Author Topic: Optimizing a Black Ethergaunt for gestalt?  (Read 7804 times)

Silent Wayfarer

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Optimizing a Black Ethergaunt for gestalt?
« on: February 22, 2009, 12:29:37 PM »
This is an outgrowth from the Awesome Monsters thread. Basically, we all know that Black Ethergaunts are insanely boss and have almost everything a level 20 wizard has and more. Now, assuming that LA and RHD only counted on one side of a gestalt... what else would you put on the other side?

Also, is there a +1 LA template or a feat that can make the Black Ethergaunt an outsider? Because turning all its HD into outsider HD would make it a combination skillmonkey, beatstick and a combat wombat at the same time...

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
Re: Optimizing a Black Ethergaunt for gestalt?
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 12:38:19 PM »
Definitely put a PrC that advances casting (Incantatrix, say) on the other side of the levels that are taken up by LA. Now, how many Persistent self buffs per day does that make?

wooden: Otherworldly has regional prereqs, though.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 12:40:57 PM »
That could be insanely powerful...

"Keeps mouth shut about otherwordly for the Black Ethergaunt ScM"

Be a ScM Incantatrix and Factotum of at least 8th level for the ability to take extra standard actions and Int to everything Str and Dex based...

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 12:48:04 PM »
I thought shadowcraft mage requires "race: gnome".... how are you pulling that one off?
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Silent Wayfarer

• Email
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 12:48:49 PM »
I thought of otherworldly, and I know it's an FR racial feat. Thing is, isn't it only available to certain elf subraces?

I was thinking of the LA +2 Half-Celestial template, the one which doesn't have SLAs. Mainly for the wings, stat buffs, and the fact that it's going to look like Overdrive Sin from FFX. :p

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 12:49:15 PM »
Forgot that...

He got allowed to skip racial prereqs for ScM...

Anyways, you could take the PrC that includes you in Gnome society :D

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 12:53:55 PM »
I thought shadowcraft mage requires "race: gnome".... how are you pulling that one off?
What are these "requirements" you speak of?
One word and a number: Stoneblessed 3.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 01:25:40 PM »
What are these "requirements" you speak of?
One word and a number: Stoneblessed 3.

That was what I was talking about... Didn't remember name, though...

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 03:06:51 PM »
There might be a way to circumvent the prereqs of Otherworldly in Champions of Valor, not sure. I'm AFB right now, but I posted it in AC's Cleric handbook, should be in the last 2 pages...

Aside from that, there's an adaptation section for ScM's in RoS where it mentions that it might be possible for non-gnomes to enter ScM IIRC.

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 03:12:17 PM »
Yeah, it mentions something about a special cabal...

anomalousman

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 05:59:14 PM »
I second the thought of some factotum after you get your casting to full.  Your really unusual feature as an ethergaunt is your Int, and there are few better ways to exploit it.  Archivist would be another good way, but it would work better if you had the levels to take it all the way to full casting.  Factotum works fine many levels short of 17.

Watch out when taking templates (good idea, btw) that you don't overlap with LA from the ethergaunt side, wherever they are deemed to be.  Phrenic would also be nice.  Extra Int, power resistance, some decent PLAs.

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 06:09:57 PM »
I think at least 3 Factotum levels is great for BoB, possibly 8 for Cunning Surge or 11 for Cunning Breach...

And use some PrCs like Incantatrix or IoSV

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 06:53:24 PM »
Regional feats are based on your character's background, not their race, so Otherworldly works.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Cyrocloud

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 09:41:44 PM »
Why not try for dragon instead of outsider, you don't have to worry about low level resurection spells not working(probably not a big deal if its a BBEG), you get d12 HD instead of d8, immunity to paralysis and sleep effects, and low light vision(not sure if this really matters much).  In exchange  you would lose 2 skill a level, the not needing of food and sleep, and proficiency with martial weapons(from the outsider type).

Depending on what you want to do Dragon may be the better option, how to get the dragon type is a bit harder than the outsider type but may the better of the two to pick.  The only way I can think to pull this off is half drag, but that has 3 LA, Incarnate construct would lower that to +1, but I think that would make you lose the subtype then.

Heliomance

• Email
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2009, 09:55:17 PM »
Incarnate Construct can't be applied due to the fact that you're not a construct.

Silent Wayfarer

• Email
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 03:33:44 AM »
Well, for one thing, d12 vs d8 HD is not a humongous difference for a non-beatstick, paralysis and sleep effects tend to be rare and weak enough that there's no point protecting against them, and Black Ethergaunt's Total Vision (Ex) ability completely trumps low-light vision.

However, not needing food and sleep is a big, big deal, so are skill points and proficiency with martial weapons is not a huge benefit but it's much more helpful than anything half-dragon can bring to the table, besides, maybe wings and breath weapon, both of which a wizzard can circumvent with ease.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 04:29:28 AM »
I would feel like putting something multipurpose on the other side, like Binder or Incarnate. Lots of bonus versatility and abilities which can play off your casting.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Silent Wayfarer

• Email
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2009, 04:33:35 AM »
Factotum is definitely a shoo-in; Warblade might be a good dip for various Int to stuff abilities. Unfortunately I don't know much about optimizing binders or incarnates, though I hear binders are insanely versatile with their abilit
y to bind bunches of vestiges...

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2009, 05:26:31 AM »
And ofcourse a Warblade dip is great for that Roar of Effort :D
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol