Author Topic: Random Musings on Charging  (Read 2296 times)

JanusJones

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Random Musings on Charging
« on: May 26, 2008, 12:23:44 PM »
This arose out of a reply to someone on a random WotC-board thread, and I thought I'd share it here instead of there.  This is basically a bit of musing on my approach to charging, which is generally un-Frenzied in its bent.

For crazy multipliers to damage on a charge, try this:

Headlong Rush (Races of Faerun)
Valorous Weapon (Unapproachable East)
Abyss-Bound Soul - Baphomet (Fiendish Codex II . . . I think)
Horned Helmet (Races of Faerun)
Battle Jump (Unapproachable East)
Leap Attack (Complete Adventurer)
Shock Trooper (Complete Warrior)

Personally, I'd skip on Horned Helmet, as you're better off with the 1.5xStr mod from a two-handed weapon (and all the attendant power attack benefits) than with another stacked x2 multiplier.

Let's assume a Water Orc (since they get a handy +2 Con) with these feats.  Let's also grant said Orc a ranseur and 20 levels of +1 BaB classes.

Ahem.

• 18 base Strength, +4 from Race, +5 from Tome, +5 from levels, +6 from and item.
  • Total = 38 Str.
  • Rage for 42 Str (we won't even touch Greater Rage, the possibility of Frenzy, Reckless Rage, or any of those nasty tricks).  This means a +16 modifier to hit and damage.
  • +20 BaB, so attacks at +20/+15/+10/+5 become +36/+31/+26/+21.  Add +5 to that for a magical weapon for +41/+36/+31/+26.
  • Pounce is a gimme.  Yay for Lion Totem Barbarians!
  • Total multipliers to base damage: x2 for Headlong Rush, x2 for Valorous, x2 for Battle Jump, x2 for Abyss-Bound Soul = x5 damage on a charge.  Wheee!
  • Power Attack becomes a 1-3 ratio with Leap Attack, and confers no penalty to attacks if using Shock Trooper (who needs AC anyhoo?).  20x3 = +60 damage per attack.
  • Multiply this bonus by charge multipliers, and we have 60x5 = +300 damage per attack.
  • Base damage from a +5 Ranseur and a 42 Strength would be 2d4 (base) + 5 (enhancement) + 24 (Str).  (2d4+29) x 5 = 10d4 + 145.
  • 10d4 + 145 + 300 = 10d4 + 445 damage per attack.
  • With 4 attacks, this makes for 40d4 + 1780 damage on a pouncing, raging charge.  This comes to 1820 - 1900 damage on a charge.

Please note that I am NOT accounting for Warblade maneuvers like Time Stands Still, Raging Mongoose, etc., nor am I putting the character under the effects of a Haste spell or any other similar tricks.  There has also been no pre-buffing with the Druid spell "Rhino's Charge" (isn't that the name?), which would further up the damage (a TON!). 

This could also be tricked out by using two-weapon fighting, making the character multi-headed, or even dropping Headlong Rush in favor of making a TWFighter who would be able to receive the benefits of two-handed weapon damage on more than one weapon (either by using Revenant Blade or the Diopsid from Dragon Compendium).

The ultimate, of course, would have to be . . .

Lion Totem Barb 1/Fighter 2/Crusader 2/Warblade 2/Frenzied Barbarian 10/Crusader 1/Warblade 1/Whatever 1.

Or something like that.  The potential for abuse with Supreme Power Attack is disgusting.

Of course, you could also synergize all this on a Dungeoncrasher Knockback build . . .

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
Re: Random Musings on Charging
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 12:45:38 PM »
Leap attack grants a 100% increase in PA damage, see CAdv errata :)

And the spell you're looking for is Rhino's Rush, it's a lvl 1 Paladin spell ;)

~Bowen
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 09:52:38 AM by BowenSilverclaw »
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 01:10:47 PM »
Beat me to it. That would change the math to PA for 4:1 = +80 damage, becomes 545 per hit and 2,180 total.

Course, one hit is all you need but hey.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 03:07:08 PM »
What about the cavalier's unstoppable charge ability? Of course to make the most of it, you would need to play a gestalt centaur...
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 06:02:14 PM »
One of my favorite chargers:

half orc halforcparagon3/monk11/bearwarrior1/warmind5

*18 base str, +2 from race, +2 from half orc paragon, +5 from levels, +5 from tomb, =6 from item for a total of 38
*+8 str in bear warrior rage, +2 str from warmind's chain of personal superiority, so we're up to 48 str
*17 BAB with attacks at 17/17/17/12/7/2 on a greater flurry, 3 natural attacks (2 claws and a bite), and possibly 1 more attack with a snap kick at -2 to all my attacks
*Feats: wild talent, power attack (from overwhelming attack monk variant), improved bull-rush (from overwhelming attack monk variant) extra rage, jumping kick (an extra 1d12 damage on my unarmed strikes when charging), snap kick, improved overrun (overhwhelming attack monk again), shock trooper, leap attack, multi-attack
*Lots of math later we get a lot of damage

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 05:34:05 AM »
DUDE! Just today I was looking up an old thread of mine wherein similar was discussed. Kinda funny. Diving Charge was also suggested; I assume that with battle-jump you don't mind a leaping charge. Course, with that, you'd have to use a piercing weapon. And with headlong rush, something like Robilars or Karmic strike would be nice for absorbing the potential in all those attacks you'd be taking. I like to learns.  ^-^ Where's logicninja's learning cat image?......