Author Topic: How can you maximize a magelord?  (Read 12229 times)

mavriskyla

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
How can you maximize a magelord?
« on: February 14, 2009, 07:15:35 PM »
Hello everyone.

Happy Valentine?s day!! :D :D

I am trying to think what could put the magelord?s abilities to maximum effect. Without dipping into many different PrCs, how do you optimize a simple arcane caster9-10/rogue2/magelord8? Maybe put one dip into something? (incantatrix 1 maybe??)

And speaking of optimising, the build mentioned in the LEoF (evoker magelord, full blasting spells) is kinda lame, don?t you think? Which spells would be prefered choices for mastering?

Ending this request, could someone please provide a build with full magelord progression? I know it will fall into epic rules, but I think our DM will take us to epic level someday (nevermind how badly written/outdated/3rd edition the epic rules are).

Thank you very much in advance and please forgive any spelling/grammar errors, but fluent use of English is a few levels away for me...  :embarrassed

EDIT no.1:  Magelord is a PrC from lost Empires of Faerun. All 3.5 books allowed by our DM, everything Faerun related, nothing from other campaign settings.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 07:28:59 PM by mavriskyla »

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
Re: How can you maximize a magelord?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 07:17:39 PM »
Where is the Magelord located?

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

mavriskyla

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 07:27:39 PM »
OOPS!!   :embarrassed :embarrassed :embarrassed

I'm terribly sorry, first post edited with details for the PrC!!

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 07:38:17 PM »
For the record, the magelord can be found here.

If you could squeeze two levels of Divine Oracle into the build, you might be able to max out magelord before epic levels that way and not lose any caster levels (specifically because the entry for Prescient Sense refers to the ability as "this form of evasion"). It's a bit of a stretch, but worth running past your DM.

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 08:03:51 PM »
The dark Creature template also gives evasion, if you can get LA buyoff.

If using DivOr, also grab a level of Loremaster; they share a feat prereq, and you can get a bonus feat as a secret, thus getting the feat you blew on Skill Focus: Knowledge (Religion) back.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 08:07:42 PM »

If using DivOr, also grab a level of Loremaster; they share a feat prereq, and you can get a bonus feat as a secret, thus getting the feat you blew on Skill Focus: Knowledge (Religion) back.

If you're using Divine Oracle, then it'd probably be best to use Spell Mastery with divination spells.

Of course, that's somewhat inferior to the wizard ACF Spontaneous Divination, unless you think the ability to apply metamagic feats to the spells outweighs the fact that you can only cast a few of them spontaneously.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 08:25:31 PM »
Here's a build for full Magelord casting, requires a couple of variant rules though.

[spoiler]
Glimmerskin Halfling
Wizard 5/ Combat Medic 5/ Magelord 10
NG
Variants: Fighter feat wizard, 1 flaw

1 ) Wizard - Combat Casting, Imp Init(b), Dodge(b)
2 ) Wizard
3 ) Wizard - Arcane Disciple: Tamara (Healing Domain)
4 ) Wizard
5 ) Wizard - W.F. (Ray)
6 ) Combat Medic - Spell Mastery
7 ) Combat Medic
8 ) Combat Medic
9 ) Combat Medic - Signature Spell
10 ) Combat Medic
11 ) Magelord
12 ) Magelord - Maximize Spell
13 ) Magelord
14 ) Magelord
15 ) Magelord - Spell Mastery
16 ) Magelord
17 ) Magelord
18 ) Magelord - Spell Mastery
19 ) Magelord
20 ) Magelord
[/spoiler]
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

mavriskyla

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 10:53:15 PM »
Here's a build for full Magelord casting, requires a couple of variant rules though.

[spoiler]
Glimmerskin Halfling
Wizard 5/ Combat Medic 5/ Magelord 10
NG
Variants: Fighter feat wizard, 1 flaw

1 ) Wizard - Combat Casting, Imp Init(b), Dodge(b)
2 ) Wizard
3 ) Wizard - Arcane Disciple: Tamara (Healing Domain)
4 ) Wizard
5 ) Wizard - W.F. (Ray)
6 ) Combat Medic - Spell Mastery
7 ) Combat Medic
8 ) Combat Medic
9 ) Combat Medic - Signature Spell
10 ) Combat Medic
11 ) Magelord
12 ) Magelord - Maximize Spell
13 ) Magelord
14 ) Magelord
15 ) Magelord - Spell Mastery
16 ) Magelord
17 ) Magelord
18 ) Magelord - Spell Mastery
19 ) Magelord
20 ) Magelord
[/spoiler]

combat medic? for what? a wizard that spontaneously casts cure spells? I?m not being sarcastic, but other than the fact that you get the whole magelord before ecl 20, is there any particular strategy?

Arcane-surge

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 11:03:03 PM »
Combat medic gives actual evasion without a loss of caster levels.
This space intentionally left blank.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 11:36:04 PM »
I remember when this class came out, there was a comment from the designer that the editors screwed up; the requirement was supposed to be 4th level spells (not 5th), thus allowing you to get all 10 levels in pre-epic.  I don't have any link to said info, however.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 11:37:29 PM »
Pfft, if we let something silly like design flaws get in our way, we wouldn't be what we are today. :P

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 07:26:28 AM »

It doesn't

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 07:45:25 AM »

One of the magical locations actually gives you Skill focus (Knowledge: Religion)

Handy Links

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 08:02:01 AM »

One of the magical locations actually gives you Skill focus (Knowledge: Religion)

Frog god's fane, IIRC.

From complete scoundrel, obviously.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Soda

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2009, 12:51:42 PM »
I'd ask your DM to allow the Divine Oracle's Prescient Sense to count as evasion. It's actually better.

Wizard 5 / Divine Oracle 2 / Full casting 2 / Magelord 10 / xxx 1
Fighter feat variant for Improved Initiative.
Spontaneous Divination for spontaneous fun.

Divine Oracle 4 would be ok if you want to keep it simple. Gets uncanny dodge and can roll twice with divination spells.

Unseen Seer (Complete Mage) would be cool, but the skill prereqs are tough. If your DM doesn't allow divine oracle, then it'd be good with the rogue levels.

Rogue 1 / Wizard 5 / Rogue +1 / Unseen Seer 4 / Magelord 9

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2009, 04:56:47 PM »
Soda's second build is probably how I'd spin it, since I don't think either divine oracle or combat medic are legal by RAW (or even RAI, for that matter - what does being an oracle of the gods or a battle healer have to do with being a ruthless mercenary wizard?).

Rogue 1/Wizard 5/Rogue +1/Keeper of the Cerulean Sign 4/Magelord 8/Archmage 1 or something might be pretty good though. 

Magelord seems like an awful PrC though...Spell Mastery is a truly pointless feat in most games (and I suspect it almost encourages DMs to steal the PC's spellbook, just so the feat gets some use...), and the PrC seems determined to turn the character into a sorcerer with some sneak attack thrown in on the side.

On a sidenote, WotC got pretty clever with the evasion requirement, making sure to prevent entry with a ring of evasion.  Who says those guys never learn?

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2009, 05:02:32 PM »
Combat Medic is RAW, it give you evasion.  And flavor is mutable, but to each their own in that regard.
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2009, 06:53:06 PM »
Shadow template (Lords of Madness p. 168). LA buyoff. Wizard with fighter bonus feats. Magelord 10.
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2009, 08:57:30 PM »

Combat Medic is a good call, and a battle healer can easily be a ruthless mercenary. Does the Medic's heal spells still count as Conjuration? Cause some Sneak Attack, orbs spells and 2 levels of Unseen Seer makes you a deadly shot. Take the Practised Spellcaster feat to make up for Seer's caster loss. Take the Ranger spell that lets you get 1d6 SA for every 3 caster levels using the Seer's advanced learning feature.

Makes for a flexible caster, and if you every do use SA it won't be piddly. You can cast any conjuration spell you know without a spellbook including heal spells. Good flavour all in all.
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2009, 09:26:27 PM »
Soda's second build is probably how I'd spin it, since I don't think either divine oracle or combat medic are legal by RAW (or even RAI, for that matter - what does being an oracle of the gods or a battle healer have to do with being a ruthless mercenary wizard?).

Rogue 1/Wizard 5/Rogue +1/Keeper of the Cerulean Sign 4/Magelord 8/Archmage 1 or something might be pretty good though. 

Magelord seems like an awful PrC though...Spell Mastery is a truly pointless feat in most games (and I suspect it almost encourages DMs to steal the PC's spellbook, just so the feat gets some use...), and the PrC seems determined to turn the character into a sorcerer with some sneak attack thrown in on the side.

On a sidenote, WotC got pretty clever with the evasion requirement, making sure to prevent entry with a ring of evasion.  Who says those guys never learn?

Flavor is mutable.   And losing 3 CL's sucks.

Divine oracles are in no way "oracles of the gods".  They do prediction, not prophesy.
Medics are among the *most* valuable mercenaries you can hire.  They make the whole army happy to know you have 'em.
Plus, magelords don't *have* to be mercs either.