Author Topic: remember the iron siege?  (Read 33304 times)

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
Re: remember the iron siege?
« Reply #140 on: May 31, 2011, 12:16:50 AM »
Skill level?

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #141 on: May 31, 2011, 12:23:28 AM »
Something like that. They are stronger, better defended and more versatile. All around better.

Handy Links

Demelain

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #142 on: May 31, 2011, 01:25:34 AM »
If I recall, the tower can be destroyed if the souls used to build it have their mistakes corrected/reconciled (stated by you, I believe).
Were a God of Forgiveness or some such to privy to that information, would it be viable to spend a few hundred thousand years dismantling the Tower soul-by-soul?
Alternatively, could one become a Lord of the Nine Hells (probably by dispatching the weakest current Lord)? It would certainly simplify the "finding" part, since Dispater shows up to the Evil Tea Parties. Then it's just a matter of disabling him, dragging him back to Dis, and finding a way of dispatching him WITHOUT being instantly reamed.

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #143 on: May 31, 2011, 01:54:38 AM »
Something like that. They are stronger, better defended and more versatile. All around better.

*nods* good

Daniel678

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #144 on: May 31, 2011, 03:08:52 AM »
Here is the tl;dr of my character on page 4
Consolidated Statistics[spoiler]

Defenses[spoiler]

Stats AC: 180, Fort: 215, Ref: 230, Will: 258, FH 13, SR 85, DR 40 vs Epic Evil/Wood
Abilities: Evasion, Mettle, Spell Immunity, Repel Missiles, Divine Dodge (68%)
Spells: Otiluke's Suppressing Field (CL 132), Dampen Magic (-21), Anticipate Teleport (Greater), Ironward, Superior Invisibility
Epic Spells: Extemporaneous Aura, Cloak of Magical Invincibility, Epic Consecrated Stealth Planar Bubble, Esoteric Aegis

[/spoiler]
Activated Attacks and Abilities[spoiler]

Special Attacks: Aura of Despair (DC 108), Constitution Drain (DC 108), Seize Concentration, Snatch Spell, Extract Brains (DC 85), Divine Aura (DC 91), Aura of Menace (DC 110), Instant Counterspell (Mastery of Counterspelling), Know Secrets, Power of Luck, Turn Undead, Turn Air Elementals, Divine Blast (81d12 damage 66/day)
Special Abilities: Metamagic Effect, Cosmic Connection, Innervated Speed, Time Regression, Alter Size, Extraordinary Spell Aim, True Knowledge, Reroll 91/day, Cosmic Connection

Factotum: Total Inspiration Points (125), Cunning Insight (1), Cunning Defense (1), Cunning Breach (2), Cunning Surge (3)

[/spoiler]
Senses[spoiler]

Skills: Spot: 233, Listen: 233, 1 free spot and listen check per round
Divine: Senses extend to 1 mile/level or 100 feet/level vs Cosmic Entities
Sight: Clearsight (ESH: Distance, Metal, Abjuration Spells), See Magic, Ghost Sight, True Seeing, Lifesense
Other: Blindsense 50 miles, Blindsight 500 feet, Divine Air Mastery 180 feet

[/spoiler]
Immunities[spoiler]

Racial: Mind-affecting effects, poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, energy drain, fatigue, exhaustion, negative energy, effects that require a fortitude save, death from massive damage, dehydration, heat, polymorph
Class: force effects, surprise , divination effects which would reveal my location
Feats:freedom of movement, acid, cold, electricity, fire, sonic
Spells: dazed, nauseated, sickened, staggered, unconsciousness through HP loss, positive energy,metal, dispelling, metal, {blindsight, blindsense, scent, and tremorsense while the person with those senses can't see me}
Divine: Imprisonment/Binding

[/spoiler]
Actions[spoiler]

Standard Actions: 3/turn + 1 mental/turn41/encounter
Move Actions: 1/turn
Movement Move Actions: 1/turn + 1/turn (65/day)
Swift Actions: 1/turn + 7 Quickened Spells/turn + 20 DC30 Swift Actions/turn + 65/day
Free: 1 Spot, 1 Listen
Note: One of the movement move actions requires a swift action to use

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Some other neat things are that any weapon that my character holds is treated as a +18 weapon with +63 worth of bonuses. He has a total of 84 feats and he has +300 hide/move silently/slight of hand.

