Author Topic: Truly optimizing Invisible Spell.  (Read 7948 times)

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Truly optimizing Invisible Spell.
« on: March 22, 2009, 02:59:01 PM »
Invisible spell is a +0 metamagic feat that makes all visible effects of the spell invisible. I just had this thought over in the thread about defeating an army:
Wizard casts invisibility, casts invisible spell'd caltrops, grease, web... Invisible spell becomes super broken because you can do stuff like invisible spell'd soften earth and stone, invisible spell'd fabricate, make any type of preparations you want, the army runs into it, and they all die. A level 1 warrior can die from a caltrop wound, especially if they are caught flat-footed by them. Then you animate your caltrop army into small animated objects and win the game.

Also, use minor creation (invisibly, of course), to coat your army of animated caltrops with black lotus extract. 1 casting is enough for 1000 doses of the stuff.

So what we have here is an invisible wizard who has technically not taken any harmful actions, with an army of poisoned invisible animate caltrops. Maybe add in some Hunter's Eye and somehow get sneak attack with them (if that's possible).

I dunno if that works, but I think we've only scratched the surface. How broken can you make Invisible spell?

One obvious use is crafting magic items with it. A Holy Avenger can be crafted as an invisible holy avenger by using invisible (that spell that makes materials), invisible fabricate to make it into a sword, and then add invisible to all of the spell effects that go into the Holy Avenger. You now have a completely invisible weapon, at no additional cost. You can obviously craft larger things such as airships and pit traps and Warforged. Yup, a permanently invisible Warforged. Or just create a new invisible body for yourself by paying a caster for an Invisible Clone! Hello, Sneak Attack!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Truly optimizing Invisible Spell.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 03:38:44 PM »
Well, invisible obscuring mist is a big invisible middle finger to anyone with permanent True Seeing. 

Having nonmagical invisible iron via wall of iron is, of course, pure awesome.

Invisible Summon Monster is super easy.

Depending on how it works, invisible raise dead:
Makes you invisible
Makes you look like you're a zombie
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 03:55:13 PM »
Invisible spell is a +0 metamagic feat that makes all visible effects of the spell invisible. I just had this thought over in the thread about defeating an army:
Wizard casts invisibility, casts invisible spell'd caltrops, grease, web... Invisible spell becomes super broken because you can do stuff like invisible spell'd soften earth and stone, invisible spell'd fabricate, make any type of preparations you want, the army runs into it, and they all die. A level 1 warrior can die from a caltrop wound, especially if they are caught flat-footed by them. Then you animate your caltrop army into small animated objects and win the game.

Also, use minor creation (invisibly, of course), to coat your army of animated caltrops with black lotus extract. 1 casting is enough for 1000 doses of the stuff.

So what we have here is an invisible wizard who has technically not taken any harmful actions, with an army of poisoned invisible animate caltrops. Maybe add in some Hunter's Eye and somehow get sneak attack with them (if that's possible).

I dunno if that works, but I think we've only scratched the surface. How broken can you make Invisible spell?

One obvious use is crafting magic items with it. A Holy Avenger can be crafted as an invisible holy avenger by using invisible (that spell that makes materials), invisible fabricate to make it into a sword, and then add invisible to all of the spell effects that go into the Holy Avenger. You now have a completely invisible weapon, at no additional cost. You can obviously craft larger things such as airships and pit traps and Warforged. Yup, a permanently invisible Warforged. Or just create a new invisible body for yourself by paying a caster for an Invisible Clone! Hello, Sneak Attack!

Damn it, now where did I leave my holy avenger again....

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 03:57:31 PM »
Invisible Genesis.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 04:08:38 PM »
Invisible Genesis.

Not only do we have our own demiplane, but we have an invisible demiplane. :awesome:

Tons of uses here. Invisible Light coupled with See Invisibility/True Seeing (though that's really overkill), Invisible Prismatic Wall/Sphere, Invisible ray spells for the spellwarp sniper (ideally coupled with Silent Spell)...

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 04:24:12 PM »
Planetouched Handbook

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 04:26:47 PM »
Wonder Woman build!

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 04:52:15 PM »
the mundane uses alone are great...

ivis wall of iron. + forge = invis armor.. and daggers... and then we have animated invis crossbow turrets..
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 04:56:50 PM »
Cast invisible invisibility on invisible invisible stalkers.

Would true seeing even work on those?
Planetouched Handbook

Rhig

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 05:03:24 PM »
If you're a DM know the party is going to use see invisibility then invisible silent image will make sure that when they see the illusion it wouldn't cross their minds that it's actually an illusion.
What happens when you cast invisible etherealness?

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 05:15:05 PM »
What about Invisible Blindness? Invisible Scrying? Invisible Polymorph? Invisible Animate Object? Invisible Combust?

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 05:18:53 PM »
Invisible Hypnotic Pattern?

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 05:57:47 PM »
One obvious use is crafting magic items with it. A Holy Avenger can be crafted as an invisible holy avenger by using invisible (that spell that makes materials), invisible fabricate to make it into a sword, and then add invisible to all of the spell effects that go into the Holy Avenger. You now have a completely invisible weapon, at no additional cost.
Am I the only person who thought of Fate/stay night?
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2009, 07:05:45 PM »
So, my favorite Invisible tactic before Spell compendium came out (and changed the subschool), was to use invisible shades to duplicate dragon ally.

How's somebody going to determine if something exists or not when they can't see it? 
Planetouched Handbook

mans0011

• Curious George
  • Too much Aizen Hate to go around....
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 08:32:48 PM »
How's somebody going to determine if something exists or not when they can't see it? 

The profundity of this statement has long-dead metaphysics philosophers turning in their graves. ^_^
OOC-well for that matter he could just ride on my sword, that's about 15' ;)
OOC - That's what SHE said!  But, otherwise, that works for me, if you guys are willing.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2009, 09:56:57 PM »
Combine with a high CL Control Weather for invisible tornadoes.

Invisible Cloudkill = Carbon Monoxide?
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2009, 10:01:29 PM »
i want invisible water... with an invisible aboleth...
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2009, 10:16:22 PM »

If the effects of Invisibility are rendered invisible, wouldn't the result be a visible creature?

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2009, 10:20:47 PM »

If the effects of Invisibility are rendered invisible, wouldn't the result be a visible creature?

But...would True Seeing work in that case?

I'd love to put this question in front of CustServ and see what they do. My bet would be on them hiding under the desk for five minutes.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2009, 10:22:50 PM »

How much wood would a woodchucker chuck, if a woodchucker could chuck wood?
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.