Author Topic: Spaceship build  (Read 4144 times)

Veneratorial

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Spaceship build
« on: February 16, 2009, 05:42:16 PM »
While getting a spaceship may seem nonsensical to you, it is of dire importance to me, what I need is a build that can construct a functioning spaceship around level 10-13 ish, in hopefully less than 100 years.

Possibly something artificer and leadership, followed by more leadership from the cohort for the manpower.

Also, materials are kind of scarce, the party is currently in a salt flat covering about 70% of the world.

Oh, and most of the party is undead.
It takes a great man to realise that he is wrong, this makes me an awesome man, I realise this all the time!

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
Re: Spaceship build
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 05:44:17 PM »
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=150.msg1246#msg1246

Bam.

If you prefer a simpler solution, you could just make a big box and attach a few dozen decanters of endless water for propulsion.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 05:52:05 PM »
ya, endless water and endless heat is decent... but i would just go with a force effect for movment.

maybe take one of otuliks spheres and play 'explorers'..
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 06:35:17 PM »
A 10th-level rogue can take the Distant Shot and Fling AllyRoS feats, allowing it to throw creatures to any position it can see.

If you really want a "ship", throw a hollowed-out Colossal undead with the party inside. There are plenty of ways for the thrower to teleport to the party afterwards.

See if you can get an item of at-will, 1 round duration reverse gravity which you can use to create a "lift".
An artificer could create an item of at-will reverse gravity for 144,000gp. Add the clause "can only be used by artificers" to bring the cost down to 100,800gp.

Failing that, I don't see why a creature with a magical flight speed couldn't just fly straight up into space. Warlocks make a good choice for this, as their flight is at-will, and they get energy resistances to help them survive. A carpet of flying would be a good investment (unless your DM takes that "fly through the air" part literally).

IIRC, exposure to space deals 1d6 points of cold damage and 1d6 points of bludgeoning damage per round. Being undead is a big help, as you don't have to worry about an easily-ruptured air supply as long as you have resistance to cold. Poison the rest of the party or something and turn them into necropolitans.

You could use the "psion sandwich" trick (polymorph an inanimate object into a creature, use astral seed and mind switch to permanently possess it, then let polymorph's duration expire) to get a psion party member with a spaceship for a body, then have him transport the rest of you.

Of course, if you're just going to use the spaceship to escape some calamity, there are much simpler methods (eg. plane shift at level 9)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 06:43:29 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 06:52:49 PM »
Take a look at "living in a flying box"

You don't have to be as extreme about it... (multiple party members taking "landlord") ought to be sufficient

Remember that in space you're weightless, so a constantly repeating magical trap of "mage hand" can propel your ship 15 ft/round, and you can buy hundreds of them.

Also, I don't think you can take distant shot unless that's a cheesewrought kobold rogue, since it's an epic feat.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 06:57:16 PM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Bell

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • The Goddamn Batman
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 06:56:44 PM »
Every time I come across Tsuyo's Vicstar Crafter, I can't help but laugh. I know the punchline, and I laugh heartily anyway.

I am curious though, what do you need a spaceship for?

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 07:02:34 PM »
Same here.
I can't add more useful advice than what's given already, but I am curious :)
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Veneratorial

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 07:12:05 PM »
Well, I can't say I really do need a spaceship, but think of the advantages! For example: adamantine is mined from meteors... Oh shi-!
No, I do not have a flying castle, I have a castle in ORBIT!
Profession (Astronomer) = go to other planets!
Conquer space when you're done with your own world.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 07:14:18 PM by Veneratorial »
It takes a great man to realise that he is wrong, this makes me an awesome man, I realise this all the time!

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 07:32:40 PM »
a space ship isnt needed for most of that.. except having one in orbit...

what really sucks.. if your build the vicstar.. and put it in orbit... some random pc is gonna board it and either destroy it or take it over... even if you do they sandwich trick..

'are you saying i can has a space ship? no, im saying you dont need one.."  welcome to dnd , we have magic and cookies.. lots of them.

Anim-manga sux.

Veneratorial

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 07:43:32 PM »
Well, it's hard at level 10, and right now our ever growing army of undead is doing everything for us (unless the DM (Anklebite, by the way, he is an mean DM) wants us to fight one of his wis to AC thrice saints with distrupting fists... Oh, and a spaceship is a great way for getting away from said saint), and setting up a mining operation in space through the use of spaceships just makes things more awesome.

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 07:45:56 PM »
Perhaps you could go the Tardis route.  The "ship" itself doesn't need to be large, or particularly comfortable; simply make sure that the door to the ship is also the door to your Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 09:33:59 PM »
My campain's party has some pretty far-fetched goals....

the necromancer plans to, and is eventually accomplishing, the ascent to godhood.   the guy who started this thread (and who can't keep the same char for longer than two sessions, so I actually don't know what he is playing anymore) plans on conquering the entire material plane...

well, if anything, I guess it counts as true roleplay.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Veneratorial

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 09:46:40 PM »
In my defence, I constantly find something new to play, and he's the only DM within 100 miles I know about.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 09:58:48 PM »
whoa, such high praise... heh

Anim-manga sux.

Veneratorial

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 10:24:59 PM »
My evening prayers are to him... I live in the bunk below him, he farts too much, I die.

Mushroom Ninja

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 11:30:42 PM »
Here's a RAW legal Spaceship.  I'm not sure if you'll ever be able to construct the proposed model or not, but the thread addresses some issues of space flight that you may want to look into.

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 11:56:05 AM »
Here's a RAW legal Spaceship.  I'm not sure if you'll ever be able to construct the proposed model or not, but the thread addresses some issues of space flight that you may want to look into.

That thread is made of win.  I really like the campaign idea about using the evil artificial AI and the gate idea for a campaign...  Instead of gating to the place you want, you end up in Hell... AKA Event Horizon...  but give it a creepy feeling instead...

Mushroom Ninja

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 04:29:36 PM »

That thread is made of win.  I really like the campaign idea about using the evil artificial AI and the gate idea for a campaign...  Instead of gating to the place you want, you end up in Hell... AKA Event Horizon...  but give it a creepy feeling instead...

Yeah, we almost ended up running a campaign based around using the ship designed in the thread.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 06:27:42 PM »
Heh, should remember some of this stuff for my Airship :D

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 07:07:40 PM »
You can use siege crabs as shuttles (it's a creature in... MM2 I think... that lets characters ride inside it and cast spells through it).

The big question, though: When are we going to build the Chouginga Dai-Gurren? :D ("Pun-Pun polymorphed into the moon" is not a valid answer)
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]