It took a good many hours to make this character as ready as he is and I doubt that what I have so far will be enough. I do not suggest starting this unless you have a lot of time to spend.

Also, does anyone have the TGoH books? It seems that they are no longer on Dicefreaks.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 03:12:58 AM by Daniel678 »

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #145 on: May 31, 2011, 03:18:21 AM »
I do, I can send them to you tomorrow

Daniel678

« Reply #146 on: May 31, 2011, 03:25:33 AM »
Fantastic, I'm just starting an internship so I'm going to be a bit busy and I'm not sure that I'll be ready by the 11th. However I'm sure that I'll be able to find the time to finish off my character. Would it be possible to schedule a tentative date for an attempt in late June/July?

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #147 on: May 31, 2011, 03:30:31 AM »
Alternatively, could one become a Lord of the Nine Hells (probably by dispatching the weakest current Lord)? It would certainly simplify the "finding" part, since Dispater shows up to the Evil Tea Parties. Then it's just a matter of disabling him, dragging him back to Dis, and finding a way of dispatching him WITHOUT being instantly reamed.
You might be able to do it if you were already a candidate for Lord of the Nine prior to your coup(i.e. an archdevil or a VERY powerful Duke of Hell that hadn't pissed off Asmodeus THAT much). Doing it as an outsider to the Hells is going to be much more impossible.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

WarlockLord

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #148 on: May 31, 2011, 03:45:19 AM »
Hmm.  Also Kezef has that unblockable teleport without error at will thing...I'm beginning to wonder if there isn't some way to build a god around summoning him and keeping him alive.  We know he can go at least 1 year per hour, but our god's immortal and hopefully can protect the dog...this would probably be better if I actually knew the epic or deity rules. 

I would like to see someone knowledgeable try using this guy though.  Would advancing him substantially be allowed and having that be the entry?

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #149 on: May 31, 2011, 03:53:00 AM »
You might be able to do it if you were already a candidate for Lord of the Nine prior to your coup(i.e. an archdevil or a VERY powerful Duke of Hell that hadn't pissed off Asmodeus THAT much). Doing it as an outsider to the Hells is going to be much more impossible.

Not impossible, Malagarde 'did' it (with some help)

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #150 on: May 31, 2011, 04:47:16 AM »
I like the idea of a god of forgiveness fixing the sins of the souls in the Iron Tower, thus destroying the tower.  Flowing Time/Timeless Genesis would mean you could do this for all the souls in the blink of an eye... so would that be a workable option?

JaronK

Daniel678

« Reply #151 on: May 31, 2011, 05:08:18 AM »
It has been stated that any origin story/destruction scenario of the Iron Tower is conjecture at best and would probably be misinformation.

Also, as a lord of the nice, attacking Dispater at whatever the name of the big meeting is would probably not go over well with Asmodeus. I'm pretty sure that there would be some sort of truce in place during those meetings.

In my opinion a better solution would be to attack Dispater after he has left for the meeting but before he gets there. You might also be able to summon Dispater from the meeting. That could even cause Asmodeus to be angry at him for not being there while he was required. I don't think he's cares about excuses.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #152 on: May 31, 2011, 05:24:10 AM »
The truce being the threat of being stripped of Lord-dom by Asmodeus and then smacked down by every Lord present probably.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #153 on: May 31, 2011, 09:24:18 AM »
If I recall, the tower can be destroyed if the souls used to build it have their mistakes corrected/reconciled (stated by you, I believe).
Were a God of Forgiveness or some such to privy to that information, would it be viable to spend a few hundred thousand years dismantling the Tower soul-by-soul?
Far as I recall this was only mentioned as an anecdote suggested by Kain Darkwind, one of the writers of the Gates of Hell rather than a part of the actual canon. It also seems unlikely that the Tower is made of souls, since it has existed before the Dawn of the Gods and thus ought to be older than mortals...

