusader 5. Grab Focalor + reach weapon + Iron Guard's Glare and go to town... or if you like evil stuff Paladin of Tyranny 4/Crusader 2 and grab some divine feats (hey there Law Devotion)...

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 11:02:11 AM »
I like:
Hexblade 4 / Paladin of Tyranny 3 / Binder 2 / Knight of Sacred Seal 5 / Anima Mage 6
for a caster debuffer partner.  Pick Focolor for the patron vestige, and Chupoclops for the second vestige when you can bind it.  Some bennies include:
Hexblade Curse
A net -8 to saves just for being around someone (and using Dark Companion)
Pounce
3rd level Hexblade spells
1 Persistant Spell daily

Requires Weapon Focus and a metamagic (Extend, Persist).  Other choice feats: Power Attack, Imp Bull Rush, Shocktrooper, Leap Attack, Imp Sunder, Combat Brute...

EDIT: Modified to get +16 BAB (loses one level of Anima Mage).
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 12:08:26 PM by jameswilliamogle »

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 11:31:33 AM »
I like a TWF warblade. They get ridiculous damage starting at level 6 (Why look, that's what level you're at!) First feats include Two Weapon Fighting, Combat Reflexes, and maybe Weapon Finesse (though not necessary). Then at level 5 you grab Ironheart Aura, then Stormguard Warrior. THEN you just basically go to town, get extra attacks with, like, +20 extra damage/hit every two rounds. Since it's a Cohort you can say F da Capstone and dip Crusader for Thicket of Blades, use two kusari-gama, forgoe all your AoOs and/or Evasive Reflexes into position and get a ton of bonus damage. This build has a minimum 19 dex requirement, but if you use weapon finesse, pump the hell out of it. Shadow Blade is out because the stances otherwise actually suck.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 01:25:48 PM »
Anyway, some things that sound like fun to include:
-Barbarian 2 (Lion Totem: Pounce; Whirling Frenzy; Wolf Totem: Improved Trip)
-Cleric 1 (Animal Devotion; Law Devotion)
-Warblade x (maneuver goodness, Iron Heart Surge)
-Swordsage 2 (Improved Unarmed Strike; Weapon Focus; Wis to AC)
-Crusader 2 (Indomitable Will; Thicket of Blades)

Int and Cha will likely be dumpstats, so Paladin and Hexblade are kind off out, which rules out a dedicated debuffer as well (and my Wizard has pretty high DCs as is, so that shouldn't be a problem).
I think I'd like to go with a general BC/facesmasher build, just trying to decide on what to fit in...

Currently thinking about a Half-Minotaur Human wielding a Guisarme (keeping it somewhat simple :)):
Bbn 2/Clr 1/Warblade 1/Swordsage 2 (/Crusader 2/Warblade +1)

1) Extra Rage
Power Attack (human)
Combat Reflexes (flaw)
Blind-Fight (flaw)
Stand Still (retrained Evil Devotion feat)

2) Improved Trip (class)

3) Item Familiar
Improved Bull Rush (retrained Iron Will, obtained via Otyugh Hole)
Animal Devotion (Animal Domain)
Law Devotion (Law Domain)

5) Improved Unarmed Strike (class)
Weapon Focus (class)
Leap Attack (retrained Evil Devotion feat)

6) Battle Jump or Mage Slayer

Thicket of Blades at level 8 and Iron Heart Surge at level 9.
And yes, the retraining bit has already been approved :)

Would Mage Slayer (and later on Pierce Magical Concealment/Protection) be worth losing the ability to cast what few Cleric spells I have available? (read: Bless, Divine Favor and Sign as pre-battle buffs)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 03:02:27 PM by BowenSilverclaw »

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 02:37:11 PM »
Would Mage Slayer (and later on Pierce Magical Concealment/Protection) be worth losing the ability to cast what few Cleric spells I have available? (read: Bless, Divine Favor and Sign as pre-battle buffs)
I think so.  PMC is freakin' awesome-sauce, imo.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 03:02:02 PM »
I think I'll go with that then, unless anyone has any better ideas :)

Thanks, guys :)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 03:04:32 PM by BowenSilverclaw »

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 03:51:40 PM »
So that's what you kids call it these days.

I put on my robe and wizard heat.
Must enjoy long dungeon crawls and looting dead bodies by dancing lights. Experience with black tentacles a bonus, but grappling rules not required. Stamina a must; glass cannons need not apply. If interested, please contact via sending to 'uber1337mage_2'...
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 03:53:20 PM »
Hahaha, that was epic Surreal, thanks for the laughs :lmao

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 04:01:21 PM »
...would a feat from 3.0 be alright for your guy?

Edit: [spoiler]Knock-Down [General]

Prerequisites: Base attack bonus +2, Improved Trip, Str 15.

Benefit:
Whenever you deal 10 or more points of damage to your opponent in melee, you make a trip attack as a free action against the same target. [/spoiler]
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 04:04:05 PM by skydragonknight »
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 04:12:32 PM »
Has the feat you just mentioned ever been updated to 3.5, SDK? Wasn't it in Sword and Fist originally?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 04:18:55 PM by BowenSilverclaw »

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 04:19:11 PM »
Sword and Fist and Deities and Demigods both have it. Since it's in D and D, it's in the SRD.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 04:21:13 PM »
Ah, thanks :D

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 06:22:55 PM »
So that's what you kids call it these days.

I put on my robe and wizard heat.
Must enjoy long dungeon crawls and looting dead bodies by dancing lights. Experience with black tentacles a bonus, but grappling rules not required. Stamina a must; glass cannons need not apply. If interested, please contact via sending to 'uber1337mage_2'...

bloodninja:  I meditate to regain my mana, before casting Lvl. 8 Cock of the Infinite.

On-topic, I'd also look into the Malconvoker handbook by Dictuum Mortuum, since it has a list of planar bindable creatures, and planar binding doesn't take up a feat slot like Leadership does.  Plus, you can always take leadership AND bind a hell hound or something, so it's really a win-win for the party.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2009, 07:01:52 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion, I was indeed planning on doing that as well :)

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2009, 06:34:30 AM »
If being an evil bastard isn't an issue, remember to make all the creatures you bind have to report back to you and then dance for 30 seconds, or some other random equally pointless effect. The key here is that they need to hang around after they do what you wanted them to do so you can kill them. This way you can get your money back, plus any loot they may have come with. Bonus points if you can then animate their body and gain another minion that way.

This tactic also conveniently bypasses the whole "the creature might come back to seek revenge" bit about binding.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2009, 09:26:25 AM »
Nice :D