Author Topic: Good idea or bad idea? The Duskbard.  (Read 1391 times)

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • /castrandom - even we don't know what it's about
    • Email
Good idea or bad idea? The Duskbard.
« on: February 28, 2009, 09:48:36 PM »
So, I was looking at the duskblade in the PHB2 recently, and noticed that it has Rouse, Color Spray, and True Strike on its casting list. Those are first level spells (albeit not always very good ones) of the Enchantment, Illusion, and Divination schools. That means that all you need to do is gain Perform as a class skill, and you'd be able to get into Prestige Bard with a duskblade entry. This gives you a pretty broad array of spells and spells known.

Actually, you could probably work up something like:

Duskblade 3 / Human Paragon 2 / Prestige Bard 5 / Sublime Chord 2 / Human Paragon +1 / Prestige Bard 7

You'd have something like 7 levels of duskblade casting, bard-only spells added to the duskblade list, Inspire Courage base of +3/+3 (easily increasable to +6/+6 if you wanted via the Badge, Spell, and Feat), and 9 levels of sublime chord casting (that's a 9th-level spell). Human paragon gives you the Perform ranks you need to enter Prestige Bard.

The only hurdle to that build (which I just kind of threw together off the top of my head) is that you need 3rd-level arcane spells before you can enter Sublime chord, so you're missing 2. You could use Earth Spell to qualify, although that's three feats (earth sense, heighten spell, earth spell), or maybe sanctum spell instead. That's even easier. Or you could delay entering sublime chord by 2 more levels and go Prestige Bard 6 / Human Paragon +1. You'd only get to SC 7 then, I think.

But I'm not sure if this is at all good, just something that came to me when I was looking over the duskblade, since I'd been thinking about the prestige bard anyway. Anybody like this? I guess sublime chord has MAD issues, since it's a charisma-based caster. Hmm.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Re: Good idea or bad idea? The Duskbard.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 09:55:33 PM »
I dunno if there's actually anything worth channeling on the bard spell list. With sublime chord, yeah, you COULD do it, but it seems like a bad idea to me, for some odd reason. Duskblades don't really care about wizard spells outside of Wraithstrike (although channeled Finger of Death or some other save or die would rock).

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 11:14:47 PM »
Bad idea

There's really no synergy between duskblade and bard and most of the good touch attack spells the duskblade likes are low level wizard spells.

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • /castrandom - even we don't know what it's about
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 12:23:22 AM »
Oh well. I guess this is an example of: just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD. At the very least, you'd have a relatively high inspire courage, but I have the feeling that a standard sublime chord/virtuoso would be better anyway.