Author Topic: Please help with a tob lockdown and mage slayer build  (Read 2687 times)

Caylin

• Monkey bussiness
Please help with a tob lockdown and mage slayer build
« on: February 25, 2009, 07:41:40 PM »

Eldariel

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Re: Please help with a tob lockdown and mage slayer build
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 08:19:10 AM »
Adaptive Style is rather poor for a Warblade; you can't prepare much less than what you know. Steady Concentration is worthwhile if you intend on a lot of Diamond Mind. Being able to take 10 on your saves and damage rolls is all good. And I definitely think you have the right class build; do consider that 1-level Barbarian-dip to get Pounce though as being able to Pounce with maneuvers such as Bounding Assault and Battle Leader's Charge is very awesome and definitely superior to having Pounce with just Pouncing Charge. The other dip-option is Monk, taking the Decisive Strike-variant to buff your AoO damage (although it has the "if").

I assume you aren't interested in the Deformity/Deformity: Tall-plan? It boosts your reach, but is really eww roleplaying wise (well, deformity in general). I'd still consider Shock Trooper even if you aren't specifically a Charger. That said, Improved Trip is also fine as a damaging alternative to Stand Still when possible, as is Combat Expertise > Karmic Strike (requires extra Int & Dodge-variant though, so it's expensive). Since you're two-handing, Improved Buckler Defense is considerable. Also, Deft Opportunist for +4 on your AoOs isn't bad; makes it easier to keep people still.

Since you have Mage Slayer, consider Pierce Magical Protection and Blind-Fight > Pierce Magical Concealment. Concealment means no AoOs so the latter is definitely awesome and the former could be useful to penetrate the defenses of a given heavily buffed caster. You could get Blind-Fight as a Warblade bonus feat later on to avoid the associated costs.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 11:36:37 AM »
Knockback can be fantastic for a lockdown guy. You can trip them with a touch attack (which you power attack for 4 on), then hit them again and bull rush them with a +8 on the bull rush. Combine with 2 or 6 levels of Dungeoncrasher for more damage, and with Shock Trooper, you can use its directed bull rush and that third option to trip people by basically flinging their allies into their shins.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 04:36:35 AM »
I'll make a counter argument (Mostlikely to late, but hey)

The best wizard killer I've ever known is a Sorcer with leadership feats, You just sit back, throwing counterspell, dispel, and antimagic, and let your cohort kill them all!
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 08:24:42 AM »
Knockback can be fantastic for a lockdown guy. You can trip them with a touch attack (which you power attack for 4 on), then hit them again and bull rush them with a +8 on the bull rush. Combine with 2 or 6 levels of Dungeoncrasher for more damage, and with Shock Trooper, you can use its directed bull rush and that third option to trip people by basically flinging their allies into their shins.
I second this. AND this works especially well as a Goliath or something that is really large.

The best wizard killer I've ever known is a Sorcer with leadership feats, You just sit back, throwing counterspell, dispel, and antimagic, and let your cohort kill them all!
And I'll second this, too, because it's just automatically true. Replace Sorc with whatever suits your casting style, probably a sorc isn't half-bad in this situation. I prefer the Dread Necro so he can add more meat, but that's just me.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 08:28:01 AM »
And I'll second this, too, because it's just automatically true. Replace Sorc with whatever suits your casting style, probably a sorc isn't half-bad in this situation. I prefer the Dread Necro so he can add more meat, but that's just me.
I like sorc because of the high spells per-day and the narrative fell of it...
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 01:25:28 PM »
Sorceror loses the contest because at one point the wizard has access to spells which a sorceror can't dispel, as a result of its lame delayed casting.

Sorceror should really gain spell levels earlier than wizard.

Caylin

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 01:57:13 PM »

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 04:54:07 PM »
Definitely take Pierce Magical Protection/Concealment, if they're available.  They're too good not to take, especially when you consider that the range of spells that "grant a bonus to Armor Class" includes Alter Self, Polymorph, and Shapechange (if the form being assumed has a natural armor bonus,) Haste, and a lot of other staple buff-spells. 

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 05:36:17 PM »
Sorceror loses the contest because at one point the wizard has access to spells which a sorceror can't dispel, as a result of its lame delayed casting.

You clearly haven't been looking at the dispel monkey builds out there.  You can dispel 9th level spells with Dispel magic if you get enough plusses to your dispel check.

Hmn, I wonder if you can counter spell with Psionic dispel magic...

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 05:51:14 PM »
transperancy says "yes"
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 07:51:24 PM »

You clearly haven't been looking at the dispel monkey builds out there.  You can dispel 9th level spells with Dispel magic if you get enough plusses to your dispel check.

Hmn, I wonder if you can counter spell with Psionic dispel magic...

That depends if the DM is using the optional rule in which Psionics and magics are the same, or radicly different

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 09:04:46 PM »
transperancy says "yes"
The text of the power says no. Dispel Psionics can dispel powers or spells equally well under transparency rules, but DisPsi can't counterspell: it's missing the Counterspell option present in DisMag. It's a very reasonable houserule however.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 09:14:48 PM »
I was actually talking about the level before you get access to dispel magic. At that level, you cannot counterspell anything reliably.

It's not really a huge deal, but early spell access is >> late spell access. Plus the ability to throw spontaneous spells (IE, spam counterspells) is cool.