Author Topic: Iron Chef Challenge Special Edition: Homebrew  (Read 4861 times)

Heliomance

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Iron Chef Challenge Special Edition: Homebrew
« on: February 23, 2009, 03:37:03 PM »
The deadline for joining is Friday the 27th, and the deadline for sending in your build will be Friday the 6th.  Thats a total of 11 days, which should prove enough. These events might be delayed if problems occur.
_______
Updated Rules
1. Menu: For most challenges, the "secret ingredient" will be drawn from Core plus Completes.  There will, from time to time, be special challenges that showcase secret ingredients from other books--for example, the XPH.

2. Kitchen: Competitors will be free to use any official 3.5 material in constructing their builds.

3. Cooking Time: Contests will be announced a week in advance, to give people time to sign up.  The "secret ingredient" will be announced from the outset.  Contestants will have one week to create their builds and email them to the Chairman (most likely me, at least for the first few.)  Builds will then be posted simultaneously, to avoid copying.

4. Judging will be based on the following criteria, with each build rated from 1 (very poor) to 5 (exemplary) in each area: Style, Control, Damage and Aggression Originality, Power, Use of Secret Ingredient.

5. Builds will be posted anonymously, in order to avoid the potential of bias towards a particular competitor.

6. Please don't post or speculate on possible builds until the "reveal," in order to avoid spoiling the surprise if a particular competitor is producing a build along those lines.

7. Leadership is banned; we're producing a meal, not a seven-course banquet for a hundred diners.
_______

Judges:

Challengers:

Ingredient:
The Disciple of Metal

On submissions:
just PM the character sheet to me, in  http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=178.msg1955#msg1955  "Standard Character Sheet" format (first one).  Anything else, and its annoying to reconfigure it.  After I'm done sorting through them, I'll mail 'em off to the judges (via PM) and have 'em do their thing.

Please submit snapshots of the build at levels 5, 10, 15, 20 and a "sweet spot" of your choosing. A precis of how the character plays at each spot and tactics it uses is appreciated, but not mandatory.

Characters should use 28 points buy.

Cheese level:
These are, after all, the CharOp boards. Mild cheese is perfectly fine, but as any connoisseur knows, too much cheese can utterly overpower the flavour of the dish, ruining its subtlety. Please, no cheese fondues, but a light garnish of melted cheddar or brie can often work well.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 04:09:45 PM by Heliomance »

sonofzeal

• Curious George
Re: Iron Chef Challenge Special Edition: Homebrew
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 03:44:41 PM »
I'll judge this one.

SixthDeclension

• King Kong
  • "Wit is educated insolence."
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 04:03:58 PM »
Actually participating. Got a build already.
My choice place for buying Magic: the Gathering Singles: adventuresOn.com

Currently DMing a Solo PbP, Check it out here

Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green,
That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown,
That host on the morrow lay withered and strown.

Heliomance

• Email
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 08:49:55 AM »
Bump. Is no one interested in this?

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 09:37:28 AM »
I liked the other one, so i'll give it a try :D
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 10:25:12 AM »
I think the reason why there are not more responses to this is the choice of ingredient.  In effect, you are asking the judges the use licorice in their dishes: while many find the taste appealing, others find it appalling. The disciple of metal is a type of flavor that is an acquired taste, and not many chefs will want to include it in their cooking.  likewise, not as many judges will want to have to try and judge the taste of something they never liked to begin with. 
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 02:18:41 PM »
ill try ... but right now WoTC is doing Maintenance.. so i dont Know what the Ingredient is... if someone could re-post it here... there would be no problem

:D

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 02:47:57 PM »
Uhhhh.... I wanna participate... but I might not have time!

I LOVE THE DISCIPLE OF METAL! LOUDER THAN HELL1

sonofzeal

• Curious George
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 03:25:24 PM »
ill try ... but right now WoTC is doing Maintenance.. so i dont Know what the Ingredient is... if someone could re-post it here... there would be no problem

:D
It's down for me too, but here's the basics....

- PrC tailored for bards (requires Bardic Music, most class features based on music)
- Half-casting advancement, spells count as Divine
- Heavy Metal themed.
- Can use instrument as a martial weapon (now your Axe is also an axe!)
- Gain a number of "euphonies" (Heavy Metal themed awesome buff stuff, like DR or Animate Dead, as special uses of Bardic Music)
- Gain a number of "cacophonies" (Heavy Metal themed awesome offensive stuff, like Dominate Person or sonic damage attacks, as special uses of Bardic Music)

I've DMed for a Disciple of Metal, and the player had really weak optimization skills, but still managed to be effective.  Some of the euphonies/cacophonies are potentially exploitable, and there's a few other class features that have optimization potential, but in general the class is pretty well balanced IMO.  It's definitely one of my favorite homebrews, both for awesome flavor and effective crunch.  The challenge is that there's obviously no outside support for it, there aren't any handbooks for it or any famous tricks, there isn't much of a logical continuation of the class after the 10 levels (same problem as most PrCs really).

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 07:09:21 PM »
I'll participate.

*throws the horns*

Veneratorial

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 09:39:49 PM »
Edit: Withdrawing my request to join as I realize I do not have time.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 09:49:54 PM by Veneratorial »
It takes a great man to realise that he is wrong, this makes me an awesome man, I realise this all the time!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 02:13:08 AM »
I'm trying for the greatest negative score in this challenge.  If nobody else enters, I'll win by default.

Blue mage 10/ Rainbow servant 10.

Originality: None whatsoever.
Power: Your character appears.  One round later his head explodes from cleric spells exceeding spells known by a ridiculous number.  Yeah.
Use of Secret ingredient: No.
Street legality: Low.

Actually, could you alter the topic title to make it clear what's being done?  I was getting all excited for a special challenge (no items! homebrew only!  Final destination!), and then wasn't.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 04:56:58 AM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 05:30:06 PM »
Mad_Linguist, I think the challenge is to optimize the Disciple of Metal, not any homebrew class.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 06:42:04 PM »
Mad_Linguist, I think the challenge is to optimize the Disciple of Metal, not any homebrew class.
Yeah, I realized that partway through working on a BM optimization, which made me a little irritated at myself.  Which is why I threw together the least optimal BM thing I could, since I didn't want to read through the entirety of the variant bard.  I might at some point make a DisM Priest of the Unseen Host reflavoring for the challenge, but that depends on time available.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 01:41:16 AM »
Just to clarify:

Judge
sonofzeal

Participants
SixthDeclension
Akal-Saris
Dictum Mortuum

Possibly participating
carnivore
woodenbandman
Mad Linguist

Amadi

• Email
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2009, 03:29:16 AM »
I think the reason why there are not more responses to this is the choice of ingredient.  In effect, you are asking the judges the use licorice in their dishes: while many find the taste appealing, others find it appalling. The disciple of metal is a type of flavor that is an acquired taste, and not many chefs will want to include it in their cooking.  likewise, not as many judges will want to have to try and judge the taste of something they never liked to begin with. 

No, what he's asking is for you to colour the food pink and add all kinds of other "lulz" stuff into it. Admit that you laughed when you read through that PrC. :p

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2009, 08:07:23 AM »
read some of it, but it was a bit TL;DR
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2009, 09:25:02 PM »
It's a lot cooler if you recognize the song titles.

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 03:20:56 AM »
Despite the fact I think this PrC is silly and whatnot, the thread itself makes me laugh. Specifically the first reply; "Most. Hardcore PrC. EVER." The sheer irony and lulz in that statement blows my brains on the wall.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 02:02:23 PM »
I JUST NOW had a character concept, but it's too late to join and I wouldn't get much time to work on it anyway. :(
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]