Twe two quotes below ought to explain why attacking him during the Processions of Perdition would not work.

Quote from: Daniel678
Also, as a lord of the nice, attacking Dispater at whatever the name of the big meeting is would probably not go over well with Asmodeus. I'm pretty sure that there would be some sort of truce in place during those meetings.

Quote from: veekie
The truce being the threat of being stripped of Lord-dom by Asmodeus and then smacked down by every Lord present probably.

Not impossible, Malagarde 'did' it (with some help)
In the DF canon?

Also, late June should be fine.

Handy Links

Demelain

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #154 on: May 31, 2011, 02:55:18 PM »
Far as I recall this was only mentioned as an anecdote suggested by Kain Darkwind, one of the writers of the Gates of Hell rather than a part of the actual canon. It also seems unlikely that the Tower is made of souls, since it has existed before the Dawn of the Gods and thus ought to be older than mortals...

Eh, I went digging for it, found it in the attempt by Colossus, clockwork god of Law from Nirvana. He was going for a trade agreement, and his knowledge abilities got him that information.
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19524050/Iron_Siege_attempts:_The_Great_Graveyard&post_num=86#331777378

Not sure if it was just flavor text or not, but it has been established as a possibility. If it works, great, the Iron Tower is now a huge obstacle that has been overcome. If it doesn't, well, you're that God of Redemption. You still feel warm and fluffy inside.

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #155 on: May 31, 2011, 03:42:27 PM »
I was just speaking 3e, I haven't read DF stuff in a long time

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #156 on: May 31, 2011, 03:47:51 PM »
As the post states, there is no official stance regarding it and I reiterated a possibility first annouced by Kain Darkwind.

Edit: For the purposes of the challenge I am using the DF fluff in all relevant and overlapping cases. Most of Dispater's entry in Fiendish Codex II seems right on though.

Handy Links

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #157 on: May 31, 2011, 04:42:01 PM »
*nods*

i think i stopped on DF right after they starting the Gates of Hell stuff and making Demon Lords/Princes/etc

Daniel678

« Reply #158 on: May 31, 2011, 05:28:09 PM »
Spending some time working on my character. I changed his weapon bonuses to be [spoiler]

7 Evil Outsider Dread: 4 enhancement, 4d6 dmg, DC 27 Fort save on crit or dust
1 Psybane: 2 enhancement, 2d6 dmg
1 Magebane: 2 enhancement, 2d6
1 Evil Outsider Bane: 2 enhancement,  2d6 dmg

24 Acidic/Icy/Fiery/Lightning Blast: 18d6 elemental dmg, extra on crit
8 Holy Power: 3d6 holy (good) dmg, 1 neg level, extra on crit
2 Axiomatic: 2d6 dmg, law aligned
2 Holy: 2d6 dmg, good aligned
2 Fierce: Dex bonus to dmg, no dex bonus to AC

5 Vorpal: Cut off heads on a nat. 20
2 Wounding: 1 con dmg
3 Necrotic Focus: Channel dry lich con drain (1d6 con dmg)
2 Transmuting: After striking overcome their DR for 10 rounds
1 Ghost Touch: Deal normal damage vs incoporeal

2 Skillful: Grants proficiency
1 Morphing: Standard action to reshape into another weapon of the same type
1 Sizing: Standard action to change size catagory

1 Eager: 2 Initiative
1 Warning: +5 insight to initiative

[/spoiler]

As always any suggestions or criticisms are appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 05:29:59 PM by Daniel678 »

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #159 on: May 31, 2011, 05:36:30 PM »
Unless Tshern banned it, it seems to me that using Flowing Time/Timeless Genesis is an obvious key to victory, as it allows you to spam insane numbers of attacks without ever having a response against you.  An Epic Runesmith could get Genesis as a Spell Like Ability 2/day (standard action to cast) which allows for a huge demiplane just to get started.

JaronK